Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JCCC View Post
    I never really thought it would actually happen, but..........In no time the most significant and historic stadium in sports history will be gone, discarded and destroyed and never to be seen again. It is regrettable, that it had to come to this.........I'm just so surprised and shocked that somehow it wasn't prevented. This movie clip best represents my feelings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31QUOUxqz2M
    New York dropped the ball on this one. Boston, Detroit and Chicago have been far more sentimental and have shown a much greater appreciation for history than New York. I'm a big fan of Giuliani because he did a great job cleaning up New York in his first-term (his second term was a failure because he spent his term unsuccessfully fighting the bureaucracy) but years from now when just about everybody regrets the passing of the real Yankee Stadium Giuliani will be regarded as a villian who did the bidding of Yankee ownership and all they had to give him was free seats to 15 games a year.

I think the new stadium is one of the most unfortunate, blandest, most generic edifices ever built and it symbolizes everything that is wrong with modern architecture.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
      I'm not sure what the eventual plans the Dodgers have for Dodger Stadium, but they did a great job replacing all the seats. I would like to have the Yankees replace all the sun drenched 33-year-old seats, and to keep the bean counters happy I could've lived with removing 1,500 seats in the loge by adding some luxury boxes. But other than this Yankee Stadium was a perfect baseball stadium. Sure, at times the lines heading to the bathrooms were long, especially for the ladies but smart fans knew the shortest bathroom lines were in the right-field lower deck in fair territory.
      Be unsure no more: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la...xt50/index.jsp

And the shortest lines were just before the end of the bottom of an inning.

Comment

• They've put the kibosh on those plans, thank Axl.
        No one can make you
        Do what they want to
        You know you're stronger
        Than the lies
        That they tell you

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
          New York dropped the ball on this one. Boston, Detroit and Chicago have been far more sentimental and have shown a much greater appreciation for history than New York.
          I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that. New York has always shown they are willing to improve the city. Just look at what they did with Times Square. It went from one of the sleaziest place in the city, to a tourist attraction. Same thing with the MTA. The subway was not a place you wanted to find yourself often, but they improved it.

How has Detroit honored their history? By letting Tiger Stadium rot for 10 years? Would you really want to stare at a run down building every time you went to a Yankees game? I wouldn't. Chicago can polish a turd all they want, but at the end of the day Wrigley is an unsafe over-hyped dump. They would be much more successful if they built a NYS-esque ballpark for the Cubs. Point is: OYS was severely outdated, cramped, and would be unsafe in another 10 years. Looking at what the renovation really covered, many of the stadium was original to 1923. People always think the 1974 renovation was a "re-opening" of Yankee Stadium, but all they really did was re do the outfield and spruced it up. Much of the foundation is original, so much upkeep wasn't performed. It was only a matter of time until someone died or got hurt. They might not be demolishing the place with class, but thats another issue. In my opinion, the new stadium was a necessity.

Comment

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
            I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that. New York has always shown they are willing to improve the city. Just look at what they did with Times Square. It went from one of the sleaziest place in the city, to a tourist attraction. Same thing with the MTA. The subway was not a place you wanted to find yourself often, but they improved it.

How has Detroit honored their history? By letting Tiger Stadium rot for 10 years? Would you really want to stare at a run down building every time you went to a Yankees game? I wouldn't. Chicago can polish a turd all they want, but at the end of the day Wrigley is an unsafe over-hyped dump. They would be much more successful if they built a NYS-esque ballpark for the Cubs. Point is: OYS was severely outdated, cramped, and would be unsafe in another 10 years. Looking at what the renovation really covered, many of the stadium was original to 1923. People always think the 1974 renovation was a "re-opening" of Yankee Stadium, but all they really did was re do the outfield and spruced it up. Much of the foundation is original, so much upkeep wasn't performed. It was only a matter of time until someone died or got hurt. They might not be demolishing the place with class, but thats another issue. In my opinion, the new stadium was a necessity.
            I have to agree with you there dude, on every aspect. Dont get me wrong, Im the kind of person that hates change and I'm a die hard yankees fan. I appreciated what happened in the old ballpark but when people come on and complain and this and that, there is nothing you can do. You have to stay positive and realize that change has occurred. The old stadium had many flaws and in my mind, the cons outweighed the pros. I personally love the new stadium witha few exceptions here and there but in the end, its the same game that was played across the street. Its baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by tugger View Post
              It's like they said in the Ken Burns NY doc: New York is constantly tearing down and rebuilding. It's not a sentimental place. The question was "what's it gonna take to get people to spend $1,000+ to watch a baseball game?" The answer is NYS. Like Michael Corleone said, "It's not personal; it's just business."
              No - at least in part, it's deliberate government malfeasance - this is a public plan, paid for by taxpayers not a private corporation. The elected officials and their appointees bear responsibility for this preservation crime, and for the government-sanctioned 'business' it poured public resources into - very strange that citizens in this town let 'em do it.
              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by JCCC View Post
                New pics from WCBS.

