Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
    I can still remember that late fall afternoon in 1975 when I went to that spot where the shot was taken (the loading dock) and asked the security guard if I could take a quick peek of the Stadium from that vantage point. He was kind enough to allow me in for a few minutes.

The Yankee high hat logo was getting its finishing touches in what is now the UTZ chips ad. For those who did not know the Stadium before 1978, there was originally a second Yankee logo where the out-of-town board now is.

The fascade/frieze framed a completely blank white wall where the ads would soon be. A black rectangle which was the "state-of-the-art" Telescreen by Conrac broke up the monotony along with the Yankee logos.

The outfield walls were bare concrete. The only other color in abundance was the blue seats that filled the grandstand.

I remember thinking that I couldn't wait for opening day in 1976.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14
    As I look at the columns supporting the bleachers, I can't help but wonder how much longer this stadium could have stood until it was deemed unsafe. It looks so sturdy, I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted another 40 years.
    sigpic

Comment

• Must every thread about Yankee Stadium on this site eventually turn into a OYS vs NYS debate?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
        That is not true. Yankees still play in Bronx, they are still the New York Yankees. It doesnt matter what stadium it is as long as its in the Bronx, NY. Its the team, not the stadium.
        Once again I ask, why are you here? You don't care about stadiums, so why are you on a stadium forum? What use is it to you?
        http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
          They still have events at the Colosseum.

But they canceled the Christian toss.

The old Colosseum was a dump. No amenities!

They didn't even bother installing an espresso stand or sushi bar.

And I don't see anywhere that I can park my minivan or a ferris wheel that will distract my hyper-active kids with attention disorders.
          Last edited by doctor_gogol; 12-01-2009, 09:33 PM.
          Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Stadium is only a venue. History is made by the team, not the venue. Celebrating the team is most important. Its important to remember the root, the original home, but change comes and goes, and thats just the way it is in every sports.
            I wonder if Irish fans would agree with you if Notre Dame Stadium was knocked down and a semi-replica constructed across campus....for no other reason but for amenities and exploiting the fans' wallet.
            www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

Stadium is only a venue.
              There is the problem. In case you haven't noticed, this is a STADIUM thread. No talk should be made about the players or teams inside them. There are tons of boards where you can talk about the Yankees players.
              Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
              LOL at your continued display of ignorance.
              I'm LOL-ing at the stupidity. Which "Coliseum" was he LOL-ing at? The Colosseum, or Los Angeles Coliseum? Jeez.
              Last edited by mets16; 12-01-2009, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
                The old Colosseum was a dump. No amenities!

They didn't even bother installing an espresso stand or sushi bar.

And I don't see anywhere that I can park my minivan or a ferris wheel that will distract my hyper-active kids with attention disorders.
                Yeah, Julius Caesar was always threatening to move the Gladiators to the meadowlands outside the city so he could install luxury boxes and increase the take.
                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                  Yeah, Julius Caesar was always threatening to move the Gladiators to the meadowlands outside the city so he could install luxury boxes and increase the take.
                  One thing I find fascinating about the Colosseum is the fact that there were luxury boxes that separated the haves from the have-nots. Some things never change.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post

yes so he could get the best gladiators to come- hence putting on the best show- drawing big crowds and making more money on concessions

Comment

• Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
                      yes so he could get the best gladiators to come- hence putting on the best show- drawing big crowds and making more money on concessions
                      And I always thought it was the Meadowlands great reputation for bodies disposal that appealed to the Romans.....

Dennis
                      BrooklynDodger14

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                        One thing I find fascinating about the Colosseum is the fact that there were luxury boxes that separated the haves from the have-nots. Some things never change.
                        Yeah, and I hear the moat was the real thing!
                        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

X
                          What's THAT guy doing?
                          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
                            There is the problem. In case you haven't noticed, this is a STADIUM thread. No talk should be made about the players or teams inside them. There are tons of boards where you can talk about the Yankees players.

I'm LOL-ing at the stupidity. Which "Coliseum" was he LOL-ing at? The Colosseum, or Los Angeles Coliseum? Jeez.
                            Colosseum. Wow. Made a mistake big deal.

When did I ever talk about players here? I was merely making a point. Stadiums, yea, they are part of the team's history and culture, but the point, the main POINT of my post isnt about players. Its to address the complainers about how Yankees ignore tradition by building the new place. I was saying it doesnt because traditions are built by players and not the stadium. Like I said I am not talking about players but merely addressing a point about new stadium.

Sean O:What are you talking about? I am just addressing some people's post. Thats what the forum is here for. I cant even do that without being attacked by someone who has nothing to do with my post. What is wrong with you? When did I ever target you in anything? When did I ever have any animosity for anyone who appreciate Yankee Stadium? I dont. Why should I? I just have problems with folks who abandon their team because of the new stadium or just cant stop whining every time an old stadium picture appears they have to attack the new stadium. I loved old stadium. Believe me.
                            Last edited by The Korean; 12-02-2009, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Believe me I love baseball tradition- but the old yankee stadium and new yankee stadium are much nicer than that rundown dump- and as was said above- find the red sox a place for a new stadium and fenway would be blown to pieces- and after we win it all next year - the new stadium will have the same amount of world series titles as that dump has had in 92 years
                              hmm ur short by 3 but ill let it slide
                              http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?start=0

Comment

• I think this one is on topic so here goes. If you go to the Giants Construction cam on Giants. com. Interior View Cam...Cam 4. Please tell me I am not seeing columns in the back of the second level, ala Real Yankee Stadium. Also looks like obstructed views ala new Yankee Stadium.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X