Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DM23MVP View Post
    How would've it been real? It would've been the 2nd renovation of the original, a bunch of patchwork. The only thing left from the original 1923, aside from some concrete and steel that you don't even see, would be the address. The new stadium may not be the original, but it's a thousand times better than a Renovated Renovated Yankee Stadium (RRYS).
    As had been said many times here, the exterior wall is original - and that is quite visible.

The interior concourses and ramps are original (with the exception of the UD) and that is also visible.

Finally, remaining part of the bleachers, the majority of the upper deck, all of the loge and the back half of the lower deck was original. Visible.

And all of that put together, the overall "shape" of the Stadium, which certainly was a large part of it's distintive appearence, remained.

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
      As had been said many times here, the exterior wall is original - and that is quite visible.

The interior concourses and ramps are original (with the exception of the UD) and that is also visible.

Finally, remaining part of the bleachers, the majority of the upper deck, all of the loge and the back half of the lower deck was original. Visible.

And all of that put together, the overall "shape" of the Stadium, which certainly was a large part of it's distintive appearence, remained.
      I watched the mlb network 1964 world series highlights today
      the stadium that the yanks played in 1964 has no resemblence to the stadium the yankees played in from 1976 on- there is just no way of getting around it
      the whole look of leftfield was just wrong- as much as I loved the rys it just looked awkward in spots and not anything like the beautiful if not perfect old stadium

granted once you left your seats and hit the concourses you than had for the most part authentic old yankee stadium

I loved the old, and rys and though am deeply saddened the old address is being torn down- I love the Yankees and have begun to call the new place home
      there will be many painful days spent walking past the old place going to games next year- but I will continue to cheer on the yankees
      Im just glad my 8 year old went to about 50 games in the rys and has great memories of it

Comment

• Originally posted by epaddon View Post
        I have to agree completely. Yes, it's sad that the original Stadium is now coming down, but it was a great run for 85 years and logistically it was impossible to think that a renovation could be done to the same facility to keep things up to date with the standards that modern ballparks expect *and* to do it without forcing the Yankees to seek a temporary home elsewhere. Considering that 15 years ago, Steinbrenner did not even want to have a new ballpark in the Bronx but was in love with the West Side idea (which in all candor would have been more convenient for a NJ resident like me to get to the games since central NJ residents like me have it worst as far as convenient access goes, whereas the West Side would have made it easy by train just like going to MSG) the fact that he ultimately agreed to keep the Yankees in its historic community in the Bronx should say plenty.

I went to many Yankee games over the years starting in 76 (so I have no frame of reference for the original Stadium configuration) and I went twice to the new Stadium this past year. Of course there are flaws in the new Stadium one can point out, but right away it too felt like "home" to me as much as the old place and with a championship season in the ballpark's first year, I think its much easier to see it now as part of an exciting new chapter in Yankee history.
        The West Side proposal was a joke from day one. All this talk began in 1993 when the Yankees were in the pennant race for the first time since 1988 and Steinbrenner wasn't pleased with attendance, and he was citing the poor parking and traffic in the Bronx as reasons. But for godsakes, the West Side of Manhattan has some of the worst traffic in America, and where was the parking going to be? Furthermore, that walk from Penn Station to the West Side Highway is no picnic for an average suburbanite, especially at night.

New Jersey didn't even want the Yankees. New Jersey is the highest taxed state in America, New Jersey taxpayers were never gonna pay a dime to George Steinbrenner. I don't give Steinbrenner any credit for staying in the Bronx, where was he gonna go?? "The Yonkers Yankees."

Comment

• Originally posted by epaddon View Post
          I think the notion that those Yankee fans who are willing to embrace the new Stadium "don't care about history" is ridiculous. Life goes on, ballparks don't always last forever, and the important thing is that the traditions that made the original great are carried over in many ways to the new ballpark which signifies the heritage of the Yankees from the minute you see it and then walk into it. And that's more than I can say of the other New York team's new ballpark which cared more about the history of a long-departed team than it did about the history of the team that plays there!
          Quoted for truth. Welcome to the forum!
          Last edited by Rob R; 12-13-2009, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
            Quoted for truth. Welcome to the forum!
            Nah, I disagree - I firmly believe that Yankee fans who "love" the new stadium have chosen amenities over real history. Sure, it's their choice and their right, but I'm callin' it as a I see it.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
              Nah, I disagree - I firmly believe that Yankee fans who "love" the new stadium have chosen amenities over real history. Sure, it's their choice and their right, but I'm callin' it as a I see it.
              Ide love to know which new amenities me and my family enjoy- we still bring our own food- my little guy still runs up the ramp to the grandstand- we still buy him a cotton candy- we watch a baseball game and hope the yankees win- sounds the same as rys to me

and really what choice do we have but to go to the new stadium and love it - its our home now for better or worse- we still want to see the yankees

now your not only down on the new stadium- but anyone who sets foot in it- how sad
              oh ya:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Comment

• Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
                my little guy still runs up the ramp to the grandstand- we still buy him a cotton candy- we watch a baseball game and hope the yankees win- sounds the same as rys to me
                Unfortunately now you cant point out the black seats to him and tell him that a man hit 3 home runs in a world series game 30+ years ago there.

He gets to grow up with the mohegan sports bar in centerfield...its a crying shame.
                www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• [QUOTE=JoeDOYS;1661973]Unfortunately now you cant point out the black seats to him and tell him that a man hit 3 home runs in a world series game 30+ years ago there.

He gets to grow up with the mohegan sports bar in centerfield...its a crying shame.[/QUOT

well Im lucky my little guy got to see the rys- but I guess I could have told him Reggies shot would have rattled around in the monuments in the old stadium instead
                  and that many of arods homeruns have gone where there used to be bleachers not back to back bullpens -and the bleachers stuck way behind them
                  thats the stadium I wish he had also seen
                  Last edited by Mastermind; 12-14-2009, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                    Unfortunately now you cant point out the black seats to him and tell him that a man hit 3 home runs in a world series game 30+ years ago there.

He gets to grow up with the mohegan sports bar in centerfield...its a crying shame.
                    yes the old stadium and rys have the greatest memories in baseball history
                    however atlanta fans will never point out aarons 714 hr, any home parks mays, clemente, gibson, cobb, musial played in
                    kirby puckets plays in minnisota will also be nothing but a memory soon
                    its a shame but much of baseball history is now but memories
                    I am not a big fan of the way new yankee stadium looks- but it is what it is our new home- and I now have a bunch of great memories from there already

Comment

• We (Mets fans) used to have "that's where Swoboda made that catch," "that's where 'the Franchise' used to rule," "that's where the ball went between Buckner's legs," and so forth.

Now, what do we have? "That's where Gerut became the first player to open a new ballpark with a home run," "that's where Bartlett made the unassisted triple play to end the game," and, of course, "that's where 'Mo' got his 500th career save."

"New home of Amazin'?" Sure is... for the other team.
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?
                      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                        We (Mets fans) used to have "that's where Swoboda made that catch," "that's where 'the Franchise' used to rule," "that's where the ball went between Buckner's legs," and so forth.

Now, what do we have? "That's where Gerut became the first player to open a new ballpark with a home run," "that's where Bartlett made the unassisted triple play to end the game," and, of course, "that's where 'Mo' got his 500th career save."

Gary's point is a good one, and made with a stadium with less history (Shea) than the real Yankee Stadium now being gutted by the suits.

There are plenty of Mets fans who are also serious NY baseball fans who really hate to see the real Yankee Stadium go - it's just a horrible preservation crime that didn't have to happen. Has nothing to do with whether the new place is nice (it is) or an intrinsic hatred for the franchise - it's merely horrible to witness the death of the House That Ruth Built.

As a footnote, I don't think Fulton County Stadium or the Metrodome is a fair comparison to the real Yankee Stadium - on almost any basis you can find! Hell, a lot more history was made at Big Shea than those joints...
                        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                          We (Mets fans) used to have "that's where Swoboda made that catch," "that's where 'the Franchise' used to rule," "that's where the ball went between Buckner's legs," and so forth.

Did those great moments all happen in Shea's inaugural season? Nope.

Give it time. History doesn't establish itself in one year.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                            Give it time. History doesn't establish itself in one year.
                            Right, history accumulates over 50+ years then it is hit with a wrecking ball and you are told to 'start over'...
                            www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

Right, history accumulates over 50+ years then it is hit with a wrecking ball and you are told to 'start over'...
                              Well played.
                              Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

thats the beauty of new yankee stadium- that despite its flaws- almost at every turn you are reminded of the yankees past-
                                and it sure has started over on the right foot

and not to downplay met history but besides a few great plays we all remember and are historical- the metrodome had just as many -ask there fans to recite them- new yorkers have not cornered the market on baseball history

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X