Man, now things are really starting to crumble.

This is just wrong on sooo many levels. It's beyond the capacity for rationalization. Stomach wrenching for sure. I think I'm gonna hurl!! Yeah...I know...life moves on. But still......

Comment

• I can respect peoples sentiments and the value they have for a beloved park, especially the original Yankee Stadium.

But thats what happens. We progress, we move on.
                  Nothing lasts forever.

What they need to do now is tear it down and press hard for the Gate 2 idea and saving that one little section. There has to be something.

Comment

• I never respected much off what Yankee folk thought. Not alot, but some. But I respect almost all the comments off "paperboys' sentiments. Now, paperboy I mean you no disrespect . . . but I do adore perspective. I think once you've reflected on those rich words . . . you will only see the wisdom.

Damn near makes one a Yankees fan. Nah. ;-)
                    Last edited by DiggerODell; 11-21-2009, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                      No - at least in part, it's deliberate government malfeasance - this is a public plan, paid for by taxpayers not a private corporation. The elected officials and their appointees bear responsibility for this preservation crime, and for the government-sanctioned 'business' it poured public resources into - very strange that citizens in this town let 'em do it.
                      So the Yankees had no choice, no say in the matter?

Comment

• Originally posted by DiggerODell View Post
                        I never respected much off what Yankee folk thought. Not alot, but some. But I respect almost all the comments off "paperboys' sentiments. Now, paperboy I mean you disrespect . . . but I do adore perspective. I think once you've reflected on those rich words . . . you will only see the wisdom.

Damn near makes one a Yankees fan. Nah. ;-)
                        Missed ya Digger! I agree with what everyone else said. It's just ignorance. But to each his own. Making blunt statements like that will never do any good.

Comment

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
                          Missed ya Digger! I agree with what everyone else said. It's just ignorance. But to each his own. Making blunt statements like that will never do any good.
                          He (paperboy) meant well mets, but I admit you crossin' over to say a word means alot. Crossin' over in the sense of speakin' up for the "bad guys" . . . that is "fanmanshiip" . . .if there is such a term. Not sure I'd be big enough for a Dodger sit . . . the team at least or the park. The folk . . . I dig the hell out of em.

Comment

• FINALLY! A reality show worth WATCHING!

(Courtesy of TV Squad.com)

GRANDERSON HAS STADIUM SECRETS TO SHARE
                            Posted Nov 20th 2009 1:04PM
                            by Allison Waldman

Lately, Detroit Tiger all-star outfielder Curtis Granderson has been in the news because he might be joining the New York Yankees. However, if Major League Baseball free agency doesn't make him a household name, television might. Granderson has an idea for a reality series that's being shopped around now and it's not like anything else other athletes have pitched.

Granderson's series is called Stadium Secrets and it will be like History Channel's Cities of the Underworld. In fact, it might be suited to the History Channel. Granderson would host the show and lead viewers into the inner recesses and hidden passages of famous stadia around the world -- although it'll probably start with American locations.

Think about going into the back doors at Wrigley Field or under the stands at Fenway Park. Even a tour of the newer places like the Dallas Cowboy monolith or the new Yankee Stadium would be fascinating. I like this idea. It's not Terrell Owens' ridiculous VH1 series, The T.O. Show, nor is it the bizarre Keyshawn Johnson decorating show on A&E, Tackling Design.

Granderson has legit producers working with him, the same company that does Ace of Cakes and Flipping Out, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this on the air in 2010.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                            www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                            www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by tugger View Post
                              So the Yankees had no choice, no say in the matter?
                              No, of course they did! They were/are partners with government...
                              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
                                (Courtesy of TV Squad.com)

GRANDERSON HAS STADIUM SECRETS TO SHARE
                                Posted Nov 20th 2009 1:04PM
                                by Allison Waldman

Lately, Detroit Tiger all-star outfielder Curtis Granderson has been in the news because he might be joining the New York Yankees. However, if Major League Baseball free agency doesn't make him a household name, television might. Granderson has an idea for a reality series that's being shopped around now and it's not like anything else other athletes have pitched.

Granderson's series is called Stadium Secrets and it will be like History Channel's Cities of the Underworld. In fact, it might be suited to the History Channel. Granderson would host the show and lead viewers into the inner recesses and hidden passages of famous stadia around the world -- although it'll probably start with American locations.

Think about going into the back doors at Wrigley Field or under the stands at Fenway Park. Even a tour of the newer places like the Dallas Cowboy monolith or the new Yankee Stadium would be fascinating. I like this idea. It's not Terrell Owens' ridiculous VH1 series, The T.O. Show, nor is it the bizarre Keyshawn Johnson decorating show on A&E, Tackling Design.

Granderson has legit producers working with him, the same company that does Ace of Cakes and Flipping Out, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this on the air in 2010.
                                Nice find RichieA13! You know, this makes me like Curtis Granderson even more. I just wish the Old Stadium was around for this show.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X