Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
    Indeed. The bottom line is that OYS/RYS was living history. That's was we are losing.
    "Although things are going to change next year and we're going to move across the street, there are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium and continue to pass them on from generation to generation. We just want to take this moment to salute you, the greatest fans in the world."

From the Captains mouth. Just because you cant go to that spot where the history happened, doesnt mean its dead. Memories are what you make of them. I guess Im one of the people who have moved on from the old place. Its something that you just have to accept. Complaining about it what do anything. I have no problem saying that you miss it, but when people whine about the new stadium and the old stadium, I find it silly and childish. Appreciate the good times that you had, watch an old yankees classic from the old place and remember the memories. Just because its not there doesnt mean the memory has to die. The old place had its pro's and con's like every other thing in the world. Nothing is ever perfect and nothing ever will be.

The new place has already made some great memories and its only been 1 season. Just imagine 10 years from now. The Yankees are not just a building, they are a team, a franchise and a fan base.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
      What I meant was that it's sad that we're losing a historical articfact, like our very own Colosseum. My mistake for not being clearer. While it's true that history doesn't die with a Stadium or any building for that matter it's also true that the significance of those events somewhat die, and that's the sad part and what many are lamenting on this site. For our human minds to grasp the importance of events and even the importance of our own personal memories that happened in places sometimes we need to see the physical object or building to get a clear picture. It was easy to go to Yankee Stadium and point out where Maris' 61st homer landed, or where Reggie's 3 HRs landed, or where Jeffery Maier caught that ball on a fateful October '96 night. But soon, with the physical structure gone we could point to places and approximate where these events took place and feel proud but for future generations the site of where these great moments took place will mean little if anything to them if they don't have a physical reminder of the grandoise structure that stood there. Hopefully gate 2 is saved so that way a reminder of the Stadium is there and future generations could understand the history that took place on the site originally known as Yankee Stadium.
      every game last year I relived seeing the flight of boones game 7 hr and where it landed- the great world series victories and running down the ramps high fiving -same with many of the other great moments I witnessed thinking about where I was or the flight of the ball- ever since opening day 1976 and the other 1000 plus games I went to-
      looking at that picture of the bleachers torn apart is painful -as I sat there for many years- and Im sure there will be many painful days ahead-
      But I must admit - though the experience wasnt the same at the new place this year- in the end I was at yankees games with friends and my kids and somehow it all worked out- I think in many ways were blessed to still have Jeter, Mariano, Jorge, and Andy who somehow seemed to make the changeover easier.
      What a mistake if in the end a major remnant of the old place is not standing when its all said and done

Comment

• Originally posted by yankies4life View Post
        "Although things are going to change next year and we're going to move across the street, there are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium and continue to pass them on from generation to generation. We just want to take this moment to salute you, the greatest fans in the world."

From the Captains mouth. Just because you cant go to that spot where the history happened, doesnt mean its dead. Memories are what you make of them. I guess Im one of the people who have moved on from the old place. Its something that you just have to accept. Complaining about it what do anything. I have no problem saying that you miss it, but when people whine about the new stadium and the old stadium, I find it silly and childish. Appreciate the good times that you had, watch an old yankees classic from the old place and remember the memories. Just because its not there doesnt mean the memory has to die. The old place had its pro's and con's like every other thing in the world. Nothing is ever perfect and nothing ever will be.

The new place has already made some great memories and its only been 1 season. Just imagine 10 years from now. The Yankees are not just a building, they are a team, a franchise and a fan base.
        Oh I agree with you. All I was saying is it's a different experience when the memories "come to life." Being in a "living history" site or facility makes the memories much more vivid and much easier to pass on.

Comment

Indeed. The bottom line is that OYS/RYS was living history. That's was we are losing.
          You know what, I cant argue with that. But I think we can make new ones at the new place. Its not like we were expecting the Yankees to play at the old stadium forever, right?

Comment

Oh I agree with you. All I was saying is it's a different experience when the memories "come to life." Being in a "living history" site or facility makes the memories much more vivid and much easier to pass on.
            I understand. I guess thats why we have museums and such, it gives us something we can point to. I think its interesting that we're in a day of age where we have to show physical evidence of something. But I agree, its easier to see something and give us a visual, instead of just hearing it and making our own picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
              You know what, I cant argue with that. But I think we can make new ones at the new place. Its not like we were expecting the Yankees to play at the old stadium forever, right?
              Not so easy, as most of most of us grew up with either oys or rys...being a grown man now the new memories wont be as good as the old ones. Youre still 17...heck, i didnt get to see the yankees win a world series until i was 18 years old away at college back in '96. Being born in 1978 didnt give you much as a yankee fan as a kid.

