Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
    I agree with the second part definitely. But I also feel like the average person is getting dumber and dumber and more easily amused by the sort of things that NYS offers (i.e. big TV's, Hard Rock Cafe's, bright LED lights, etc). Time will tell, I hope I'm proved wrong.
    It's not that people are getting dumber, it's that people are more easily bored, less tolerant of any inconvenience or not having any whim tended to and these clubs want to insure they don't pass up a single "revenue source".

It seems that a lot of people want to "be" at the game and don't want to be inconvenienced or uncomfortable in any way. The new venues are more like resorts than ballparks. The cost of building these places and paying these players which is being reflected in ticket prices and more, is getting to be too much. I rather go to see the cyclones, SI yanks or ducks.

A game, seat, scorecard, beer, hot dog and a place to pee is all I need.
    Last edited by bobo4444; 11-30-2009, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• The problem is everyone is thinking of themselves, there is 3-4 million people these teams have to worry about in a year so they have to try to cater to the tastes of all of them, not just you.
      ------------
      I have been to:

Citi Field, Shea, NYS, RYS, PNC, Fenway, AT&T, CBP, Rangers Ballpark, Minute Maid Park, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, PETCO Park, Coors, Chase Field, Turner, Miami, [email protected], U.S.F., Comerica, Nationals Park, GABP, Progressive, Trop, Miller, Oakland-A C., Dolphin, RFK, Olympic Stadium, Metrodome

Comment

• Originally posted by cringey View Post
        The problem is everyone is thinking of themselves, there is 3-4 million people these teams have to worry about in a year so they have to try to cater to the tastes of all of them, not just you.
        But what about the fact that we never heard complaints of the need for cutting stations, steakhouses, Hard Rock Cafes, and martini bars last year when the Yankees had MORE people come to the ballpark? The ownership forced it down our throats when we never even asked for it. RYS (and I'm sure OYS) was a much better "die-hard fan experience" then the NYS could even hope to be. This, I am not happy about.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
          But what about the fact that we never heard complaints of the need for cutting stations, steakhouses, Hard Rock Cafes, and martini bars last year when the Yankees had MORE people come to the ballpark? The ownership forced it down our throats when we never even asked for it. RYS (and I'm sure OYS) was a much better "die-hard fan experience" then the NYS could even hope to be. This, I am not happy about.
          I'm pretty sure I heard cutting station and martini bar chants from the bleachers in the old place...also the classic "we want a moat!" finally forced the Yankee brass's hands on the matter.
          Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

The problem is everyone is thinking of themselves, there is 3-4 million people these teams have to worry about in a year so they have to try to cater to the tastes of all of them, not just you.
            Actually, many are thinking of future generations who will see their team in a mallpark instead of an historic structure. The selfish ones need a hard rock cafe in a ballpark.

I still cannot believe New York and New Yorkers have learned nothing from Penn Station. It is simply astonishing.
            http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

Yankee Stadium did just fine for 80+ years...all of the sudden it needed to be knocked down and changed to be like everyone else? Nonsense.

In my opinion, New Yankee Stadium SUCKS...i hate it now...and when im a 70 year old man in 40 years i will hate it then too.
              www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean O View Post
                Actually, many are thinking of future generations who will see their team in a mallpark instead of an historic structure. The selfish ones need a hard rock cafe in a ballpark.

I still cannot believe New York and New Yorkers have learned nothing from Penn Station. It is simply astonishing.
                Don't be astonished, Sean. Almost no one here has ever seen Penn Station. It's no longer within living memory, and hence is personally meaningless.

As people become even dumber, and attention spans even shorter, Yankee Stadium will be forgotten.

In fact, I'm sure the Yankee organization will have people believing the present abomination is the original Stadium!

Comment

• Did anyone protest when Hilltop Park went down?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
                    Don't be astonished, Sean. Almost no one here has ever seen Penn Station. It's no longer within living memory, and hence is personally meaningless.

