No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the blueprint, two of those streets no longer exist. Doughty and 157th. As already stated the Doughty street side has been turned into a parking lot/soccer field for NYS so theoretically the Yankees could have use all that area up to the Deegan. Again, no 157th st , just the parking garage that could be altered . As for the 161st street side , it was 457 ft to left center in OYS, plus huge bleachers, NYS is 399 plus bleachers. Could you get the same scale blueprint of NYS and paste it over your blueprint of OYS and so we could get a better idea. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
      The stadium is bordered by E 161st St. on one side, E 157th St. on another side, Doughty on another and River Ave. along with the train is just behind the wall. The property that the parking structure sits on I believe is city property. In either case, they cannot expand into the streets. The stadium is sitting on it's boundaries. The thick black lines are the property lines that I went over. This is a copy of a blueprint.
      This looks like a survey made prior to when the concrete bleachers replaced the original wooden ones. Look how narrow the bleachers in right center are in the drawing. I don't think they were actually that narrow. Did the top of the original bleachers overhang the property line, and cantilever over River Ave?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by CHiller; 12-04-2009, 05:37 AM.
      First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• Has Jack McDowell or Hideki Irabu been found yet?

Comment

• Doughty St is Ruppert Pl and 157 St exists for map purposes. Both streets were basically pedestrian malls during game days. They still exist on maps and are necessary for emergency vehicles to access. They will still need to maintain emergency access after the demolition is completed.

Comment

• Originally posted by TJH1923 View Post
            Doughty St is Ruppert Pl and 157 St exists for map purposes. Both streets were basically pedestrian malls during game days. They still exist on maps and are necessary for emergency vehicles to access. They will still need to maintain emergency access after the demolition is completed.
            I was under the impression 157th Street was a "real" street until the renovation, when it was transformed into a pedestrian plaza. In fact, if you check out this 1955 image...

...you'll see that another street, whose name I surprisingly don't know, bisects the property between River Avenue and 153rd Street that is the present site of the parking garage.

And I believe Ruppert Place was also a "real" street for most of Renovated Yankee Stadium's existance - it wasn't until sometime in the 1990s or 2000s that it became a restricted access roadway.
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• New pics up from WCBS.

http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/5819825...=1554517#imgXR

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                ...you'll see that another street, whose name I surprisingly don't know, bisects the property between River Avenue and 153rd Street that is the present site of the parking garage.
                Cromwell Ave. I believe.

Comment

• Last edited by GordonGecko; 12-04-2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Why did it take Shea so little time compared to Yankee Stadium to be torn down? It didnt even take them 6 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
                      Why did it take Shea so little time compared to Yankee Stadium to be torn down? It didnt even take them 6 months.
                      Shea was in a parking lot...Yankee Stadium is right right by residential neighborhoods and the 4 is literally right on top of the stadium. I think we'll see it start coming down faster very soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
                        Why did it take Shea so little time compared to Yankee Stadium to be torn down? It didnt even take them 6 months.
                        its close proximity to the aforementioned residential infrastructure, and the fact that they are dealing with a very aggressively-cantilevered and precariously balanced upper edifice. It's a much more delicate dismantling

Comment

• Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post

Of everything down at Field Level those DUGOUTS refuse to die!
                          RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by soup View Post
                            its close proximity to the aforementioned residential infrastructure, and the fact that they are dealing with a very aggressively-cantilevered and precariously balanced upper edifice. It's a much more delicate dismantling
                            It's actually a very strong renovation. What *would* weaken it quite rapidly is the wrong sequence in dismantling it.

Think: "Return of the Columns".
                            RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by yankies4life View Post
                              Shea was in a parking lot...Yankee Stadium is right right by residential neighborhoods and the 4 is literally right on top of the stadium. I think we'll see it start coming down faster very soon.
                              Originally posted by soup View Post
                              That's an urban myth. The pace has nothing to do with any proximity to anything. Everything done to Yankee Stadium so far has had zero risk of effect on surrounding property, no cantilever structure has been touched. If you want to claim that there is a risk, then it would be in the later stages when the upper deck and outer walls start coming down.

The demolition of Yankee Stadium has been far slower mainly because they:
                              - started planning later
                              - gave more time for Steiner to strip & sell anything of value
                              - need to dispose of a lot of asbestos
                              - are dragging their feet

Comment

• I know this has been answered in the past, I just can't remember - how come there is a section of seats behind home plate that has different colored concrete?
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X