Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
    The home run to the black in '77 was into bleacher material that was behind the old wall. I'm not sure why this is confusing to people. It would have been a homrerun in the old ballpark. The plate was moved up about 10 feet, that that will make up for some of the difference. But the black bleacher area in the renovated stadium was behind the wall. No two ways about it.
    Thank you.
    www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• So the women's bathroom had pink walls?

Comment

• Another depressing batch; I really wish wcbs had larger pictures though. A couple things I noticed: 1) there are a few remains of the mezzanine facing. It's hard to tell, but I think a side that was painted white is showing. 2) Not sure what these rooms were for, but that's a slightly different shade of blue (or green?) than we're used to seeing. 3) Looks like they piled the iron mezzanine structure from rf. 4) The remains of the end support column; either the actual metal, or it's concrete base painted black from the '66 facelift - hard to tell though.
        Attached Files
        ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

• OK, that's it for me. Abandon hope forever. yes we must let go, yes we must accept New Yankee Stadium as Yankee Stadium. I like the new stadium. I LOVED the old one, renovated and original. It would have been torn down sooner or later, and sooner is fine by me.

HOWEVER: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHY THOSE DUGOUTS, OR AT LEAST THE FIRST BASE DUGOUT AND 10 ROWS OF SEATS BEHIND IT COULD NOT HAVE BEEN PRESERVED. I VOTED FOR BLOOMBERG BUT THIS IS A FAILURE OF THE MAYORS OFFICE. THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET COMMUNITY LEADERS TO AGREE TO AT LEAST THAT.

IT WAS UNREASONABLE TO EXPECT LARGE SECTIONS OF THE STADIUM TO BE PRESERVED, BUT IT IS A LANDMARK OF NEW YORK AND AMERICAN HISTORY. SOME OF THE HEAVY HITTERS WHO ARE NOT JUST YANKEE FANS BUT BASEBALL FANS SHOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING. HENRY KISSINGER COULD USE SOME GOOD KARMA. IM SURE HE COULD HAVE CALLED BLOOMBERG.

I GUESS THERE IS SOME HOPE FOR GATE 2, BUT THE DESTRUCTION OF THE DUGOUT IS A DISGRACE. OK, i'm done with capital letters. sorry non-Yankee fans but once again, those photos are painful.

Comment

• OK, calming down some more. Those werent the original 1923 dugouts. They only date to 1976. Still, a lot of baseball history was witnessed from them from 1976 to 2008.

Comment

• 1923 concrete

Behind the now-demolished dug-out - fascinating to see it uncovered, the old concrete seating "steps" from the original stadium.
              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Will the locker room/club house be exposed pretty soon? I'm not sure how close they are in relation to the dugout
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                  Behind the now-demolished dug-out - fascinating to see it uncovered, the old concrete seating "steps" from the original stadium.
                  I'm not really sure what you mean here? All of the concrete forward of the main aisle was removed in the renovation, not buried.

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                    Will the locker room/club house be exposed pretty soon? I'm not sure how close they are in relation to the dugout
                    I don't know if we'll ever see the clubhouse exposed. I'm pretty sure it's underneath the concourse, so we might never see it exposed.

Richard

Comment

• Demolition photos

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know why the upper deck seats behind home plate are not as dark as the rest of the seats?

Comment

• Originally posted by BL73 View Post
                        Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know why the upper deck seats behind home plate are not as dark as the rest of the seats?
                        Waterproofing.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                          I don't know if we'll ever see the clubhouse exposed. I'm pretty sure it's underneath the concourse, so we might never see it exposed.

Richard
                          Sadly for us, that is most definitely the case, as the locker room area would extend all the way to the exterior wall. By the time the demolition reaches that region, there will probably be precious little that will be recognizable.

Dennis
                          BrooklynDodger14

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                            I'm not really sure what you mean here? All of the concrete forward of the main aisle was removed in the renovation, not buried.

Richard
                            Either way, it really sucks they couldn't have gotten a pair of US Army CH-47s in there and lifted that dugout out of the place and hauled it straight up to Cooperstown. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
                            RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Even though it's a dying edifice the upper deck still looks so much better than the cheap HOK white lawn furniture look.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X