• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^What are you talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post

This spot now buried under rubble forever. In the name of "amenities."
      You never know... 90 years from now, when the new stadium loses its zest and functionality a new YS can be resurrected with even more restaurants and maybe even a shopping mall at this very location.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean O View Post
        Why is it, exactly, that you post on the stadium forum? You seem to have no interest or appreciation for architecture, and nothing but animosity for those here that do.
        Yeah, what ARE you talking about? Appears that you replied to another post.

While I'm at it, to answer someones question regarding the dugouts, I was told that the reason that they're still standing is that they have access to the area beneath the grandstands through the passageway that led to the clubhouse.

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been here, but I catch up before coming to the last page. This demolition was anticipated long ago by a lot of people. I had a feeling that Yankee Stadium had its days numbered when it was renovated and no further substantial maintenance was performed on it. George went on and on about luxury boxes, and they could only squeeze about 50 of them in. He needed (and wanted) a bigger stadium.

Now, I go to a ballgame not to kill time, but usually to see a team or teams that I have a particular interest in, with one, of course, being the Yankees, or when a great pitching duel is eminent. When the game starts these guys are spitting in the dugout, on the field or where ever they are at the moment they need to expel tobacco juice from their mouths. They walk up to the plate rearranging their junk before they step into the batters box, and they spit some more between pitches. Sometimes they pull their shorts out of their ass. If they're lucky enough to hit one in the gap, there's a good chance that they will dive head first into second base, call time, then stand up and once again go through the necessity of spitting an ounce of juice all over the place, rearrange themselves and clear their ass again.

If a pitch "strays" too far inside, or possibly "slips" and goes behind the batters head, not only will both benches empty, but Olympic sprinters come charging in from as far away as the foul poles to engage in something they never saw occur. They're asking what happened while throwing punches, but it's usually not over until the retaliation factor is completed, which could sometimes take as long as the teams next trip to that stadium.

I don't need a luxury box for this. For that matter I don't need a wide concourse, meat market, restaurants, clothing stores, cheese steak, hot dog or a $15 steak sandwich . . . . but I could use a beer or two, though.

I hate the fact that Yankee Stadium has been treated like just another baseball facility that failed to provide any meaningful substance regarding baseball history. Those who make these decisions should be run out of baseball as far as I'm concerned. It's very evident that businessmen are not baseball men, and for that reason alone Yankee Stadium was never considered anything more that a place to play baseball, it's glorious history notwithstanding. They can take the aforementioned amenities and stuff 'em up their wazoo because I don't need 'em. Think about this past World Series. How much more enjoyable would it have been had it been played at the one and only Yankee Stadium? It's too late now. This thread should go down when the walls go down, because after that there won't really be anything to talk about.

Stadiumbuilder, your "cartoon" analogy regarding NYS leveled and Yankee management crawling out of the rubble . . . priceless.

Comment

• I wonder if the Turner demolition employees signed confidentiality agreements preventing them from publishing photographs of this tragedy? I'm sure this demolition is extremely embarrassing to the Yankees. WCBS 880 is doing a good job from overhead but we're not seeing anything from the interior.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
            I wonder if the Turner demolition employees signed confidentiality agreements preventing them from publishing photographs of this tragedy? I'm sure this demolition is extremely embarrassing to the Yankees. WCBS 880 is doing a good job from overhead but we're not seeing anything from the interior.
            Well keep a couple things in mind. Yankee Stadium is pretty closed off so getting good interior shots is hard. Even Shea Stadium demo pictures who were for the most part taken by amateurs like us were not close at first, and it wasn't until the scoreboard came down did fans get to take advantage vantage points in the wide open outfield.
            I think once the demo of YS gets to the exterior, it will REALLY hit home. We will be seeing a lot of pictures on here and I sort of dread how people may react and rightfully so.

