No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My opinion is that the courthouse, being an intricate part of the view from inside Yankee Stadium, had to be included in that picture. It was put in that particular area for a reason. Had it been where it was supposed to be you wouldn't be able to see it. The scoreboard would be in the way.

Comment

• Flipped

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
      My opinion is that the courthouse, being an intricate part of the view from inside Yankee Stadium, had to be included in that picture. It was put in that particular area for a reason. Had it been where it was supposed to be you wouldn't be able to see it. The scoreboard would be in the way.
      Or just, you know, draw the other side of the Stadium, and include the courthouse accurately.

Renovation Alternate 1.jpg
      Last edited by locke40; 12-12-2009, 10:53 PM. Reason: Flipped
      sigpic

Comment

• Confused

Was that plan actually for NYS or just a way to revitalize RYS? It looks pretty much the same as our old girl, with some new options.

Also to the other posters who were bummed that the facing of the loge is already off... ditto. That and the exposure of the old catwalks in the upper deck were the two things I was really looking forward to seeing.

Comment

• Originally posted by YanksRule View Post
          There were plans for it back in 1998... I gotta say those "toothbrush lights" reek of Jacobs Field.. or Progressive Field or whatever it's called now... but the place looks so much more like the pre-renovated stadium than the new stadium ever will

http://www.stadiumpage.com/stpages/yankeereno.html
          Doesn't look all that much different than the current stadium, at least in concept. There were major downsides to using this design though.
          1) The team would have to find another home while the renovations were done, because I'm not too sure that they could be done in the short time between November and April.
          2) The seating capacity would've taken a huge hit by eliminating all of the Loge seating, I think we'd end up with a 45,000 seat ballpark or maybe even less. Especially significant when you consider it was right around '98 that the Yankees started selling out nearly every night.

Not to mention that the whole outside glass concourse is just tacky and doesn't work with the classic design of the stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by DM23MVP View Post
            Building across the street allowed them to build a world class baseball stadium from the ground up and get everything they wanted without all the snags and headaches that come with renovating a 85 year old building.

Nobody is saying that we all have to be happy that the old ballpark that we grew up with is is coming down before our eyes, but it's nice that the Yankees ownership went above and beyond to make the new stadium feel like home. And it does. I went to over 1000 games at RYS and about 65 games at NYS and when sitting in my seat, it feels like the same park, minus the massive screen in CF. It feels like home.
            I have to agree completely. Yes, it's sad that the original Stadium is now coming down, but it was a great run for 85 years and logistically it was impossible to think that a renovation could be done to the same facility to keep things up to date with the standards that modern ballparks expect *and* to do it without forcing the Yankees to seek a temporary home elsewhere. Considering that 15 years ago, Steinbrenner did not even want to have a new ballpark in the Bronx but was in love with the West Side idea (which in all candor would have been more convenient for a NJ resident like me to get to the games since central NJ residents like me have it worst as far as convenient access goes, whereas the West Side would have made it easy by train just like going to MSG) the fact that he ultimately agreed to keep the Yankees in its historic community in the Bronx should say plenty.

I went to many Yankee games over the years starting in 76 (so I have no frame of reference for the original Stadium configuration) and I went twice to the new Stadium this past year. Of course there are flaws in the new Stadium one can point out, but right away it too felt like "home" to me as much as the old place and with a championship season in the ballpark's first year, I think its much easier to see it now as part of an exciting new chapter in Yankee history.

Comment

• Never mind the Stadium, I think that would have been the *ultimate* in renovation to move the Courthouse to overlook leftfield instead of rightfield!

Comment

Not to mention that the whole outside glass concourse is just tacky and doesn't work with the classic design of the stadium.
                Well compared to the new place, this design was 8,000 times to the power of infinity better - because it would've been real. Sure the new stadium is okay, but it's an obscenity to tear down the real thing.
                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Haha they still got a moat though!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                    Haha they still got a moat though!!!
                    The "moat" is really the existing aisle between the field box and main box seats . . . .

Comment

• To use a painfully tired but still appropriate term, the concept drawings (and this one in particular) were just really a case of plain political "grandstanding" (personal opinion) focusing on ideas high on fanciful concept but lacking in reality or substance.

All of the elements in this 1998 picture: composition, angle, height of the ads on the back of the bleachers, even what is depicted in the scoreboard screen (the swinging batter) is an almost identical (and plaigeristic) quote from the 1971-72 illustration featured in the 1972 Yankee yearbook (seen below). The supposed imagination used in this drawing is severely questioned when you see that the 1998 scoreboard is actually from Camden Yards and that both scoreboards depicted cut off at exactly midpoint in each drawing.

The Courthouse is simply a prop to replace the high-rise. The now glass-fronted mezzanine luxury boxes in 1998 are the overhang below the upper deck of 1972.

If I am not mistaken, these drawings came to be around the time of the expansion joint collapse.

Dennis
                      BrooklynDdoger14
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 12-13-2009, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                        Well compared to the new place, this design was 8,000 times to the power of infinity better - because it would've been real. Sure the new stadium is okay, but it's an obscenity to tear down the real thing.
                        How would've it been real? It would've been the 2nd renovation of the original, a bunch of patchwork. The only thing left from the original 1923, aside from some concrete and steel that you don't even see, would be the address. The new stadium may not be the original, but it's a thousand times better than a Renovated Renovated Yankee Stadium (RRYS).

Comment

How would've it been real? It would've been the 2nd renovation of the original, a bunch of patchwork. The only thing left from the original 1923, aside from some concrete and steel that you don't even see, would be the address. The new stadium may not be the original, but it's a thousand times better than a Renovated Renovated Yankee Stadium (RRYS).
                          People may not be informed correctly, but the 1974 renovation basically covered aesthetic changes, about 80% of the renovated stadium is original to 1923. There really isn't much structurally that they can change to a building in a 3 year time frame, so if the Yankees did decide to renovate their stadium, for the second time, it would have still been the same thing. Madison Square Garden is underway their 2nd renovation as well, and it will be the same building. The real question would have been where would the Yankees have played from 1998-2001, probably Shea Stadium. I really would have loved to see another renovation, but it wouldn't really fix the concourse width, just how they were decorated. But it doesn't seem that it would have been a problem, as many Yankees fans here like the old stadium better than the new one.

Comment

Sure, if the Yankees were an expansion club.

Why is it that team ownership and indeed many fans don't care a bit about history? You know, the Yanks had some!
                            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Did anyone notice that the scoreboard clock is analog, and that the foul pole does double duty as a flag pole?
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                                Sure, if the Yankees were an expansion club.

Why is it that team ownership and indeed many fans don't care a bit about history? You know, the Yanks had some!
                                I think the notion that those Yankee fans who are willing to embrace the new Stadium "don't care about history" is ridiculous. Life goes on, ballparks don't always last forever, and the important thing is that the traditions that made the original great are carried over in many ways to the new ballpark which signifies the heritage of the Yankees from the minute you see it and then walk into it. And that's more than I can say of the other New York team's new ballpark which cared more about the history of a long-departed team than it did about the history of the team that plays there!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X