Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Motel, fans...

The anti-preservation history-hating wrecking firm of Levine, Trost and Bloomberg will soon be into this steel. You can already see the footings.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• They're well into this concrete now, of course. Well done, New York.
      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
        Is this like the 9th thread you copied and pasted this?
        No just two. There was a guy who was complaining in this and the Target Field thread and I should have just posted it here.

Comment

• This spot now buried under rubble forever. In the name of "amenities."

Comment

• The concrete under these stands are being ripped apart as we sit here - but heck, New York has a martini bar on 161 St!

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
              Thank you.

Its the look and feel of RYS that i will miss. Walking through the small concourses, the smell of cheap beer, pretzels, smoking butts in the ramps to the UD...the whiff of urine as you pass by a bathroom....things like that. Walking through the tunnels to your seat you see that giant majestic ballfield and the organist playing during the pregame warmups...the buzz of the crowd. I dont feel that in NYS.
              Dude, that gives me chills! :bowdown: To one of the best paragraphs about this topic.
              RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeDean View Post
                On the old/new stadium discussion, I think some perspective is needed.

Dodger and Angel stadiums are now among the oldest because of the early (but deserved) demise of the cookie cutters. In fact, Dodger stadium is the original model for the new generation of stadiums: open concourses, amenities,etc. Im sure the old embittered Brooklyn fans HATED it.

It was a radically new kind of baseball stadium in 1962, so well designed that it did not need much updating in the recent renovation. BTW it was designed by Perry Green, who also did Shea Stadium (he was in a slump) and RYS. Dont blame him for the renovation: steinbrenner and the city dictated what they wanted and he did the best he could do, and though I miss original YS, I came to love the renovated version.

No WONDER RYS & Dodger look so familiar - on the inside of course! So Perry designed Dodger & redesigned RYS.
                RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                  People (including Jeter) talk about the memories of the old Stadium, as well as the memories that will come (and have already come) in the new Stadium. Unfortunately, this not what gets me excited about a ballpark. It's not that I miss the memories of the old Stadium, I miss the architecture. The way it was designed, especially the upper deck, is what made it look gorgeous on TV, and made the atmosphere second to done in the history of baseball. I despise the architecture of the new Stadium, especially the upper deck, and this is why I don't think I will ever like it. I am certainly enjoying the new memories at the new Stadium (walk off wins, Jeter's record, World Series, etc), but I still hate the way the stadium looks on TV; this will never change.
                  I can appreciate all of what you have said. I did not mean to direct "memories" as the main source of why one should prefer a ballpark, it was the direction JoeDoys was in and I merely ran with it. All I am saying is time has a way of working things out. I did not appreciate Frank Lloyd Wright architecture when I was 20, as I do at 53. I grew up and thought Candlestick Park would be around forever and even thought it was the best ballpark in baseball . . .hands down back then. I still have a soft spot for it but I know it wasn't God's gift to mankind . . .much less baseball, now.

I wonder if some of the old timers back in '23 . . . did not like the architecture of the new park? Perhaps as time proceeded, it grew on them. I know it's a stretch, to think of someone missing 10 years played at the Polo Grounds back in '23 and suddenly this . . .new . . . place. But it coulda happened? I also believe it is human nature to shun the new . . . but change is the only constant to the human race. I am not, nor will I, change anybody's belief today or tomorrow on the new park . . .nor should I . . . but I say . . . give it time.

I believe the one thing about the new park that peeve's NY'ers off a bit and perhaps rightly so, is that it's so much like the normal stadium now . . . it does not stand out like the old one did. I can appreciate that . . . Old Yankee Stadium was one of a kind . . . never take nothing from that, but in a short time (ok, perhaps 2016 the way this demolition is going) it will be but a memory. Childhood moments will stand still in many ball fans minds. As it should be.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiggerODell View Post
                    I can appreciate all of what you have said. I did not mean to direct "memories" as the main source of why one should prefer a ballpark, it was the direction JoeDoys was in and I merely ran with it.
                    I left out one more thing.

Old Timers Day

This day which meant so much to so many fans now means very little. None of the current old timers ever played in the new stadium...they are now just visitors from yesteryear for the fans to clap at. There was a certain nostalgia seeing guys like Bobby Murcer, Reggie Jackson or Donnie Baseball playing in their old positions.

The first real old timers day will be 10-15 years from now when Nick Swisher comes back out to right field. I am not excited for it.
                    www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

Old Timers Day

This day which meant so much to so many fans now means very little. None of the current old timers ever played in the new stadium...they are now just visitors from yesteryear for the fans to clap at. There was a certain nostalgia seeing guys like Bobby Murcer, Reggie Jackson or Donnie Baseball playing in their old positions.

The first real old timers day will be 10-15 years from now when Nick Swisher comes back out to right field. I am not excited for it.
                      Or 5 years when Mo and Jeet come back.

But you're right - old timer's day in a stadium with only 1 year of history just isn't the same. It's going to take a long time for NYS to fill the shoes of the past stadium. Regardless of the countless memories that are made here, it'll just never be the same. It's like replacing filet mignon with bologna and saying it's still good meat.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeDean View Post
                        Again, it looks like they are preserving the dugouts, and maybe even some of the stands behind third base. any info on that?
                        Nothing is being preserved. We're lucky to have a site like this to look at old photos.
                        Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• I think that in 5 years Jeter will still be playing.

Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                          Or 5 years when Mo and Jeet come back.

But you're right - old timer's day in a stadium with only 1 year of history just isn't the same. It's going to take a long time for NYS to fill the shoes of the past stadium. Regardless of the countless memories that are made here, it'll just never be the same. It's like replacing filet mignon with bologna and saying it's still good meat.

Comment

• Originally posted by sabbathunter View Post
                            I think that in 5 years Jeter will still be playing.
                            It's summertime . . . and the livin' is easy
                            Fish are jumpin', and the cotton is high
                            ohhhh your daddy's rich, and your ma is good lookin'
                            so hush little baby . . . don't you cry

;-)

Comment

Old Timers Day

I cant believe I have to actually type this. These players played for the team, not the stadium. In fact these players technically played half their career (if they were career yankees) AWAY from Yankee Stadium. If you really think about it. Sure a lot of memories were made at old stadium. No one is arguing that, but saying you cant honor your team's legend here because its not the old Yankee Stadium is garbage. Its simple as that. These guys were all Yankees. We are celebrating that, not the fact that they played at the old stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
                                I cant believe I have to actually type this. These players played for the team, not the stadium. In fact these players technically played half their career (if they were career yankees) AWAY from Yankee Stadium. If you really think about it. Sure a lot of memories were made at old stadium. No one is arguing that, but saying you cant honor your team's legend here because its not the old Yankee Stadium is garbage. Its simple as that. These guys were all Yankees. We are celebrating that, not the fact that they played at the old stadium.
                                Why is it, exactly, that you post on the stadium forum? You seem to have no interest or appreciation for architecture, and nothing but animosity for those here that do.
                                http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X