Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JCCC View Post
    Good picture comparison, the overall stadium has really remained unchanged.

This makes the stadium demise so much more painful!
    however sitting in both you would never know they were the same

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
      I know this has been answered in the past, I just can't remember - how come there is a section of seats behind home plate that has different colored concrete?
      The different colored concrete is likely because of weather-profing to prevent water damage to the Press and Suite Level Boxes directly below . This was the case at Shea Stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
        however sitting in both you would never know they were the same
        Baloney!

That steep insane pitch of the upper deck, those remaining bleachers, that close-in middle deck, the general field outlines (gradually moved in for greed) - well, they sang this song in your ear:

Ruth-Gehrig-DiMaggio-Berra-Mantle-Ford-Munson-Jackson-Rivera-Jeter...

And that song will never, ever whistle across the wind on the south side of 161st Street in the Bronx.

It's quite simply a death in the baseball family, and a crime against NY.
        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Anyone think the old place could have been renovated again to make Steinbrenners more money, as in, many more luxury boxes, and all that?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
            Anyone think the old place could have been renovated again to make Steinbrenners more money, as in, many more luxury boxes, and all that?
            Looking at those pictures, and to nearly get half the space that they have for the concourses and luxury boxes at NYS, they would have had to tear down the whole outer wall of the park and build out to the street.

I'm not so sure there would have been room for that. Maybe if it was done in the 70s (especially after seeing how deteriorated the original Gates were before the renovations) people would have been more accepting of this if it was replaced by a similar to the NYS exterior.

Would that have been acceptable to some if it was done back then? Especially if they had to play in Shea for longer?
            ------------
            I have been to:

Citi Field, Shea, NYS, RYS, PNC, Fenway, AT&T, CBP, Rangers Ballpark, Minute Maid Park, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, PETCO Park, Coors, Chase Field, Turner, Miami, [email protected], U.S.F., Comerica, Nationals Park, GABP, Progressive, Trop, Miller, Oakland-A C., Dolphin, RFK, Olympic Stadium, Metrodome

Comment

• I'm sure it could have been, but the end-product wouldn't have been as efficiently renovated and profitable as the new house is.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by cringey View Post
                Looking at those pictures, and to nearly get half the space that they have for the concourses and luxury boxes at NYS, they would have had to tear down the whole outer wall of the park and build out to the street.

I'm not so sure there would have been room for that. Maybe if it was done in the 70s (especially after seeing how deteriorated the original Gates were before the renovations) people would have been more accepting of this if it was replaced by a similar to the NYS exterior.

Would that have been acceptable to some if it was done back then? Especially if they had to play in Shea for longer?
                My friend, I've had you beat with that exact concept by a YEAR(Pls excuse the crudity - it attempts a facsimile of the 1922 facade extended 30-40' toward the sidewalks of 161st St, Ruppert Pl., and 157th St):
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 12-05-2009, 12:21 PM. Reason: Of course, everyone here ballyhooed the concept when I posted this originally! >: [
                RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by orioles667083 View Post
                  Man, face lifts gone wrong.
                  Please, let's not get started on comparing Yankee Stadium to that cat woman again!

I have a feeling that sentence just opened Pandora's Box.

Please, whomever remembers what I'm talking about and decides to post it...be gentle.

Richard

Comment

• Also, this properly sized version of the comparison was posted a while back, I forget who did it though (but thank you!).

I'm honestly surprised that through all of this, Steiner has not pulled the original tera cotta pieces off the balconies. Not to mention the small square decorations that went around the entire ballpark. These were all covered by a thin layer of concrete during the renovation, but are still parts of the original structure and personally something I would love to have.

Or at least see it go to a better home than ground up as landfill.

Richard
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeDean View Post
                      On the old/new stadium discussion, I think some perspective is needed.

Dodger and Angel stadiums are now among the oldest because of the early (but deserved) demise of the cookie cutters. In fact, Dodger stadium is the original model for the new generation of stadiums: open concourses, amenities,etc. Im sure the old embittered Brooklyn fans HATED it.

It was a radically new kind of baseball stadium in 1962, so well designed that it did not need much updating in the recent renovation. BTW it was designed by Perry Green, who also did Shea Stadium (he was in a slump) and RYS. Dont blame him for the renovation: steinbrenner and the city dictated what they wanted and he did the best he could do, and though I miss original YS, I came to love the renovated version.

As for Fenway and Wrigley, when they were built, they too were state-of-the-art, and Tom Yawkey's renovation in the 30's greatly altered its character. in fact, the fenway park I visited and loved in 1985 NO LONGER EXISTS. It was turned from a single deck to a triple deck stadium (a mini old Yankee stadium) so the Red Sox fans ARE being prepared for a new stadium. As you all know, there was a plan that fell through for a new one only a few years ago.

As for Wrigley, lets see what the new owners and the state of illinois do. I hope they can modernize it and preserve it long-term. Maybe some extra rows can be grafted onto the upper deck as with renovated Yankee Stadium.
                      The Red Sox will be playing baseball at Fenway Park for the next 10-20 years. You can take it to the bank!