Comment

• One thing I will always remember about the Shea demo was driving home from family in Queens last Thanksgiving seeing the "TADIUM" standing. That is when it really drove home what was happening, used to be me looking at it with anticipation for the next year. I am very curious as to what will be uncovered with the demo reaching to the exterior. And what it will look like by OD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
                Well keep a couple things in mind. Yankee Stadium is pretty closed off so getting good interior shots is hard. Even Shea Stadium demo pictures who were for the most part taken by amateurs like us were not close at first, and it wasn't until the scoreboard came down did fans get to take advantage vantage points in the wide open outfield.
                I think once the demo of YS gets to the exterior, it will REALLY hit home. We will be seeing a lot of pictures on here and I sort of dread how people may react and rightfully so.
                I know I will be down there snapping some flicks for you guys. And this is really just sickening but like you said once it hits the exterior then thats when it'll really set in.

Comment

They're well into this concrete now, of course. Well done, New York.
                  That concrete is along the third base side, which they have not gotten into yet. They will in time, however.

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
                    I cant believe I have to actually type this. These players played for the team, not the stadium. In fact these players technically played half their career (if they were career yankees) AWAY from Yankee Stadium. If you really think about it. Sure a lot of memories were made at old stadium. No one is arguing that, but saying you cant honor your team's legend here because its not the old Yankee Stadium is garbage. Its simple as that. These guys were all Yankees. We are celebrating that, not the fact that they played at the old stadium.
                    If you can't see that it was something special to go back and see Reggie trot out to the very spot he played in during his glorious Yankee tenure, they you will never get it. This new stadium can not deliver this feeling. And oh sure it's just the past and we must move on... but this is what the Yankees, to me and many others, was all about. And I say was purposely. They are not about that anymore. But it was this claim to love and embrace their glorious past that separated them for the other teams. Especially in lean years. They have shat upon that notion and God help them when they do going into another lean years senario. They have nothing to keep them afloat during such a period now. Except a Paramus Mall-like ball park with a butcher shop and Hardrock Cafe. But I can get those things without going up to the Bronx.
                    Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
                      I wonder if the Turner demolition employees signed confidentiality agreements preventing them from publishing photographs of this tragedy? I'm sure this demolition is extremely embarrassing to the Yankees. WCBS 880 is doing a good job from overhead but we're not seeing anything from the interior.
                      I bet you are right. And yes, it very much embarrasses them. My guess is they avert their eyes from the old girl as they drive to work or count their money on the way home. Sick people.

Comment

The concrete under these stands are being ripped apart as we sit here - but heck, New York has a martini bar on 161 St!

and for me this stadium in the picture was sadly no more after 1973
                        and the new stadium in 1976 created great new memories with all its flaws
                        as will the new stadium with all its many flaws

Comment

• Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
                          and for me this stadium in the picture was sadly no more after 1973
                          and the new stadium in 1976 created great new memories with all its flaws
                          as will the new stadium with all its many flaws
                          Almost everything in that picture still remains.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                            whats in that picture for the most part is either gutted or buried
                            and what is gutted and buried was the charm of the stadium I loved going to

the rys eventually had a great feel to it- but it was never the old stadium

Comment

• [QUOTE=Maxlugar;1655516]If you can't see that it was something special to go back and see Reggie trot out to the very spot he played in during his glorious Yankee tenure, they you will never get it. This new stadium can not deliver this feeling. And oh sure it's just the past and we must move on...

watching Omar mirano and jerry mumphrey patrol center was not a great feeling- but yankee fans went anyway

hey the new stadium has a cold and unwelcome feel to it-
                              as rys did as well until the yankees glittzed it up and made some changes
                              changes will be made to the nys
                              can we have the grandiour of the upper deck ever again- never
                              but for me the bleachers not being behind the bullpens in left is a plus and looks much nicer

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                                My eyes are immediately drawn to the support columns in that photograph, which no longer remained after the renovation. The support columns, along with the frieze, were (are) my favorite parts of the Old Stadium.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X