Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• I guess there gonna tear it down like Shea.

Comment

• It looks like the mezzanine section has started coming down, things are really moving along now.

Comment

• That's right where I was sitting for the Chambliss HR to win the 76 pennant. Really sad day.

Comment

• This is just wrong on so many levels.......oh well........

Comment

• Originally posted by Celerino Sanchez View Post
              That's right where I was sitting for the Chambliss HR to win the 76 pennant. Really sad day.
              I was sitting in U18 Row S Seat 20 for that game. Still the best game I've ever been to.

Comment

• Thanks, Joe.

Heartbreaking, but intriguing at the same time. Is there a hi-res of this so I could get a better look at the Loge framing?

We're probably going to see a lot that we haven't seen in a long time in the next several months. A lot of secrets will probably also be unearthed and explained.

It's too bad it had to come to this for those puzzles to be solved.

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                  Oh dear God. That's 1920's iron starting to show. You can almost hear her crying in that photo. Heartbreaking....
                  Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                    Oh dear God. That's 1920's iron starting to show. You can almost hear her crying in that photo. Heartbreaking....

Yeah, you can see the steel stringers in this 1922 photo - creating the very level they're uncovering now.

A preservation crime continues....
                    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post

Yeah, you can see the steel stringers in this 1922 photo - creating the very level they're uncovering now.

Can't see that pic. Would love to. Maybe at home.

Comment

• Actually, that steel is later than '20's as it's the right field extension done in '38(?) My bad. But still...

Comment

• Originally posted by CHiller View Post
                          I'd agree that the bleachers will have to be the first to go before demo on the grandstand starts in order to get truck and crane access to the inside. After that, I'd bet that the field level and loge sections will be torn back to the vertical column/wall that was added during the renovation to act as a fulcrum for the upper deck. Then I'd bet that the roof will be removed. After that, you're guess is as good as mine. They could start tearing back the front rows of the upper deck until the balance begins to make it top heavy, then remove some of the back rows added during the renovation to restore the balance. After that, they can just pick away until they get the the vertical column/wall.
                          So far it looks like they are following the plan I predicted back in post 1015 in April.
                          Attached Files
                          First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post

Yea and people say this isnt the same stadium that ruth and gehrig played in....ugh.
                            www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                              Yea and people say this isnt the same stadium that ruth and gehrig played in....ugh.
                              I was at a game in 2008, and there were some girls from Cincinnati sitting behind us. Since they were cute, my brother and I decided to talk to them to try and get in their pants. Well, me being quite knowledgeable about the Stadium (thank you baseball-fever!!) and Yankees in general, I began to tell them a brief history. When I said that we are sitting in a Stadium that was built in 1923, they immediately shot me a strange look and said it doesn't look like it was built in 1923. I then told them about the renovation in the 70's, and that's why it feels and looks the way it does.

My point is, people that say Ruth or Gehrig never played there simply don't understand, or are casual fans that couldn't really care less anyway. Here on baseball-fever, we know better and understand what is at stake. I don't pay much attention to the casual fan and don't bother to convince them otherwise. Hell, I would never have known the extent of all the details of the RYS if it weren't for hours upon hours of discussion and discourse on baseball-fever.

Someone will bring up the fact that Yogi himself said he never played at the RYS. With all due respect to Yogi, he is completely mistaken and probably speaking from his heart. The fans on the mezzanine level, and the first sections of the upper deck are the exact same distance from the players (okay, maybe not EXACT, but pretty darn close), because they remained unchanged! The shape of the upper deck also remained the same, but with extra rows added to the top. When I sat in the upper deck and looked DOWN on the field (rather than OUT to the field in NYS), I could picture Babe Ruth walking up to the plate, and the feeling I got from that was one of old-school baseball because I was hanging over the field as many old ballparks did. What a shame they couldn't cantilever (or gasp!!!! use support columns) at the NYS to get a nice old-school feel.
                              Last edited by locke40; 12-10-2009, 08:47 AM. Reason: OYS > NYS
                              sigpic

Comment

• Friggin' Stadium (large S) should have been encased in a giant glass dome and preserved for thousands of years.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X