Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gehrig27 View Post
    Another depressing batch; I really wish wcbs had larger pictures though. A couple things I noticed: 1) there are a few remains of the mezzanine facing. It's hard to tell, but I think a side that was painted white is showing. 2) Not sure what these rooms were for, but that's a slightly different shade of blue (or green?) than we're used to seeing. 3) Looks like they piled the iron mezzanine structure from rf. 4) The remains of the end support column; either the actual metal, or it's concrete base painted black from the '66 facelift - hard to tell though.
    the 70's reno, blue siding was placed over the original facing.
    in these pix from the 70's reno,you can see that the 60's reno white paint scheme did not extend behind the press box level 1st base side special enclosed boxes which were added in the late 50's.
    the 50's "topping money green" color remained until now, but was hidden...
    Attached Files
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
      in these pix from the 70's reno,you can see that the 60's reno white paint scheme did not extend behind the press box level 1st base side special enclosed boxes which were added in the late 50's.
      I just hope to hell that someone inside gets a picture of anything green before they cart it away

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
        It appears that the dugout is in the process of being buried in the last pic. If so, Yankee Stadium's home dugout will always remain under heritage park and eventually decompose and become a part of the soil of the Bronx.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
          It appears that the dugout is in the process of being buried in the last pic. If so, Yankee Stadium's home dugout will always remain under heritage park and eventually decompose and become a part of the soil of the Bronx.
          Like a the Big Papi jersey that they didn't find.

Comment

• Check out these demolition photos:

http://zellspinstripeblog.com/2009/1...tadium-121609/

Comment

• Originally posted by zellyanks91 View Post
              "Yankee Stadium as it is now is better than Shea when Shea opened"

Very frickin funny!

Y'know I'm actually quite fed up with the Shea bashing on here and elsewhere. It's lame, tedious, and just another dopey bandwagon that the morons of the world want to jump on. The same IDIOTS who won't ride a roller-coaster that doesn't go upside-down. What groupies... Get a life!

And no - I'm not a closet Mets fan. My handle describes me to a T, and I'd be just as content if the Mets did put a third Trophy in their case.
              RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                "Yankee Stadium as it is now is better than Shea when Shea opened"

Very frickin funny!

Y'know I'm actually quite fed up with the Shea bashing on here and elsewhere. It's lame, tedious, and just another dopey bandwagon that the morons of the world want to jump on. The same IDIOTS who won't ride a roller-coaster that doesn't go upside-down. What groupies... Get a life!

And no - I'm not a closet Mets fan. My handle describes me to a T, and I'd be just as content if the Mets did put a third Trophy in their case.
                People forget that NYC would have really been up a creek without Shea 1974-1975. May not have been perfect, butit saved the Yankees, and spared the Giants faithful that horrible drive to the Yale Bowl !!!!

And as a Mets fan who was lucky enough to sit in the old 'death valley' bleachers as a kid, I will miss the OYS/RYS ,

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                  People forget that NYC would have really been up a creek without Shea 1974-1975. May not have been perfect, butit saved the Yankees, and spared the Giants faithful that horrible drive to the Yale Bowl !!!!

And as a Mets fan who was lucky enough to sit in the old 'death valley' bleachers as a kid, I will miss the OYS/RYS ,
                  The New Haven GIANTS? That was actually a plan-B?? The traffic/logistics of it would've been a nightmare at best.
                  RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Sad site in the Bronx these days..... A few rooftop photos from Monday, December 14, 2009. More demolition photos can be seen on Ultimateyankees.com. Also included is a link to Saving gate 2.

http://www.ultimateyankees.com/oldya...demolition.htm

http://www.ultimateyankees.com/CCOYSModelRenderings.htm

http://www.ultimateyankees.com/CCOYSPressReleases.htm

http://www.ultimateyankees.com/CCOYS.htm
                    Attached Files
                    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• 20 new ones up at my site.

www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                        The New Haven GIANTS? That was actually a plan-B?? The traffic/logistics of it would've been a nightmare at best.
                        Ya kidding, right? NYC kicked the Giants out of OYS as soon as the baseball season ended in 1973. Off to New Haven went the Mara's, vowing never to return. The rest of the '73 season was played in New Haven, along with the entire 1974 season...including a Jets 26-20 OT win vs the Giants (maybe first ever reg season OT win in NFL history) with Joe sneaking one in on two bad legs. Anyway, the fans could not take a third year in New Haven, so the city pressured the Mets to let a 4th team use Shea for the season. What a mess Shea became, and it took years to recover. So all 4 teams and their fans owe Shea a little respect. Shea was better than that horrible drive to CT.

Mara was so ticked off at NYC that he never reconsidered moving back to NY. Over the years there were several drives to get the Jets back to Queens or Manhattan, but the Giants would never even talk to NY.

Comment

• The otherwise useless NY Newsday has photos today from inside the stadium. newsday.com has recently become a pay site ( lol ) so I'll post the pics here. There's 23 of them

Current state of the old Yankee Stadium
                          Inside the old Yankee Stadium there's no telling where home plate is . . . errr . . . used to be. Same goes for the pitcher's mound, dugouts, outfield walls, clubhouses. They're all gone. Even Monument Park. It's a stunningly empty, sad scene.

Standing inside this once proud baseball landmark you remind yourself that this really shouldn't be that surprising. There hasn't been a game here in more than a year, and the scaffolding outside the stadium for several months has signaled that the deconstruction process was well under way.

But that knowledge still doesn't take away the sting when you walk through the doors to Yankee Stadium and see her in this sad shape, inching closer to her death with each day.

Wednesday, Yankees adviser Ray Negron accompanied a film crew to take shots for his upcoming motion picture, tentatively titled, "Keeper of the Pinstripes." Loosely based on Negron's childhood - he got his first job with the Yankees 36 years ago when George Steinbrenner found him putting graffiti on an exterior wall of the Stadium and "punished" him by making him a batboy - the film is billed as a modern-day "Pride of the Yankees."

This Newsday reporter tagged along for the trip inside the old stadium. The first thing that strikes you when you walk inside is that one of the most historic fields in baseball history is now one giant slew of mud, the soft type that sinks six inches with every step you take.

The stadium's structure is still very much in place, letting you know you're still standing inside what was once Yankee Stadium. But the upper deck is missing its seats, giving it a sickly depleted look.

At least there still remains some semblance of an upper deck. The concrete that used to hold the loge level and box seats are now only a memory, replaced by a mixture of rubble and construction trucks.

The only room still intact is "the Lou Gehrig room," an old storage room along the rightfield wall that Negron says Gehrig used for solitude during his last days.

There's a pillar there with a painting of Gehrig, Thurman Munson and Derek Jeter, completely undisturbed by the commotion going on around it. Its days are numbered, as well, but it's fitting that it is the last to go.

1-5
                          1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Comment

• 6-10
                            [ATTACH]79593[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]79594[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]79595[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]79596[/ATTACH]