No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If team ownership didn't care about team history, they would have made NYS look like Citifield, a tribute to another baseball team and the mark of a genuine case of a team owner who doesn't care about the team history of the team he happens to own (as evidenced by how for ten years he has made the Mets wear a home uniform that looks like a Dodger uniform instead of the traditional pinstripes).

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
      Reggie and Ruth played at the same place - Texeira and Sabathia never did, it's as simple as that.
      Sure they did, before they joined the Yankees.

Oh, right, that doesn't count.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
        Yea youre right, it would have been extra bases in the oys.

from what i understand the black was part of the bleachers in oys...that would have been a home run there.
        Deeper when Babe and Lou played there, I doubt Reggie's blast to centerfield would have been a home run, into the bleachers.

Centerfield in Babe's time........487 feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by DM23MVP View Post
          The Yankees still have that history, tearing down the stadium doesn't change what has already occured in the past, genius. Does WWII cease to exist since the bullets are no longer flying in western europe? What is affected by tearing down Yankee Stadium is the future, not the history.
          Living history, DM23MVP, living history. That's why my father went to the American Cemetery in Belgium to see where his uncle fought and died in the Battle of the Bulge. The history of the Yankees 1923-2008 does not go away with the demo of YS, it just makes it harder to "touch."

But again, groundhog day. We are discussing the same points over and over. It's just that some people can go to an historic place and "feel" the history and others can't or don't want to. For them the physical place does not matter. Just "knowing" that it happened somewhere, sometime is all that they need. Nother right or wrong with either view.
          Last edited by SparkyL; 12-14-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• in 1977 it was 417 to center...reggie's ball landed about half way up the black area....i'd say the ball would have been at least off the wall at oys.

Comment

• Can we have seperate threads

one for the demolition and one for the mourning of the demolition. I would be easier to get to the pictures of the demolition without having to wade through the "its like watching a relative die" or "Steinbrenner will rot in hell for this" rants. PEople are entitled to post how much they are going to miss Yankee Stadium but lets keep those to a seperate thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                Living history, DM23MVP, living history. That's why my father went to the American Cemetery in Belgium to see where his uncle fought and died in the Battle of the Bulge. The history of the Yankees 1923-2008 does not go away with the demo of YS, it just makes it harder to "touch."

But again, groundhog day. We are discussing the same points over and over. It's just that some people can go to an historic place and "feel" the history and others can't or don't want to. For them the physical place does not matter. Just "knowing" that it happened somewhere, sometime is all that they need. Nother right or wrong with either view.
                Understandable, but the hallowed grounds where all that history took place will still be there, the structure will no longer be there, but someone can stand in the middle of heritage field and say, the Mick stood here, or this is where the Babe stood when he swatted the first home run in Yankee Stadium, etc. The history took place on the field, not in the stands.

Comment

• Exactly. The site of the old ballpark isn't going the way of so many others and becoming a parking lot, but will still have a playing field intact.

Comment

• Originally posted by DM23MVP View Post
                    Understandable, but the hallowed grounds where all that history took place will still be there, the structure will no longer be there, but someone can stand in the middle of heritage field and say, the Mick stood here, or this is where the Babe stood when he swatted the first home run in Yankee Stadium, etc. The history took place on the field, not in the stands.
                    Yeah, if you can FIND it.

Comment

• A couple of months ago someone had asked about the disposition of Pete Sheehy's plaque, since all of the other plaques from Monument Park had already been moved across the street.

I don't know if this has been resolved, but this should answer the question. Not certain of the date of the most recent of the two photos, but it is well into the demolition.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• where did you find that picture?

Comment

• It looks like they removed the plaque?
                          No one can make you
                          Do what they want to
                          You know you're stronger
                          Than the lies
                          That they tell you

Comment

• Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
                            It looks like they removed the plaque?
                            Yeah it does. If you look closely it doesn't look anything like the plaque, it just looks like the outline of it.

Comment

• It looks like the dugouts are no more. Update from WCBS.

http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/5897056.php

Last edited by JCCC; 12-15-2009, 04:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ncyankeefan View Post
                                in 1977 it was 417 to center...reggie's ball landed about half way up the black area....i'd say the ball would have been at least off the wall at oys.
                                The home run to the black in '77 was into bleacher material that was behind the old wall. I'm not sure why this is confusing to people. It would have been a homrerun in the old ballpark. The plate was moved up about 10 feet, that that will make up for some of the difference. But the black bleacher area in the renovated stadium was behind the wall. No two ways about it.
                                Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X