Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Yankee1965 View Post
    The important thing here is that the actual confines are the same, and grandstand as it stands today is still the same. A fan in 2008 could sit in the grandstand and imagine that Babe Ruth played within these confines. As did Gehrig, Dimaggio, Berra, Rizzuto, Mantle, Ford, Munson, Pinella, Guidry, Gossage, Jackson, Mattingly, O'Neill, Jeter, Rivera. That can't be done anymore.
    I'll take it one further: a fan sitting in the upper deck of the renovated stadium could look beyond the outfield wall and see the same apartment buildings that most of the players cited by Yankee1965 saw.


    (Photo taken July 19, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

    People could look out the windows of 825 Gerard Avenue (the building behind the "Bud Light" sign) and see Babe Ruth playing right field. In the famous photo of Lou Gehrig's "Luckiest Man" speech, 845 Gerard Avenue (behind the "Verizon" sign) is clearly visible to the right of the Iron Horse. How many times, especially in the post-renovation era, have we seen the reflections of the stadium lights on the windows of 831 Gerard Avenue (behind the Met Life Countdown Clock and the "Hess" sign) on the television? And who could miss the Bronx County Courthouse?

    Normally, yes, a team is a team no matter where they play. But the Yankees aren't just a team. They're also a tradition. They sell that tradition, they market it, they want people to be aware of it and buy into it. And yes, the stadium is a part of it.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
      I'll take it one further: a fan sitting in the upper deck of the renovated stadium could look beyond the outfield wall and see the same apartment buildings that most of the players cited by Yankee1965 saw.


      (Photo taken July 19, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

      People could look out the windows of 825 Gerard Avenue (the building behind the "Bud Light" sign) and see Babe Ruth playing right field. In the famous photo of Lou Gehrig's "Luckiest Man" speech, 845 Gerard Avenue (behind the "Verizon" sign) is clearly visible to the right of the Iron Horse. How many times, especially in the post-renovation era, have we seen the reflections of the stadium lights on the windows of 831 Gerard Avenue (behind the Met Life Countdown Clock and the "Hess" sign) on the television? And who could miss the Bronx County Courthouse?

      Normally, yes, a team is a team no matter where they play. But the Yankees aren't just a team. They're also a tradition. They sell that tradition, they market it, they want people to be aware of it and buy into it. And yes, the stadium is a part of it.
      Nicely put Gary, you both have very good points. Now here comes the question of the day haha, When was the other courthouse the one across the street from the Concourse Plaza Food Court constructed? It always bothered me that it was so close to our beloved Yankee Stadium.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
        Please, let's not get started on comparing Yankee Stadium to that cat woman again!

        I have a feeling that sentence just opened Pandora's Box.

        Please, whomever remembers what I'm talking about and decides to post it...be gentle.


        Richard
        LOL! Since I'm the owner of both the Jocelyn Wildenstein and Statue of Liberty comparisons, I'm going to amend my most recent comparison to the 70's renovation to: "The 70's renovation could be likened to replacing the Statue of Liberty's face with a sculpture of Jocelyn Wildenstein and the torch with a humongous, oversized basketball or disco ball."

        Yes, the Statue of Liberty will be the same "building" the same footprint and 3/5 of it will be the same as the original. And if you stand in Lady Liberty (or Jocelyn's) crown, you can see the same harbor and many of the same buildings that Babe Ruth and his daughter saw when they visited it in 1926.

        Comment


        • .............................
          Last edited by Rob R; 12-07-2009, 11:17 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
            The Yankees arent most professional sports franchises....as arent the Red Sox who dont have much complaints about the cramped piece of history they play in. The Yankees could have renovated RYS piecemeal over the next 3-5 years.

            The seats could have been ripped out and replaced with those comfy ones, they could have constructed a 'moat' if they wanted, the loge level could have been converted into those coveted luxury suites. They could have ripped out everything behind the outfield ie. bleachers, bullpens, that entire back wall section. Replaced with a new structure composed of 2 or 3 levels of seating...with a spot for a 140' HDTV.