I grew up watching guys like donne baseball, steve by bye balboni and pat kelly, not like the bought teams of the last 6 years.

Originally posted by yankies4life View Post
              I understand. I guess thats why we have museums and such, it gives us something we can point to. I think its interesting that we're in a day of age where we have to show physical evidence of something. But I agree, its easier to see something and give us a visual, instead of just hearing it and making our own picture.
              Its a matter of not being able to sit in the piece of living history to watch a game now. It was replaced by a cheap copy catering to the wealthy.
              Last edited by JoeDOYS; 12-02-2009, 07:48 PM.
              www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                Not so easy, as most of most of us grew up with either oys or rys...being a grown man now the new memories wont be as good as the old ones. Youre still 17...heck, i didnt get to see the yankees win a world series until i was 18 years old away at college back in '96. Being born in 1978 didnt give you much as a yankee fan as a kid.

I grew up watching guys like donne baseball, steve by bye balboni and pat kelly, not like the bought teams of the last 6 years.

Its a matter of not being able to sit in the piece of living history to watch a game now. It was replaced by a cheap copy catering to the wealthy.
                But its the same exact game across the street. Just because its not the same building, doesnt mean the game has changed.

Comment

But its the same exact game across the street. Just because its not the same building, doesnt mean the game has changed.
                  ...the experience has changed, not for the better.
                  www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
                    I am actually 17.
                    Ok, that explains alot. I won't go as hard on ya as I have. I'm not that much older than you but let's leave it at that.

Anyways.... Has there been a timeframe posted somewhere on the internet as to when the structure itself will completely be down? I wouldn't imagine it being around when March rolls around, because I'll tell you what, Opening Day 2010 with a half mangled Yankee Stadium will be an ugly, ugly sight.

Comment

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
                      Ok, that explains alot. I won't go as hard on ya as I have. I'm not that much older than you but let's leave it at that.

Anyways.... Has there been a timeframe posted somewhere on the internet as to when the structure itself will completely be down? I wouldn't imagine it being around when March rolls around, because I'll tell you what, Opening Day 2010 with a half mangled Yankee Stadium will be an ugly, ugly sight.
                      According to the NYC Gov Park site, it'll be completely down by mid-season 2010.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYaDiO View Post
                        According to the NYC Gov Park site, it'll be completely down by mid-season 2010.
                        Honestly I think the new stadium will be more accepted once the real one comes down. Right now it's like you were just forced to buy a Yugo and right next to it on the driveway is your old Jaguar XKE. Every day you are forced to pass the Jag by as you get into the new peice of crap you drive every morning. Once the Jag is taken to the scrap heap, the Yugo becomes your one and only.

But every day you miss that Jaguar and all it's greatness as you drive in your Yugo with it's meat market and Build-A-Bear and Jelly Bean Hut....
                        Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• I am 31...my first time to the stadium was in 1988...i went in 82, but do not remember as i was 4. i liked the history of the stadium but always thought rys looked mismatched, i never thought it was a beautiful stadium and looked nothing like the old one. but i LOVED the HISTORY...that is what i will miss. i have not been to nys so i cannot comment. i plan on going up there next season.
                          my dad, 68, was a big mickey fan....he always said that rys was nothing like the old one....he said it felt cold. i wish i could have seen the old one in person.

Comment

• Originally posted by ncyankeefan View Post
                            I am 31...my first time to the stadium was in 1988...i went in 82, but do not remember as i was 4. i liked the history of the stadium but always thought rys looked mismatched, i never thought it was a beautiful stadium and looked nothing like the old one. but i LOVED the HISTORY...that is what i will miss. i have not been to nys so i cannot comment. i plan on going up there next season.
                            my dad, 68, was a big mickey fan....he always said that rys was nothing like the old one....he said it felt cold. i wish i could have seen the old one in person.
                            If he thinks that RYS felt cold, wait till he sees NYS

Comment

• haven't been yet so, we'll see.

Comment

I don't think it's just this day and age, I think humankind as a whole, past and present always need a physical reminder of the history that takes place somewhere. Mueseums have been around for centuries. We'll always have memories but physical reminders help those memories come to life sometimes. Yankee Stadium will be missed, but now I can't wait to see new memories at the NYS.
                                The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X