Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
    thats the beauty of new yankee stadium- that despite its flaws- almost at every turn you are reminded of the yankees past-
    and it sure has started over on the right foot

and not to downplay met history but besides a few great plays we all remember and are historical- the metrodome had just as many -ask there fans to recite them- new yorkers have not cornered the market on baseball history
    . . . and then you remember "it didn't happen here."

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
      . . . and then you remember "it didn't happen here."
      Well played, to you too old chap.
      Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
        Gary's point is a good one, and made with a stadium with less history (Shea) than the real Yankee Stadium now being gutted by the suits.

There are plenty of Mets fans who are also serious NY baseball fans who really hate to see the real Yankee Stadium go - it's just a horrible preservation crime that didn't have to happen. Has nothing to do with whether the new place is nice (it is) or an intrinsic hatred for the franchise - it's merely horrible to witness the death of the House That Ruth Built.

As a footnote, I don't think Fulton County Stadium or the Metrodome is a fair comparison to the real Yankee Stadium - on almost any basis you can find! Hell, a lot more history was made at Big Shea than those joints...
        With that logic, alot of Yankee fans can say that's where "Posada hit the first home-run at NYS," or where the team got 15 walk-offs, where they won the World Series, where Jeter got the most all time Yankee hits. Within the next few years we maybe abe to say where A-Rod got his 600, 700, 763 HRs. Where Jeter got his 3,000, 3,500, and maybe his 4,000 hit. Where Mo got his 550 and maybe his 600 save. Plenty of history is going to be made.
        The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
          With that logic, alot of Yankee fans can say that's where "Posada hit the first home-run at NYS," or where the team got 15 walk-offs, where they won the World Series, where Jeter got the most all time Yankee hits. Within the next few years we maybe abe to say where A-Rod got his 600, 700, 763 HRs. Where Jeter got his 3,000, 3,500, and maybe his 4,000 hit. Where Mo got his 550 and maybe his 600 save. Plenty of history is going to be made.
          Sure, but I don't want to hear about Ruth and Gehrig and DiMaggio anymore - they never played there (unless they went across the street to play stickball with the kids in Macombs Dam Park).
          Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Nah, I disagree - I firmly believe that Yankee fans who "love" the new stadium have chosen amenities over real history. Sure, it's their choice and their right, but I'm callin' it as a I see it.
            You'd know very little of me if you think my view is a choice based on "amenities" over "real history" since my appreciation and obsession with Yankee history is quite extensive. Maybe I should say in response that those who are finding reason to find fault in the new Stadium are showing more their love of an address than they are the true history of the team. If your love is based solely on the ability to say "Mantle played here!" then IMO that's not showing the real appreciation for the team's "real history" in which the *accomplishments* transcend something like that. I seriously doubt for instance that if the Brooklyn Dodgers had stayed in Brooklyn in a new ballpark that we'd be hearing people bitch about how "but it's not where Jackie Robinson played" we'd be happier for them that their legacy of playing in Brooklyn continued from one facility to another!

I am quite certain that had this forum existed in 1976, there would be a lot of anger over what was *no longer* in the renovated Stadium that was gone and those who appreciated the renovated Stadium in 1976 from the get-go would I suppose be derided for choosing "amenities" over "real history" because they didn't shed a tear for the loss of the support columns or who didn't spend so much time bemoaning the loss of the facade over the upper deck? (There's irony; those who would be in the "you don't love real history" would be citing a factor in 1976 that today 33 years later gets *restored* in the new ballpark!).

Of course there are flaws in the new ballpark that I hope get fixed in time, just as there were flaws when the renovated stadium opened in 1976. But in time, new history was made in the renovated Stadium that first year with Chambliss's HR, and then with Reggie in the 77 WS, and the new ballpark did the same in its first year with a championship and many great moments. If 09 was just our counterpart to 1976, I can hardly wait to see if the second year gives us a counterpart to 1977!
            Last edited by epaddon; 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• I'll just add this. My first year as a Yankee fan was in 1976 so that means for my *entire* life my only frame of reference from a firsthand experience has been the renovated Stadium. And in 32 years of going there, I never once was able to quite comprehend or connect with the thought of Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle playing there because the look of the renovated Stadium is so radically different from what was there before. It always exuded more the air of a well-designed park of the 1970s and not a place from the 1920s. OTOH, my first time to the new Stadium, sitting in a place where there was a facade on the upper deck and an old scoreboard on the outfield wall, for the *first* time I had a better sense of what it must have been like to see a Yankee game in the days when Mantle etc. played there, not because it was on the same playing surface, but because the new ballpark learned to call attention to some of the features of the past of the days when they played. So again, I think it's really a weak argument to suggest that the appreciation is rooted entirely in "amenities".

Comment

• Originally posted by epaddon View Post
                But in time, new history was made in the renovated Stadium that first year with Chambliss's HR, and then with Reggie in the 77 WS, and the new ballpark did the same in its first year with a championship and many great moments.
                Last time i checked chambliss and reggies home runs went into the same stands as ruths and gehrigs....
                www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                  Last time i checked chambliss and reggies home runs went into the same stands as ruths and gehrigs....
                  Reggie and Ruth played at the same place - Texeira and Sabathia never did, it's as simple as that.

Enjoy the new stadium (it's very nice, I have to say) but accept the trade-off: tossing brilliant baseball history into the garbage pail.
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

The dimensions weren't the same, the wall was higher, the outfield advertisements were all different......all of which I think would matter to those who say their first regard is for "real history" and who if they'd been around back then would be spouting the "history was thrown in the garbage" line for the renovated Stadium.

Comment

in fact chamblisses landed in a gully between the bleachers and the wall that didnt exist in the old stadium- I guess you can say it went through the same air though
                      Last edited by Mastermind; 12-14-2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

and Im not sure reggies homerun would have made it to the bleachers in the old stadium- but It might have rattled around in the monuments in the classic old stadium

Comment

• Man do we need new demo pics.

We all have opinions and feelings on OYS vs. RYS vs. NYS - but they are opinions and feelings. Not facts. And looks like no one is changing their minds.

This thread is feeling like groundhog day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
                            in fact chamblisses landed in a gully between the bleachers and the wall that didnt exist in the old stadium- I guess you can say it went through the same air though
                            Yea youre right, it would have been extra bases in the oys.

Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
                            and Im not sure reggies homerun would have made it to the bleachers in the old stadium- but It might have rattled around in the monuments in the classic old stadium
                            from what i understand the black was part of the bleachers in oys...that would have been a home run there.
                            www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• from what i understand the black was part of the bleachers in oys...that would have been a home run there.[/QUOTE]

but a homerun to center was 461 ft to center at oys not the 411 I think rys was at the time- it would have been close

Comment

Sure, if the Yankees were an expansion club.

Why is it that team ownership and indeed many fans don't care a bit about history? You know, the Yanks had some!
                                The Yankees still have that history, tearing down the stadium doesn't change what has already occured in the past, genius. Does WWII cease to exist since the bullets are no longer flying in western europe? What is affected by tearing down Yankee Stadium is the future, not the history.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X