Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ncyankeefan View Post
    I am 31...my first time to the stadium was in 1988...i went in 82, but do not remember as i was 4. i liked the history of the stadium but always thought rys looked mismatched, i never thought it was a beautiful stadium and looked nothing like the old one. but i LOVED the HISTORY...that is what i will miss. i have not been to nys so i cannot comment. i plan on going up there next season.
    my dad, 68, was a big mickey fan....he always said that rys was nothing like the old one....he said it felt cold. i wish i could have seen the old one in person.
    My dad also grew up in the 60's and he was a Mantle fan too. He never liked the renovated Stadium. He liked the history and all but he said it didn't feel the same as the old one. He went this year to the new Stadium and he loved it. He misses the old Stadium but really enjoyed the new one, in the end its all a matter of opinion.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

• Comment

• I'll be honest here and say that I don't miss the days of Donnie baseball, Steve Balboni or Pat Kelly... Those teams were utter failures... Even though that was the baseball I grew up with and the stadium I fell in love with, I realize that those were not the Yankees we know today. I use to buy two tickets on the field level - left field side - from the ticket window - right before the game at a cost of around $20. I also loved BARField - one of the greediest home run hitters to play for those Yankees... But nothing beats winning it all and the fact the Yankees could do that in both places is amazing.

Comment

• It's interesting how perfectly Mattingly fits into Yankee chronological history. He arrived at the exact same time that the Reggie and the 77-81 dynasty left, and he retired at the exact time that the Jeter Dynasty of 96-01 was beginning. He was a great player that really was the face of a somewhat mediocre 1980's franchise.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Perseus71 View Post
            I'll be honest here and say that I don't miss the days of Donnie baseball, Steve Balboni or Pat Kelly...
            Don Mattingly was in the hearts of many of those guys on the '96 team. The leadership and class he brought to the table rubbed off on the very young jeters, riveras, bernies and pettites....

Even though he didnt play on the championship teams he played a very indirect role in them.
            www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
              It's interesting how perfectly Mattingly fits into Yankee chronological history. He arrived at the exact same time that the Reggie and the 77-81 dynasty left, and he retired at the exact time that the Jeter Dynasty of 96-01 was beginning. He was a great player that really was the face of a somewhat mediocre 1980's franchise.
              Mattingly had bad timing. Had he arrived 7 years earlier at the advent of free agency when the Yankees were dominating the free agent market with guys like catfish hunter and reggie he would have played on a team that had great pitching. When Mattingly arrived in 1983 the other teams had temporarily caught up to the Yankees in the free agent market.

And when Mattingly left the Yankees once again were on the verge of dominating the free agent market but throughout most of Mattingly's tenure the Yankees didn't spend huge sums of money. So Mattingly unfortunately was between these two eras, and from 1989-1992 the Yankees hardly spent any money.

Comment

• don't forget about mel hall...he would always hr went i went to the stadium.

Comment

• I think that a lot of you are confusing the Yankees moving to a new venue with the demolition of the old one. The point as I see it is that an argument is being made in association with the move AND the demolition, where in fact the move can be made without the demolition.

We aren't arguing the disposition of the team, but the decision to demolish their old stadium. The Yankees are no longer an issue, Yankee Stadium is, and it reminds me of something that my Father used to say, and it fits this situation very well. "Ever wonder why there are more horses asses that there are horses?"

Comment

• If they dont demolish it people are still gonna complain why they are playing in the new stadium and how it was completely unnecessary.

Comment

• I wondered if they could have done a sectioned build. Say , over four years, After the season ended, tear down from the middle of the right field grandstand to the end of the right field grandstand. You than built that new section , and finish that in a year. Remember when the new Busch opened, the whole left field section was built in this manner. It could not be started until the old Busch was leveled and out of the way, and it was finished before mid season or there abouts. Heck it was pretty much finished by opening day, The next year, do another quarter of the stadium, and so on. Hell , they built Old Yankee Stadium in , what, eleven months with prehistoric machines, I think they could put a quarter of a stadium together in a year. Your thoughts people?:
                      Last edited by Celerino Sanchez; 12-03-2009, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ncyankeefan View Post
                        don't forget about mel hall...he would always hr went i went to the stadium.
                        Isn't Mel Hall just inside the gates on 161 St. in the new place?
                        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Ah Mel Hall! He had his moments!

Comment

• Originally posted by Celerino Sanchez View Post
                            I wondered if they could have done a sectioned build. Say , over four years, After the season ended, tear down from the middle of the right field grandstand to the end of the right field grandstand. You than built that new section , and finish that in a year. Remember when the new Busch opened, the whole left field section was built in this manner. It could not be started until the old Busch was leveled and out of the way, and it was finished before mid season or there abouts. Heck it was pretty much finished by opening day, The next year, do another quarter of the stadium, and so on. Hell , they built Old Yankee Stadium in , what, eleven months with prehistoric machines, I think they could put a quarter of a stadium together in a year. Your thoughts people?:
                            Not a chance in hell. One of the reasons for building a new stadium was to enlarge the narrow concourses and provide more luxury boxes as well as other necessary amenities in order to "keep up" with the times. The wider concourses as well as the added luxury boxes meant an overall larger stadium. Larger seat also adds to this. The area that OYS sits on provides for no additional room for expansion. It already sits on the edges of its boundaries.

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                              Not a chance in hell. One of the reasons for building a new stadium was to enlarge the narrow concourses and provide more luxury boxes as well as other necessary amenities in order to "keep up" with the times. The wider concourses as well as the added luxury boxes meant an overall larger stadium. Larger seat also adds to this. The area that OYS sits on provides for no additional room for expansion. It already sits on the edges of its boundaries.
                              I disagree, On one side you have a parking garage, and the other side was all torn up to build a parking garage, behind home plate was plenty of room. You could have expanded as much as you wanted, and put in wide concourses and luxury boxes and whatever. The footprint of the Stadium could have been expanded by 100 ft easy. In fact, I'd say there is more room on the old yankee stadium site than the new one.
                              Last edited by Celerino Sanchez; 12-03-2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• The stadium is bordered by E 161st St. on one side, E 157th St. on another side, Doughty on another and River Ave. along with the train is just behind the wall. The property that the parking structure sits on I believe is city property. In either case, they cannot expand into the streets. The stadium is sitting on it's boundaries. The thick black lines are the property lines that I went over. This is a copy of a blueprint.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X