No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching Yankee Stadium being picked apart like it is really pisses me off, but there have been others that have been treated like trash. For the first 15 years of my life I lived close enough to this ballpark that it was the only one that I went to. It was built in 1909, and was the first major League ballpark to be built of concrete and steel. It closed its doors in 1970, sat dormant for six years, with the seats still intact, while the outer walls were razed with graffiti, and the field used as a storage for junk cars. They literally let it sit there and rot. Only when it was set afire by street gangs was it put out of its misery. Evidence of the fire can be seen in the last two photos, but the park already looked like this before the fire.

Babe Ruth hit home runs into the streets at this ballpark. The A’s hosted the Yankees here the day Lou Gehrig hit four consecutive home runs. It was also home to the legendary Jimmie Foxx, who hit unbelievably long home runs there. The A's also won five World Series' here. When they finally decided to demolish it, Yankee Stadiums old scoreboard still stood high in right center, the 60-foot Ballantine sign and Longines clock still intact while they played the 1976 All-Star game across town at The Vet.

What they’re doing to Yankee Stadium is an atrocity, and what they did to Shibe Park sickens me, and I don't want to see another stadium go through that kind of disrespect. I know, they're only ballparks, but it still ain't right. But after recalling Shibe Park it helps ease the pain of watching Yankee Stadium being demolished. At least they’re not using it as an automotive junkyard.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
      Watching Yankee Stadium being picked apart like it is really pisses me off, but there have been others that have been treated like trash. For the first 15 years of my life I lived close enough to this ballpark that it was the only one that I went to. It was built in 1909, and was the first major League ballpark to be built of concrete and steel. It closed its doors in 1970, sat dormant for six years, with the seats still intact, while the outer walls were razed with graffiti, and the field used as a storage for junk cars. They literally let it sit there and rot. Only when it was set afire by street gangs was it put out of its misery. Evidence of the fire can be seen in the last two photos, but the park already looked like this before the fire.

Babe Ruth hit home runs into the streets at this ballpark. The A’s hosted the Yankees here the day Lou Gehrig hit four consecutive home runs. It was also home to the legendary Jimmie Foxx, who hit unbelievably long home runs there. The A's also won five World Series' here. When they finally decided to demolish it, Yankee Stadiums old scoreboard still stood high in right center, the 60-foot Ballantine sign and Longines clock still intact while they played the 1976 All-Star game across town at The Vet.

What they’re doing to Yankee Stadium is an atrocity, and what they did to Shibe Park sickens me, and I don't want to see another stadium go through that kind of disrespect. I know, they're only ballparks, but it still ain't right. But after recalling Shibe Park it helps ease the pain of watching Yankee Stadium being demolished. At least they’re not using it as an automotive junkyard.
      This seems like a dopey question to ask, given the context, but was Shibe an Osborn(e) construction? Visible portions of its skeleton look familiar.
      RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Shibe was built by William Steele & Sons from Philly, who are still around, BTW.

http://www.wmsteeleandsons.com/

Comment

• some of those old ballparks were gems and its truly a shame none were preserved.

A note to our red sox friends-neighbors: keep an eye out for what boston and the sox have planned down the line. if the inevitable New Fenway is not a modern replica of the old, start building coalitions and creating a foundation for preserving a large part of fenway NOW. dont be like us, hoping, begging for gate 2 to be preserved.

Comment

• Are they taking down the big bat?
            HE DROPPED THE BALL! HE DROPPED THE BALL!
            http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5026043

Damon's Double Steal
            http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?c...pic_id=7223232

Comment

• Originally posted by Twenty Seven View Post
              Are they taking down the big bat?
              Unfortunately, no, they are not taking it down.
              sigpic

Comment

• Oh, that's great. Don't consider doing anything for the fans, such as preserving a small section of the wall, i.e., Gate Two. Screw them, let's piss 'em off and leave that stupid bat instead.
                You know, it could be transformed into a Mausoleum for the owners

Comment

• I dunno I liked the Big Bat.

Comment

• Would RYS have survived if NYC got 2012 olympics?

Just browsing in the RYS thread...I saw a pic of the Stadium done up in olympics-type colors. Would the Stadium have survived until 2012 if NYC was awarded the olympics?

Just curious...thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by elpablo302 View Post
                      Just browsing in the RYS thread...I saw a pic of the Stadium done up in olympics-type colors. Would the Stadium have survived until 2012 if NYC was awarded the olympics?

Just curious...thoughts?
                      I would venture a guess at no, since they would probably just use the new stadium...I remember that the olympic bid for 2012 came long before the proposal for the new yankee stadium had been announced...plus the West Side football stadium needed to be built above all else since that's where all the track and field stuff/opening ceremonies would have been held, once that plan was shot down, it did in the 2012 NYC bid among other issues
                      Last edited by Mattingly85MVP; 12-29-2009, 11:21 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Just got nostalgic watching a Seinfeld episode with the stadium...glad that the iconic place is at the very least immortalized on an iconic TV show, among other popular films, etc
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                          Watching Yankee Stadium being picked apart like it is really pisses me off, but there have been others that have been treated like trash. For the first 15 years of my life I lived close enough to this ballpark that it was the only one that I went to. It was built in 1909, and was the first major League ballpark to be built of concrete and steel. It closed its doors in 1970, sat dormant for six years, with the seats still intact, while the outer walls were razed with graffiti, and the field used as a storage for junk cars. They literally let it sit there and rot. Only when it was set afire by street gangs was it put out of its misery. Evidence of the fire can be seen in the last two photos, but the park already looked like this before the fire.

The reason the Phillies left Shibe Park is because the place was a decrepit fire hazard and rat trap. I've talked to folks who saw the place in person...it was literally a house of horrors. Shibe Park went to seed and the Phillies left, not the other way around, but revisionist romantics here never seem to want to believe such a scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
                            The reason the Phillies left Shibe Park is because the place was a decrepit fire hazard and rat trap. I've talked to folks who saw the place in person...it was literally a house of horrors. Shibe Park went to seed and the Phillies left, not the other way around, but revisionist romantics here never seem to want to believe such a scenario.

Yeah, cause everyone knows that old buildings can't ever be repaired. That's why they demolished Fenway and Wrigley decades ago!
                            Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
                              Amen.

ESPN HD is better than radio was.
                              Dodger Stadium is better than Ebbets Field was.
                              Alex Rodriguez is better than Babe Ruth was.

And ordering a hot dog at your seat at new Yankee Stadium is better than missing three innings while standing in line for a hot dog at old Yankee Stadium.

As grand as they may be, ballparks ain't nothing but things to grow out of as progress and opportunity allows... and if you can't dig that, you'd better be living in your childhood home and driving your first car.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
                                Amen.

ESPN HD is better than radio was.
                                Dodger Stadium is better than Ebbets Field was.
                                Alex Rodriguez is better than Babe Ruth was.

And ordering a hot dog at your seat at new Yankee Stadium is better than missing three innings while standing in line for a hot dog at old Yankee Stadium.

As grand as they may be, ballparks ain't nothing but things to grow out of as progress and opportunity allows... and if you can't dig that, you'd better be living in your childhood home and driving your first car.
                                The others I can understand, but not this one. Babe Ruth is still the greatest ballplayer that ever lived. If he played today, with today's ballparks and lowered mound, he might have had over a thousand home runs in his carer!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X