Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post

Im 31 years old, all my Yankee memories are from RYS...you think im going to all the sudden love New Yankee Stadium and forget about the old one. No chance pal.

So if i hate New Yankee Stadium the same in 40 years i have then wasted my life? That wise man sounds like a moron.
    All one can do is . . . wait and see. I'm sure "new memories" will be accumulated at NYS in a 40 year span. I would never expect anyone to forget memories of their childhood ballpark. Pal.

Comment

Here is my list of what i hate about new yankee stadium...

9. The terrible PA announcer
      Do you really think Paul Olden is that bad, or is it a "nobody can replace Bob Sheppard" issue?

I'm surprised they didn't go with Jim Hall, because he was Sheppard's understudy and he does sound very similar. I hope the reason they didn't go with Hall was because he didn't want the position on a permanent basis.
      X
      What's THAT guy doing?
      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Im 31 years old, all my Yankee memories are from RYS...you think im going to all the sudden love New Yankee Stadium and forget about the old one. No chance pal.

So if i hate New Yankee Stadium the same in 40 years i have then wasted my life? That wise man sounds like a moron.
        CNBC has been recently airing a show about the history of Coca-Cola. There's a segment where the guy who made the decision to replace Coke with "New Coke" told of a call he took from an old woman who was very upset about the change. In the conversation it turned out the woman had not drank Coke in a very long time. "Then why are you so upset," the man recalled asking.

The old woman's answer - "Because you're taking away my childhood."

Same with you, and same with thousands of other Yankee fans. They're taking away your childhood. Just like with me and thousands of Mets fans when they knocked down the Shea Stadium.

As far as "planning" to hate the new Yankee's stadium when you're 70... I wonder if people are taking that comment too literally. It could just be a measure of how much you dislike the place now, rather than a literal promise.

Just as a lot of things have changed in the past 40 years, a lot of things will surely change in the next 40 years. For all we know, in 2049 a 70-year-old JoeDOYS might take his grandchildren to a Yankee game, and reminisce about having tears in his eyes as he saw Derek Jeter's number retired and his plaque unveiled, and how he remembered watching the career of some great Yankee of the future - someone who in 2009 has not even been born yet - from the very beginning.

A beginning that had its start on the north side of 161st Street.
        X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• On the old/new stadium discussion, I think some perspective is needed.

Dodger and Angel stadiums are now among the oldest because of the early (but deserved) demise of the cookie cutters. In fact, Dodger stadium is the original model for the new generation of stadiums: open concourses, amenities,etc. Im sure the old embittered Brooklyn fans HATED it.

It was a radically new kind of baseball stadium in 1962, so well designed that it did not need much updating in the recent renovation. BTW it was designed by Perry Green, who also did Shea Stadium (he was in a slump) and RYS. Dont blame him for the renovation: steinbrenner and the city dictated what they wanted and he did the best he could do, and though I miss original YS, I came to love the renovated version.

As for Fenway and Wrigley, when they were built, they too were state-of-the-art, and Tom Yawkey's renovation in the 30's greatly altered its character. in fact, the fenway park I visited and loved in 1985 NO LONGER EXISTS. It was turned from a single deck to a triple deck stadium (a mini old Yankee stadium) so the Red Sox fans ARE being prepared for a new stadium. As you all know, there was a plan that fell through for a new one only a few years ago.

As for Wrigley, lets see what the new owners and the state of illinois do. I hope they can modernize it and preserve it long-term. Maybe some extra rows can be grafted onto the upper deck as with renovated Yankee Stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeDean View Post

As for Wrigley, lets see what the new owners and the state of illinois do. I hope they can modernize it and preserve it long-term. Maybe some extra rows can be grafted onto the upper deck as with renovated Yankee Stadium.
            I could forsee the Cubs playing on the southside for a couple years while they level Wrigley and rebuild on the same site with the outfield bleachers remaining untouched.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiggerODell View Post
              All one can do is . . . wait and see. I'm sure "new memories" will be accumulated at NYS in a 40 year span. I would never expect anyone to forget memories of their childhood ballpark. Pal.
              People (including Jeter) talk about the memories of the old Stadium, as well as the memories that will come (and have already come) in the new Stadium. Unfortunately, this not what gets me excited about a ballpark. It's not that I miss the memories of the old Stadium, I miss the architecture. The way it was designed, especially the upper deck, is what made it look gorgeous on TV, and made the atmosphere second to done in the history of baseball. I despise the architecture of the new Stadium, especially the upper deck, and this is why I don't think I will ever like it. I am certainly enjoying the new memories at the new Stadium (walk off wins, Jeter's record, World Series, etc), but I still hate the way the stadium looks on TV; this will never change.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bandit12 View Post
                I could forsee the Cubs playing on the southside for a couple years while they level Wrigley and rebuild on the same site with the outfield bleachers remaining untouched.
                You are going to be forseeing for a while. Tom Ricketts has publicly stated that any and all renovations that are done will be done during offseasons and that Wrigley will not be closed during the regular season.

Comment

• Originally posted by bandit12 View Post
                  Northside Cubs fans going to the south side? Not on your life. I only lived in Chicago for a few years and even I know that would be impossible.
                  http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                    People (including Jeter) talk about the memories of the old Stadium, as well as the memories that will come (and have already come) in the new Stadium. Unfortunately, this not what gets me excited about a ballpark. It's not that I miss the memories of the old Stadium, I miss the architecture. The way it was designed, especially the upper deck, is what made it look gorgeous on TV, and made the atmosphere second to done in the history of baseball. I despise the architecture of the new Stadium, especially the upper deck, and this is why I don't think I will ever like it. I am certainly enjoying the new memories at the new Stadium (walk off wins, Jeter's record, World Series, etc), but I still hate the way the stadium looks on TV; this will never change.
                    Thank you.

Its the look and feel of RYS that i will miss. Walking through the small concourses, the smell of cheap beer, pretzels, smoking butts in the ramps to the UD...the whiff of urine as you pass by a bathroom....things like that. Walking through the tunnels to your seat you see that giant majestic ballfield and the organist playing during the pregame warmups...the buzz of the crowd. I dont feel that in NYS.

The new stadium on TV has NOTHING on its predecessor. I dont think anyone can argue with that.

WCBS posted some new pictures today.
                    www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ZeoBandit View Post
                      You are going to be forseeing for a while. Tom Ricketts has publicly stated that any and all renovations that are done will be done during offseasons and that Wrigley will not be closed during the regular season.
                      They're going to do it Fenway-style. You'll get some modernizations, but they'd be insane to spend 800 mil on a stadium when they sell out every game already.

Comment

Thank you.

Its the look and feel of RYS that i will miss. Walking through the small concourses, the smell of cheap beer, pretzels, smoking butts in the ramps to the UD...the whiff of urine as you pass by a bathroom....things like that. Walking through the tunnels to your seat you see that giant majestic ballfield and the organist playing during the pregame warmups...the buzz of the crowd. I dont feel that in NYS.

The new stadium on TV has NOTHING on its predecessor. I dont think anyone can argue with that.

WCBS posted some new pictures today.
                        http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200808023239294

Here's just a random clip I found on mlb.tv of the old stadium. I love watching that place on TV.
                        sigpic

Comment

• The destruction continues.
                          http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/5780484.php

Comment

• i do not support the above pictures.
                            www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Again, it looks like they are preserving the dugouts, and maybe even some of the stands behind third base. any info on that?

Comment

• They didn't get to the third base stands yet, and the dugouts look like they're getting filled in, and will probably be buried. Keep in mind that the whole field level will be buried to bring the park up to street level.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X