As people become even dumber, and attention spans even shorter, Yankee Stadium will be forgotten.

In fact, I'm sure the Yankee organization will have people believing the present abomination is the original Stadium!
                    Are you forgetting what team is at discussion? The Yankees. Yes, the team that is re-airing the championship parade today for the 1234347th time. The team that releases publications up the wazoo. Don't worry, the Yankees will not soon let us forget about this place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean O View Post

The problem with New Yorkers is that there are so many different activities diverting attention and not everyone cares about the same thing. In Boston and eastern New England EVERYBODY follows the Red Sox which is why the region wouldn't tolerate the destruction of Fenway, the same isn't true in New York because the market is so diverse in every way. Most Yankee fans find this hard to believe but Yankee telecasts don't attract the highest ratings in MLB. The ratings in the Philadelphia market were far higher than New York in the world series, that's because New York doesn't have that community feel that compels people to follow what everyone's talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                        Yankee Stadium did just fine for 80+ years...all of the sudden it needed to be knocked down and changed to be like everyone else? Nonsense.

In my opinion, New Yankee Stadium SUCKS...i hate it now...and when im a 70 year old man in 40 years i will hate it then too.
                        Joe, truer words have never been spoken!! Thank You. In the long run I don't believe the new stadium will end up being the cash cow everyone thinks it is. If people want to continue spending all their money in addition to the high price of tickets and on the bland, overpriced food that is served in the non-elite areas of the stadium, more power to them but their numbers will dwindle, but if I ever go back I'll be sure to eat in the neighborhood eateries before I go because the quality of the food didn't look good to me at all in that stadium and the prices were worse than airports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                          Why is he out of touch? The answer: he's not.
                          Don't get your need to defend him then. You guys can rationalize your perspectives all you want. But they don't jibe with REALITY.

If all people go to the ballgame for is a beer, a hotdog, and a trough-styled urinal, then WHY are these teams making BILLIONS on all the apparently unnecessary ameneties being added?

Comment

• Very true... and you know what... teams like the Cubs and Red Sox, who refuse to provide their fans with the best experience, will eventually fall behind if they don't get a new stadium.

I can't say I am too pleased with the price we have to pay as a fan and as we grow with baseball's financial evolution, but I do know the new stadium has the best of everything. Wider walkways, better food stations, more bathrooms, better dining and better site lines. Also, the stadium did shake for GAME 6 of the World Series, I was there for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                              Actually, YOU seem to be the one who's out of touch. None of the fellow fans I know don't give a rat's ass about fun zones, Hard Rock Cafes, Ferris Wheels, martini bars, t-ball cages or cigar clubs.
                              No, you're hopelessly out of touch, and you actually made my point. None of the fellow fans YOU KNOW.

Hell, for that matter, none of the "fellow fans" that I know EITHER, however, as I've tried to tell you, it's not BASED on what YOU or I know, or are used to, or believe, or think! And the BILLIONS these teams are making off these added ameneties make any argument against them absurd.

So WHAT if you or I or any fellow fans that WE KNOW don't like fun zones, Hard Rock Cafes, Ferris Wheels, martini bars, t-ball cages or cigar clubs, or whether or not we think they're necessary? They're bringing these teams money HAND OVER FIST.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
                                WHY are these teams making BILLIONS on all the apparently unnecessary ameneties being added?

The 3rd most valuable team is the Red Sox, they have a stadium that is 98 years old. The oldest stadium in baseball.

Dodgers are the 4th wealthiest team. They have the 3rd oldest stadium.

Cubs are the 5th wealthiest team. Wrigley=2nd oldest stadium

Angels are number 6 and have the 4th oldest stadium in baseball.

This was also in 2008 figures. Yankees and Mets were 1 and 2. At the time they both had old stadiums and still brought in far more money than other teams.

Looks like amenities have little impact because the wealthiest teams have little in the way of shiny distractions... err, I mean amenities.
                                Last edited by doctor_gogol; 11-29-2009, 04:14 PM.
                                Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X