Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• progress

What does everyone think OYS will look like come opening day?

Comment

• Originally posted by DHYF162 View Post
      Probably no where near as good as it did on opening day 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by DHYF162 View Post
        If i had it my way a gigantic sinkhole would form under NYS and it would be totally consumed.
        www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
          The YES Network was showing the George Steinbrenner Yankeeography the other day, and they had a clip from the last game at the real Yankee Stadium in 2008. The Stadium was at full capacity, and looked absolutely MAGNIFICENT. Even the camera bulbs going off looked so much better at RYS. At NYS, the camera bulbs are completely washed out by the obnoxious ribbon board, and uneven lighting from the wrap-around lights. I get pains in my stomach when watching any clips of the RYS now, the same way I did when watching clips of the OYS.
          Of course it looked great even in 2008 but it looked so much better without all the ads from 1976-1989. And the concrete along the foul lines that was there up until the mid 80s looked better than the blue padding.

Comment

• I've recently discovered how much fun it is to watch regular season games from 2008 - it's really cool to see the stadium with modern cameras. I know it sounds stupid, but it seems like when I think of RYS, I think of something that's been long-gone. Watching games that are just about as recent as can be is really great - I miss that place a lot.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
              I've recently discovered how much fun it is to watch regular season games from 2008 - it's really cool to see the stadium with modern cameras. I know it sounds stupid, but it seems like when I think of RYS, I think of something that's been long-gone. Watching games that are just about as recent as can be is really great - I miss that place a lot.
              That's true. I'm so happy that RYS made it into the HD world, so people in the future can see all the details and true colors. Then again, who knows what the next great technological fade might be (holographics, 3D virtual picture, etc), so in 20 years, HD might look very outdated. Regardless, awesome parks like Old Comiskey Park and Tiger Stadium were out of commission before HD got going.

I wonder how clips from the 2009 World Series are going to look in 2019, after some renovations (hey, ALL stadiums go through renovations during their lifetime) take place, and newer technologies and TV's are available. I'm actually looking forward to it.
              sigpic

Comment

• The difference between video from 60-69 is pretty substantial, same with 70-99, 80-89, and 90-99, but 00-09 has been especially better with the addition of HD
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                  That's true. I'm so happy that RYS made it into the HD world, so people in the future can see all the details and true colors. Then again, who knows what the next great technological fade might be (holographics, 3D virtual picture, etc), so in 20 years, HD might look very outdated. Regardless, awesome parks like Old Comiskey Park and Tiger Stadium were out of commission before HD got going.

I wonder how clips from the 2009 World Series are going to look in 2019, after some renovations (hey, ALL stadiums go through renovations during their lifetime) take place, and newer technologies and TV's are available. I'm actually looking forward to it.
                  What I wouldn't mind seeing is color photos of RYS - interior and exterior - from when the paint was still drying and the concrete still curing, between Fall 1975 til about halfway through the 76 season when she started accommodating the Yankees again. Pretty much: immediately post-renovations. Anybody ready to start flipping thru old albums?
                  RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Nice shot,and some very good pix of various NYC locations on flickr, but Yankee Stadium is NOT also known as CitiField.
                    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                      You make a very good analogy.

I will take it a bit further.

What if after they "upgrade" to Lady Liberty, they later decide that it is still way to crowded inside the statue and that the concessions within the base are inadequate? Plus, everyone pays the same entrance fee and has the same experience.

So they build a new Statue on Ellis Island that "invokes" the old one, complete with a shopping mall in the much-larger base and a restaurant where the book used to be. Private glass elevators up to the torch, which is only available to the wealthy . . .

And is that better than if they went back to the original, and did their best to put back the face and the torch - even though new codes would not allow for a 100% restoration? And you wouldn't get the mall,the resturaunt or the glass elevator.
                      In a perfect world, Yankee Stadium would have remained at the same location and its original beauty would have been restored through a new renovation, at least a modern interpretation of it. That would have been my first choice as well. But that wasn't happening for a variety of reasons, including political and monetary reasons.

I feel no better than the next guy over RYS being demolished; it breaks my heart as it should every Yankee fan. So many memories, good times, and most importantly a "landmark"-- the most famous stadium in the world will no longer stand in that spot. Sure it hurts and I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it.

But that doesn't mean that the original wasn't disgraced by the hideous revovations in the 70's. Although I never attended a game at OYS, I feel like I've been there 1,000 times, through stories and pictures from my dad and others.

It's funny, but long before there was talk of a new stadium, in my heart of hearts I always thought that one day RYS would be restored to its original awe-inspiring beauty, including returning the frieze to its rightful place, and making Gate 4 the grand entrance that it once was.

There truly wasn't anything beautiful about the design of RYS other than the recognizable features of the original, like the lower part of the edifice, the upper deck, etc. Otherwise, RYS either built tacky, unsightly structures covering the original beauty, or totally destroyed them. There was NOTHING that you can say about the renovated stadium that was an enhancement over the original. Nothing.

But, on the day that Yankee Stadium goes down, I'll be numb.

Comment

• Anybody have anything to say about what is printed at the bottom of this photo? I have a notion that the name "Edison" may have something to do with his concrete additive that was used in the construction, but "Historical Site" has me baffled.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Additional question. Is there a difference between Yankee Stadium Historical Site and Edison Historical Site? Either way, it's still the same building on the same site.
                          Last edited by voodoochile; 12-09-2009, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly85MVP View Post
                            agreed...I must have taken 15-20 pieces of concrete- every time I passed the stadium earlier this season before the blue fence was put up, I would grab what was loose. Also during the final season, I made sure to take a piece here and there when there was an opportunity...going to miss that place
                            I'm one of those guys who was always afraid to ask for what I want, then later kicked myself in the ass after I found out that all I needed to do was just that, ask.
                            Does one of those pieces of concrete have a price tag attached to it?

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                              Anybody have anything to say about what is printed at the bottom of this photo? I have a notion that the name "Edison" may have something to do with his concrete additive that was used in the construction, but "Historical Site" has me baffled.
                              All that means is that photo is from the Edison National Historical Site archives. It's citing the source of the photo not describing Yankee Stadium as a Historical site.

The Edison National Historical Site has a large collection of Edison media; this photo is one of the pieces.

Comment

• Originally posted by applenut View Post
                                All that means is that photo is from the Edison National Historical Site archives. It's citing the source of the photo not describing Yankee Stadium as a Historical site.

The Edison National Historical Site has a large collection of Edison media; this photo is one of the pieces.
                                Also...

http://usparks.about.com/library/min...ledisonnhs.htm

Looks like an interesting place, maybe ill go visit it one day when im old and have nothing else better to do. Yankee Stadium should be donating some momentos there, as it is Edisons special concrete mixture that is being ripped apart right now.
                                www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X