Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
    I call b.s. too as external demo had begun before the end of the season (escalator tubes) and the bleacher demo is no more a hazard than the box seat demo that began many months ago.

I suspect that what is closer to the truth is that internal demo has been going on for months and that Ye Olde Yankee Stadium is finally ready for the big machines.
    How are fans suppose to get to the new stadium from the metro train and the harlem river parking lots if the exterior of the 3rd baseline of the stadium is blocked up for demo.

Please... explain that me? I would love to know.

If you ask me you people are just looking something to complain about.
    Last edited by Coach Bombay; 11-10-2009, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach Bombay View Post
      How are fans suppose to get to the new stadium from the metro train and the harlem river parking lots if the exterior of the 3rd baseline of the stadium is blocked up for demo.

What do you mean "you people?"

Comment

What do you mean "you people?"

HAHA, that made me laugh, but seriously... they had no choice, they couldn't block off that walk way.

Comment

HAHA, that made me laugh, but seriously... they had no choice, they couldn't block off that walk way.
          I still don't know what the walkway has to do with anything considering that the stadium has been in a state of demolition since long before that sidewalk was made available.

It's not a complaint, it's a fact.

Comment

I still don't know what the walkway has to do with anything considering that the stadium has been in a state of demolition since long before that sidewalk was made available.

It's not a complaint, it's a fact.
            You need that walk way for fans coming to the game from the Metro Train and the Harlem River parking lots.

Demolition process has done been in full gear. If it was that whole walkway would be blocked off for fans safety, and obvously they can't do that for the reason above.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
              Monsieur Reginald Martinez Jackson's residence.

aka Senor Octubre
              I did not know that. Apparently he's thinking about building a stadium in Camel and installing the letters
              Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

You need that walk way for fans coming to the game from the Metro Train and the Harlem River parking lots.

Demolition process has done been in full gear. If it was that whole walkway would be blocked off for fans safety, and obvously they can't do that for the reason above.

Why is that so hard to understand?
                It's not hard to understand, I just don't see how it's relevant to anything. Folks are saying that the demo kicked up after the season, I contend that it's been going on all along, and you're all about a sidewalk.

Comment

If you wish to be persuasive and convincing in your writing, may I suggest you refrain from the insulting and over-reaching term - "you people" .

Two people only, have engaged you on this issue, but your broad brush swipe at "you people" - insinuates that "Ralf" speaks for all of us.

Let me assure you - he doesn't speak for or represent my ideas - now or ever!

Last edited by LINYUSA; 11-10-2009, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                    Really?? I didn't know that - how are they going to be arranged?
                    Unknown how they are going to be arranged,but the news that two sections would be used came out recently from Steiner. Two sections were sold, two saved for the park and the rest will be cut up into pieces large and small.
                    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Well, my seats are gone now. Its funny, I can't help but wonder how close it is right now to the original dimensions.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                        Unknown how they are going to be arranged,but the news that two sections would be used came out recently from Steiner. Two sections were sold, two saved for the park and the rest will be cut up into pieces large and small.
                        I heard the exact same thing.

Comment

• Wow. 1976 letters, 1937 bleacher concrete. Going...going...

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeDean View Post
                            Wow. 1976 letters, 1937 bleacher concrete. Going...going...
                            Yes, but the letters are not 1976. They were up since the 50's. Even though the letters symbolized the 1976 Stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
                              I did not know that. Apparently he's thinking about building a stadium in Camel and installing the letters
                              Camel? Reggie moved to Egypt?

Comment

• Hello all,

While these pictures strike quite the heartbreaking chord with me, I feel I must set the record straight on a few things.

1. Demolition was supposed to begin back in August, but has been repeatedly delayed due to permits and other red-tape problems going through the city of New York. Before that, they were removing asbestos pieces (as we all know) and small things here and there.

2. It has been known since around May, possibly April, that two sections of the frieze would be in Heritage Field. The two sections will form a backstop for the little league field at ground level. There will also be a walkway above where the frieze is and the uppermost section of the frieze will form a sort of railing for said walkway. (I hope this makes sense as it even seems a little confusing to me.) This was presented in an early Design Commission meeting, a Bronx Community Board #4 meeting and a Bronx community update on the demolition of Yankee Stadium and construction of Heritage Field.

3. Concrete from the Stadium will be crushed on-site and used to fill in the land to bring Heritage Field closer to street level than it is now. It will still be slightly below, however.

4. The Parks Department's most current plans for Heritage Field (which are as of yet only about 50% complete), will feature a series of plaques that tell of specific events in Yankee Stadium history, two light poles that will be painted yellow and placed near the original foul poles (I am unsure if this would be the pre or post-renovation poles), second base on the full-size "championship" field would be "in the vicinity" of Yankee Stadium's original home plate, and with some photos of what Yankee Stadium once looked like, tourists would be able to align themselves with a couple of spots to get a feel for that once stood.

5. In a stunning turn of events, the Parks Department took this plan before the NYC Design Commission for approval (on 10/26/09) and their plan was strongly rejected, being told that it "lacked creativity and imagination and did not capture the spirit or the soul of the old Yankee Stadium".

This is due largely to the fact that, at present, there are no plans for the Parks Department to include anything from the pre-1976 Yankee Stadium. It is because of this that their plan was "tabled" by the Design Commission and Parks was sent back to the drawing board.

Members of the Save the Yankee Gate 2 committee were on hand as well as a representative of the committee to commemorate Old Yankee Stadium. Both parties spoke and several members of the Design Commission stated that they would support seeing Gate 2 at Heritage Field-- even explicitly suggesting that Gate 2 be incorporated as a way to convey the massive and majestic appearance of Yankee Stadium.

6. There is no set time table for the Parks Department to return to the Design Commission for approval, but we are keeping a close eye on things so as to stay prepared for another hearing.

Indeed, things are getting interesting. The Parks Department knows that they need to show something powerful and moving from the original, pre-1976 structure; they were shown NO support by the Design Commission and furthermore Gate 2 has become an extremely prominent suggestion, not only by the committee, but to be brought up by the Design Commission truly speaks volumes for how much this plan makes sense.

This does not guarantee Gate 2's preservation and conversion to a stand alone monument to the mystic and aura of the original Yankee Stadium, but it is definitely a step in the right direction.

If anyone has any questions, I would like to direct you to our website (listed below my signature) and would like to extend an open invitation to email me at savetheyankeegate2(at)gmail(dot)com.

Thanks to everyone who has shown support so far!

Richard
                                www.savetheyankeegate2.com
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by RichardLillard1; 11-11-2009, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X