Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
    Can we stop talking about FAIL SPORT NA$CAR in a baseball forum?

Besides, the Car of Tomorrow/Today ruined what was once a respectable racing series.

Yours truly,
    Jethro
    Understand the context in which I brought up NA$CAR. For many years it was the only sport I followed, which led to my complete lack of knowledge of any other sport. Including, apparently, the fact that the NY Giants did actually play at the Yale Bowl briefly during the '70s. Is everyone who loves sports supposed to know that, (Mandrake?) I don't think so. But during my NASCAR years, I had on such blinders that I literally couldn't name more than two or three NY metro area sports franchises - and I'm from CONNECTICUT! How the heck many people from CT actually KNOW what NASCAR is, let alone follow it?

That is the context in which I mentioned NA$CAR. In recent years, for whatever reason, I've come to my senses and discovered NASCAR for the fraud it is, and learned about and began to follow and enjoy other sports, along with the architecture in which they are played.
    Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 12-17-2009, 05:53 PM.
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• NASCAR is indeed a fraud, but the Indy 500 is still the "Greatest Spectacle In Racing." (even though open-wheel racing has been ruined in the last decade).

Comment

• Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
        To quote George Carlin, "NASCAR isn't a sport, auto racing is a form of transportation. Riding the bus isn't a sport so why should NASCAR be a sport??"
        Riding a bus doesn't require strength, endurance, nerves of steel (and balls to match), precision hand-eye coordination and extreme skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk2DNyy4Skc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV7L8I4_udI
        Last edited by jnakamura; 12-17-2009, 06:21 PM.
        I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
        - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Originally posted by epaddon View Post
          NASCAR is indeed a fraud, but the Indy 500 is still the "Greatest Spectacle In Racing." (even though open-wheel racing has been ruined in the last decade).
          And how has it been ruined? Honestly! I'm a recovering NASCAR addict so that means I don't know much about open-wheel either. h Probably commercially I suppose . . .

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
            It appears that the dugout is in the process of being buried in the last pic. If so, Yankee Stadium's home dugout will always remain under heritage park and eventually decompose and become a part of the soil of the Bronx.
            Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh ............. The dugout is made of concrete ..........?
            If you're waiting for concrete to decompose, you're going to be waiting a VERY LONG time.
            ------------------------------------------
            www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
            www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
            www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
              But during my NASCAR years, I had on such blinders that I literally couldn't name more than two or three NY metro area sports franchises - and I'm from CONNECTICUT!
              I can relate to that. In my college days, the only music I cared about was Beatles. Beatles, Beatles, Beatles. Didn't know from others, didn't care. But if the people who knew me then were to see what's on my MP3 player today, they'd probably have an aneurysm when they learned I've got everyone from Frank Sinatra to GG Allin. Times and tastes change.

Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
              To quote George Carlin, "NASCAR isn't a sport, auto racing is a form of transportation. Riding the bus isn't a sport so why should NASCAR be a sport??"
              To quote Harvey Pekar, "Riding the bus saves you time, but it doesn't lengthen your life."
              X
              What's THAT guy doing?
              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                Riding a bus doesn't require strength, endurance, nerves of steel (and balls to match), precision hand-eye coordination and extreme skill.

You've never ridden a bus in the city of Detroit.

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                I've got everyone from Frank Sinatra to GG Allin
                I had to triple read that. I never imagined seeing GG Allin mentioned here.
                Last edited by doctor_gogol; 12-17-2009, 08:17 PM.
                Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
                  You've never ridden a bus in the city of Detroit.
                  Point taken.
                  I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                  - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                    I've got everyone from Frank Sinatra to GG Allin.
                    But do you have the almighty DBT singin' 'bout G.G. Allin?

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                      Including, apparently, the fact that the NY Giants did actually play at the Yale Bowl briefly during the '70s. Is everyone who loves sports supposed to know that, (Mandrake?) I don't think so.
                      On a baseball forum, no it is not mandatory to know football Giants history. When discussing OLD Yankee Stadium's sad demise however, well it could be mandatory to know which professional teams played in the historic venue.

And it would show people how devoted football Giants fans are that they would put up with traveling to the Yale Bowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                        I can relate to that. In my college days, the only music I cared about was Beatles. Beatles, Beatles, Beatles. Didn't know from others, didn't care. But if the people who knew me then were to see what's on my MP3 player today, they'd probably have an aneurysm when they learned I've got everyone from Frank Sinatra to GG Allin. Times and tastes change.
                        Hey Gary

From the MSG website, Devils announcer Steve Cangialosi,may have your music beat: Cangialosi, a New York native and graduate of NYU, now lives in Manhattan and enjoys cooking, horseracing and the music of Little Jack Little and Basil Fomine.

Now if you had Little Jack Little and Basil Fomine on your MP3..................
                        (as good as having Rubber Soul and Revolver???)

Sorry, Yankee Stadium fans, just waiting for some new pictures !

http://www.msg.com/television/steve-cangialosi.html

Comment

• So with them taking out all of the lower level and mezzanine...How are they going to bring the upper deck down?...I guess them re-installing the post to balance the upperdeck when the turn buckles are cut is out of the question?

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                            On a baseball forum, no it is not mandatory to know football Giants history. When discussing OLD Yankee Stadium's sad demise however, well it could be mandatory to know which professional teams played in the historic venue.

And it would show people how devoted football Giants fans are that they would put up with traveling to the Yale Bowl.
                            I am aware that both NY Giants teams had stints at the Stadium. But your reaction to my not knowing that the football Giants played at Yale seemed to imply that I was really clueless. As I said, no sports fan knows everything about a particular sport or sports. Unless they were portrayed by Dustin Hoffman opposite Tom Cruise.

Comment

• Originally posted by jnakamura View Post

No, but driving one around double-parked cabs in Brooklyn certainly does!

Comment

• Originally posted by bandit12 View Post
                                So with them taking out all of the lower level and mezzanine...How are they going to bring the upper deck down?...I guess them re-installing the post to balance the upperdeck when the turn buckles are cut is out of the question?
                                I think that installing temporary bracing to hold up the upper deck is a distinct possibility. Seems like they're trying to control the demo carefully in order to keep the dust down. If they just started picking away at the upper deck, it would quickly become out of balance and might fall uncontrolled.
                                First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X