Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
    Yeah?

What a incredibly ridiculous post. None of these stadiums ([email protected]) hosts 81 games per year. None of them have to worry about fan attendance all year long. Its few games/races and they are done.

Comment

I've heard throwing Christians to the lions is coming back!

Comment

• Heres a few new ones...

www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Thanks Joe, sad pic - but it's now my desktop background
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by tugger View Post
            I've heard throwing Christians to the lions is coming back!
            They still have events at the Colosseum.

But they canceled the Christian toss.
            No one can make you
            Do what they want to
            You know you're stronger
            Than the lies
            That they tell you

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
              What a incredibly ridiculous post. None of these stadiums ([email protected]) hosts 81 games per year. None of them have to worry about fan attendance all year long. Its few games/races and they are done.
              LOL at your continued display of ignorance.
              Last edited by ChineseDemocracy; 12-01-2009, 06:00 PM.
              No one can make you
              Do what they want to
              You know you're stronger
              Than the lies
              That they tell you

Comment

I cant believe I have to actually type this. These players played for the team, not the stadium. In fact these players technically played half their career (if they were career yankees) AWAY from Yankee Stadium. If you really think about it. Sure a lot of memories were made at old stadium. No one is arguing that, but saying you cant honor your team's legend here because its not the old Yankee Stadium is garbage. Its simple as that. These guys were all Yankees. We are celebrating that, not the fact that they played at the old stadium.
                Try telling that to Dodger fans when in the 1960s they'd trot out guys who never played one game in an LA uniform like Don Newcombe, or those who's best days were in Brooklyn like Pee Wee Reese and Duke Snider.

1) It'd be hard to sell LA Dodger fans that "Yes, these guys who you either never saw, or saw when they were past their primes are all part of the great Dodger legacy." No, their legacy begins with Koufax, Drysdale, Wills, Osteen, Wes Parker, Roseboro, etc. That is also why, as beloved as Willie Mays is in SF, he really ISN'T as popular as Willie McCovey, who started his career in SF.

2) You know it must be hard for a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers to keep watching the Newcombes, the Sniders, the Erskines and whomever else is still among the living to still be trotted out by the Dodger organization.

Now I know it is different going across the street than across the country, but the fact still remains, you are watching older players from your past being trotted out in a place that you never saw them play.

Alright, here is an example. Say your HS or college for some reason needs to move to a new location for whatever reason. Aren't you going to feel a sense of "This isn't where I belong" walking the new place's halls?
                NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
                  Try telling that to Dodger fans when in the 1960s they'd trot out guys who never played one game in an LA uniform like Don Newcombe, or those who's best days were in Brooklyn like Pee Wee Reese and Duke Snider.

1) It'd be hard to sell LA Dodger fans that "Yes, these guys who you either never saw, or saw when they were past their primes are all part of the great Dodger legacy." No, their legacy begins with Koufax, Drysdale, Wills, Osteen, Wes Parker, Roseboro, etc. That is also why, as beloved as Willie Mays is in SF, he really ISN'T as popular as Willie McCovey, who started his career in SF.

2) You know it must be hard for a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers to keep watching the Newcombes, the Sniders, the Erskines and whomever else is still among the living to still be trotted out by the Dodger organization.

Now I know it is different going across the street than across the country, but the fact still remains, you are watching older players from your past being trotted out in a place that you never saw them play.

Alright, here is an example. Say your HS or college for some reason needs to move to a new location for whatever reason. Aren't you going to feel a sense of "This isn't where I belong" walking the new place's halls?
                  So I shouldn't go to my Dad's for Christmas because he no longer lives in the house where I grew up?

Time moves on, we make the best of things. Life's way too short to have so many rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                    You forgot this place...

Never mind.
                    I love this place. On Tuesday, on Wednesday, Thursday . .. Friday, Sat, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, . . . beg pardon, this is the Yankee & Yankee Stadium place . . . I do beg pardon. I beg one thousand in fact. I really love this place.

I'll miss Yankee Stadium too.

Comment

• Originally posted by tugger View Post
                      So I shouldn't go to my Dad's for Christmas because he no longer lives in the house where I grew up?

Time moves on, we make the best of things. Life's way too short to have so many rules.
                      Geez, I was responding to a guy who responded flippantly to someone's comment about OTD not being the same for him because the players being trotted out never played in YSIII, and probably won't be until about 10-15 years from now when players who played predominantly at YSIII start coming regularly. I'm not suggesting they DON'T go, or fans don't go to the OTD, but I understand the sense of "This isn't right."
                      NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                      Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                      Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                        Thanks Joe, sad pic - but it's now my desktop background
                        I can still remember that late fall afternoon in 1975 when I went to that spot where the shot was taken (the loading dock) and asked the security guard if I could take a quick peek of the Stadium from that vantage point. He was kind enough to allow me in for a few minutes.

The Yankee high hat logo was getting its finishing touches in what is now the UTZ chips ad. For those who did not know the Stadium before 1978, there was originally a second Yankee logo where the out-of-town board now is.

The fascade/frieze framed a completely blank white wall where the ads would soon be. A black rectangle which was the "state-of-the-art" Telescreen by Conrac broke up the monotony along with the Yankee logos.

The outfield walls were bare concrete. The only other color in abundance was the blue seats that filled the grandstand.

I remember thinking that I couldn't wait for opening day in 1976.

Dennis
                        BrooklynDodger14

Comment

LOL at your continued display of ignorance.
                          [email protected] ignorance. Just what is your problem? You arent even a Yankee fan.

Yankee Stadium is not the same as the other venues you mentioned. Why? Because
                          1.No one feeds Christians to the Lions anymore.
                          2.I cant believe you are comparing a race track to a ballpark.
                          3.Rose Bowl is a collegiate venue. Are you serious? They dont need all the stuff that pro teams do.
                          Last edited by The Korean; 12-01-2009, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post

That is not true. Yankees still play in Bronx, they are still the New York Yankees. It doesnt matter what stadium it is as long as its in the Bronx, NY. Its the team, not the stadium.

Comment

That is not true. Yankees still play in Bronx, they are still the New York Yankees. It doesnt matter what stadium it is as long as its in the Bronx, NY. Its the team, not the stadium.
                              Stadium matters. So does size . . . in some circles.

Comment

• Stadium is only a venue. History is made by the team, not the venue. Celebrating the team is most important. Its important to remember the root, the original home, but change comes and goes, and thats just the way it is in every sports.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X