That tidbit of information is courtesy of the tour guides who told me that on a Fenway tour I took last month. They are sprucing the joint up over the next few years for her 100th birthday in 2012. John Henry & Co. unveiled a major Fenway overhaul plan when they took over that will continuing sink major money into the ballpark to upgrade the facility, as well create other avenues of revenue. This plan to date has replaced/upgraded many of the field level boxes, as well as most of the bleacher seats as well. The Green Moster seats, the Budweiser porch thing in LF, gutting the 600 level & putting in new seats, more luxury boxes, more signs/advertising, were/are all the result of this plan. While no one knows for sure what Fenway's future will hold after that .... but she'll be an active ballpark for the next decade or so for sure.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                      www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                      www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
                        It most certainly was the same place, the site of the building known as Yankee Stadium had not changed from 1923 to 2008, and while the renovations destroyed alot of the charm and beauty of the old Stadium, most of what you see is in fact original.
                        Same physical address, but the players from the 70's to 2008 did not play on the same field as Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, et al. In relation to where those legends played, the more "modern" players played in what would be considered Old Yankee Stadium's basement. Also, the field dimensions where nowhere near the original.

As a matter of fact, when Yogi first stepped into RYS, a reporter asked him how it felt to be back home. Yogi replied, "This isn't home. I never played in this ballpark."

And to the so-called "purists":

This...

...is not this, no matter how you try to spin it:
                        Last edited by Rob R; 12-06-2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                          Also, this properly sized version of the comparison was posted a while back, I forget who did it though (but thank you!).

I'm honestly surprised that through all of this, Steiner has not pulled the original tera cotta pieces off the balconies. Not to mention the small square decorations that went around the entire ballpark. These were all covered by a thin layer of concrete during the renovation, but are still parts of the original structure and personally something I would love to have.

Or at least see it go to a better home than ground up as landfill.

Richard
                          I've been told that Turner is done there. Since it is an active demo site, nobody is allowed in. Turner was supposed to take more items but didn't get done in time. Don't forget, Auction II ends tonight. Only $50,000 for a full section of the frieze {delivery not included}. I noticed that they're also selling "pieces" of the foul poles. Since the poles have been sold, what is it that they're selling. From the photos it appears to be yellow paint chips enclosed in glass.
                          Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                            I left out one more thing.

Old Timers Day

This day which meant so much to so many fans now means very little. None of the current old timers ever played in the new stadium...they are now just visitors from yesteryear for the fans to clap at. There was a certain nostalgia seeing guys like Bobby Murcer, Reggie Jackson or Donnie Baseball playing in their old positions.

The first real old timers day will be 10-15 years from now when Nick Swisher comes back out to right field. I am not excited for it.
                            Let's be frank here. Ever wonder why Old Timers Day hasn't been what it once was? How many legends are still alive and remain? Whitey? Yogi? As I said in another post, Yogi said RYS was not home to him; it wasn't where he played. So let's count him out as far as sentimentality goes.

So we are left with Whitey. Reggie? Was he a true Yankee legend or did he just have a legendary world series? I don't really consider him a Yankee legend, nor do I care for his character, but I'll give you Reggie.

So we have Reggie and Whitey. Of course we'll add Mattingly (even if he never won anything) and Ron Guidry as Yankee legends that are still alive. Then there are the Willie Randolphs, Moose Skowrons, Tinos and Paul O'Neills who are loved but hardly legends.

My point is, that in the scheme of things Old Timers Day hardly matters with regards to the New Yankee Stadium. I hear what you're saying, but based on what I'm saying it will have less of a negative impact than one would think.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
                              [B]The Red Sox will be playing baseball at Fenway Park for the next 10-20 years. You can take it to the bank!
                              I'll take that bet. Fenway will be collectables and scrap metal by 2015-2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
                                Same physical address, but the players from the 70's to 2008 did not play on the same field as Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, et al. In relation to where those legends played, the more "modern" players played in what would be considered Old Yankee Stadium's basement. Also, the field dimensions where nowhere near the original.

As a matter of fact, when Yogi first stepped into RYS, a reporter asked him how it felt to be back home. Yogi replied, "This isn't home. I never played in this ballpark."

And to the so-called "purists":

This...

...is not this, no matter how you try to spin it:
                                As someone who had the good fortune to see games pre and post renovation, I can say that as much as the stadium changed, it largely remained the same. Sure, there were major visual differences, structural modifications to remove the columns and accommodate the extended upper deck. But much of the original charm and shape remained. My uncle had a similar reaction (as a fan) as Yogi Berra did when the stadium reopened for business in 1976. But after the first season that largely evaporated.

As for the actual field being different; well, that's kinda silly to make that point. The actual field probably changed a dozen times over the years for drainage upgrades, new sod, etc. In fact, the entire field was renovated around 2000 or so with drainage upgrades. before that renovation, you couldn't barely see the opposite dugout from the other side at field level due to the crown pitch of the playing field (for drainage). After that renovation and drainage upgrades the playing field flattened out significantly. So one could argue that this isn't the same field Don Mattingly played on.

The point is, Yankee stadium wasn't the same building that opened in 1923 as the one that opened for the 1928 season (when the left field grandstand wing was added). The same is said for the right field extension in 1937. And at the same time the entire bleacher section was replaced. So, the ballpark in 1937 wasn't the same field Babe Ruth opened in 1923. I'd argue that the changes in this time frame are equally significant to the renovations in 1974-75. The important thing here is that the actual confines are the same, and grandstand as it stands today is still the same. A fan in 2008 could sit in the grandstand and imagine that Babe Ruth played within these confines. As did Gehrig, Dimaggio, Berra, Rizzuto, Mantle, Ford, Munson, Pinella, Guidry, Gossage, Jackson, Mattingly, O'Neill, Jeter, Rivera. That can't be done anymore.

More to the point, these confines once called Yankee Stadium saw more baseball history than any other sports venue ever have or ever will.

Just my two cents on the topic.

By the way, does anyone have access to a high quality overhead photo of the renovated stadium. I have plenty of pre-renovated overhead shots. I'd like to have one of the stadium in its final configuration. I rotate various photos of aerial shots for my wallpaper.

Thanks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X