            The possibilities were endless but they screwed it all up.
            The Red Sox have in the past explored options for a new venue. The Boston politics that they must wade through has been the biggest stumbling block. In the meantime they have made improvements to what they have. If the right opportunity presents itself to the Red Sox ownership, I believe they would jump at the chance for a new venue.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
              . . .

              Normally, yes, a team is a team no matter where they play. But the Yankees aren't just a team. They're also a tradition. They sell that tradition, they market it, they want people to be aware of it and buy into it. And yes, the stadium is a part of it.
              The Stadium was part of it - the living history part. Of course the history itself remains (of both the team and the Stadium) and it will always be "in the books." It's just a bit harder to experience all that history "first hand" now.

              There was a monetary value to that "first hand" experience (people would indeed go to a Yankees game to see "Historic" Yankee Stadium) that has been replaced with the monetary value of NYS. Time will tell if that was a good trade.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Rob R View Post
                LOL! Since I'm the owner of both the Jocelyn Wildenstein and Statue of Liberty comparisons, I'm going to amend my most recent comparison to the 70's renovation to: "The 70's renovation could be likened to replacing the Statue of Liberty's face with a sculpture of Jocelyn Wildenstein and the torch with a humongous, oversized basketball or disco ball."

                Yes, the Statue of Liberty will be the same "building" the same footprint and 3/5 of it will be the same as the original. And if you stand in Lady Liberty (or Jocelyn's) crown, you can see the same harbor and many of the same buildings that Babe Ruth and his daughter saw when they visited it in 1926.
                You make a very good analogy.

                I will take it a bit further.


                What if after they "upgrade" to Lady Liberty, they later decide that it is still way to crowded inside the statue and that the concessions within the base are inadequate? Plus, everyone pays the same entrance fee and has the same experience.

                So they build a new Statue on Ellis Island that "invokes" the old one, complete with a shopping mall in the much-larger base and a restaurant where the book used to be. Private glass elevators up to the torch, which is only available to the wealthy . . .

                And is that better than if they went back to the original, and did their best to put back the face and the torch - even though new codes would not allow for a 100% restoration? And you wouldn't get the mall,the resturaunt or the glass elevator.
                Last edited by SparkyL; 12-07-2009, 06:40 AM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                  There was a monetary value to that "first hand" experience (people would indeed go to a Yankees game to see "Historic" Yankee Stadium) that has been replaced with the monetary value of NYS. Time will tell if that was a good trade.
                  That's why the Yankees needed to field a competitive team this year. I truly believe anything short of this World Series win would have been a failure for them. The papers would have been screaming about the $201 million payroll, the $1.5 billion price tag of the new Stadium, the empty expenisve seats and the average fan being priced out of many games. Now that the Yanks are the defending champs (sounds great, doesn't it?) with the possibility to continue competing they can easily sell with the line: see the yanks continue to grow their legend and write new history at yankee stadium.
                  The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
                    That's why the Yankees needed to field a competitive team this year. I truly believe anything short of this World Series win would have been a failure for them. The papers would have been screaming about the $201 million payroll, the $1.5 billion price tag of the new Stadium, the empty expenisve seats and the average fan being priced out of many games. Now that the Yanks are the defending champs (sounds great, doesn't it?) with the possibility to continue competing they can easily sell with the line: see the yanks continue to grow their legend and write new history at yankee stadium.
                    Without question the Yankees winning the World Series this year will go a long way to helping sell new season subscriptions and giving a boost in ticket sales for 2010, but there is still an economy thats in a recession and prices that are ridiculous that its remain gosomewhat tricky for them to say they're are excactly where they want to be in ticket sales on those high end seats. If there were some scattered empty seats in the World Series you can bet you're still going to see empty seats in the moat area come this spring.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
                      Without question the Yankees winning the World Series this year will go a long way to helping sell new season subscriptions and giving a boost in ticket sales for 2010, but there is still an economy thats in a recession and prices that are ridiculous that its remain gosomewhat tricky for them to say they're are excactly where they want to be in ticket sales on those high end seats. If there were some scattered empty seats in the World Series you can bet you're still going to see empty seats in the moat area come this spring.
                      I believe that's why they split the Legends seats and made Legends suites and Champion suites. The Champion suites i believe do not have access to the bar so the Yankees are well aware of what is wrong. I don't believe the moat area is going to be as empty as last year. The legends suites is also less money.
                      The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

                      Comment


                      • Gary, if I ever hit the lottery, I would offer to buy you one of those apartments!

                        However, I have a feeling it wouldn't be the same as it was over the baseball seasons from '23 to '08.

                        Maybe one at that high rise on Grand concourse, to overlook everything...

                        In all seriousness though, Gary, I love your photos. It's not just the pictures you take, it's the information that comes along with them.

                        Great stuff.


                        Richard

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                          The Yankees arent most professional sports franchises....as arent the Red Sox who dont have much complaints about the cramped piece of history they play in. The Yankees could have renovated RYS piecemeal over the next 3-5 years.

                          The seats could have been ripped out and replaced with those comfy ones, they could have constructed a 'moat' if they wanted, the loge level could have been converted into those coveted luxury suites. They could have ripped out everything behind the outfield ie. bleachers, bullpens, that entire back wall section. Replaced with a new structure composed of 2 or 3 levels of seating...with a spot for a 140' HDTV.

                          The possibilities were endless but they screwed it all up.
                          I wouldn't say they "screwed it all up". Yes, they could've done all of those things that you mention in this post, they could've sunken hundreds of millions of dollars on renovations. However, at that point, the stadium would be 2 renovations from the original, in essence, an entirely different stadium, especially considering to get the concourses they have at the current place, which was, by far, the biggest problem in that stadium, they'd have to tear out much of the 1923 concrete and completely rebuild the outside of the stadium. Not to mention you'd be displacing the team for at least 1 season, possibly 2, because there's no way that this type of renovation can be done in 1 off season. For what? To maintain an address?

                          Building across the street allowed them to build a world class baseball stadium from the ground up and get everything they wanted without all the snags and headaches that come with renovating a 85 year old building.

                          Nobody is saying that we all have to be happy that the old ballpark that we grew up with is is coming down before our eyes, but it's nice that the Yankees ownership went above and beyond to make the new stadium feel like home. And it does. I went to over 1000 games at RYS and about 65 games at NYS and when sitting in my seat, it feels like the same park, minus the massive screen in CF. It feels like home.

                          Comment


                          • http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/


                            I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee - Joe Dimaggio

                            Comment


                            • The MLB channel has been showing a Yankee/Tiger game from 1976 at Tiger Stadium and Phil Rizzuto Day/Tom Seaver's 300th win game at Yankee Stadium in 1985. These stadiums looked so great packed, unlike today's stadiums that are so swollen and recessed back. Yankee stadium looked so great and so clean in 1985 without all those hideous ads plastering the facade of the second and third decks.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
                                The MLB channel has been showing a Yankee/Tiger game from 1976 at Tiger Stadium and Phil Rizzuto Day/Tom Seaver's 300th win game at Yankee Stadium in 1985. These stadiums looked so great packed, unlike today's stadiums that are so swollen and recessed back. Yankee stadium looked so great and so clean in 1985 without all those hideous ads plastering the facade of the second and third decks.
                                The YES Network was showing the George Steinbrenner Yankeeography the other day, and they had a clip from the last game at the real Yankee Stadium in 2008. The Stadium was at full capacity, and looked absolutely MAGNIFICENT. Even the camera bulbs going off looked so much better at RYS. At NYS, the camera bulbs are completely washed out by the obnoxious ribbon board, and uneven lighting from the wrap-around lights. I get pains in my stomach when watching any clips of the RYS now, the same way I did when watching clips of the OYS.
                                Last edited by locke40; 12-08-2009, 11:28 AM. Reason: RYS > NYS (and it's not even close)
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X