Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
    Actually, Homer says "Doh!". This phrase was used quite a bit by James Finlayson in the old Laurel & Hardy films of the 1930's. This was the same era when Ruth/Gehrig/DiMaggio were playing at Yankee Stadium, and the RF extension was added. I always try to make a Stadium reference in my posts.
    A study has shown that Homer Simpson would have hit 537 HRs in the old Yankee Stadium, 592 in the renovated version and 611 in the new Yankee Stadium.

That is how he earned the name "Homer"
    His real name is Mordecai.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
      Yeah, cause everyone knows that old buildings can't ever be repaired. That's why they demolished Fenway and Wrigley decades ago!
      You need to see a dermatologist for that wild hair that itches and gets you allwhenever you see my screen name.

It's funny how the ones who WEREN'T there have all the firsthand knowlege, yet the ones who WERE....and who say that the place was totally dilapidated and in need of replacement, NOT repair are all somehow talking out the sides of their necks.

This forum is the first place in my life that I've seen males trying to rationalize emotions, and throwing logic out the window, cause it just doesn't make sense to them.

Feelings, woo-o-o feelings,
      Woo-o-o, feel you again in my arms....

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean O View Post
        And Rodriguez has no pitching talent from what we've seen so far in his career.
        You're right. Maybe it would have been better to compare this guy to the Babe.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
          Actually, Homer says "Doh!". This phrase was used quite a bit by James Finlayson in the old Laurel & Hardy films of the 1930's. This was the same era when Ruth/Gehrig/DiMaggio were playing at Yankee Stadium, and the RF extension was added. I always try to make a Stadium reference in my posts.
          I'm probably closest to "legally" deaf on here. So Doh! Dolt! It all sounds same to me.

RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
            Gary, I think you misunderstood what NYFan meant. I think he wants to learn how to do this:

----------------------------------

"I love Yankee Stadium."

[IMAGE]

"The above photo is cool."

[IMAGE]

"The above photo is not cool."

----------------------------------

If that is the case, I think it's just a matter of putting spaces between the image code lines. Quite simple, actually.
            Gary understood precisely what I meant. I wanted to insert text between images, but that can be done only between image URLS - not image uploads from a hard-drive, etc.

Your illustration, however, accurately portrays that.

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
              Gary, I think you misunderstood what NYFan meant.
              Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
              Gary understood precisely what I meant.
              locke40: for questioning my comprehension, you are hereby restricted to your room with nothing to eat except...

X

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                locke40: for questioning my comprehension, you are hereby restricted to your room with nothing to eat except...

That's not a punishment! I'd love a good ole' fashion Fenway barker!
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                  I probably know more about the places where ball is played than about baseball itself, but: What does it mean to "pull" a homer? Is it a force applied to the bat while swinging it and connecting with the ball?
                  It's in the dictionary
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Ross11903 View Post
                    It's in the dictionary
                    Seriously! I've heard it mentioned on the radio, about some batters "pulling" when they hit.

Remember, I come from years of watching a 150mph 43-car rolling billboard where officials are paid to make sure certain drivers either win or at least place in the top 5, so you have to clue me into real sports, like baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                      I bought that book about the 1921 season and it is one of the best documented baseball books that I ever read. I actually bought it for my 83 yr old dad, who actually was too young to recall Ruth as a player. He did grow up listening to all 3 teams on the radio, his only escape from extreme poverty (one time the family radio was repo'd because they did not pay the electric bill). Anyway, he loves the book and thinks everyone baseball fan should read it.

I am glad I had a chance to take him to NYS in 2009 to show him around .(due to health issues I could not take him to RYS in 2008)

BTW, the short 257 fence in RF....it quickly dropped off very deeply and balls hit around the foul pole back then and then landed in the stands were not considered HR's back in the 1920's. They had to land in fair territory.
                      I'd like to see Alex take the mound sometime and match pitches with Walter Johnson...A-Rod's not in the top 10 all-time players, possibly not the top 25 or 50 (depending on how you discount the illegal juice in his veins).
                      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Come to think of it, A-Rod's not even a top-10 Yankee...
                        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Seriously! I've heard it mentioned on the radio, about some batters "pulling" when they hit.

Remember, I come from years of watching a 150mph 43-car rolling billboard where officials are paid to make sure certain drivers either win or at least place in the top 5, so you have to clue me into real sports, like baseball.
                          When a righty-batter pulls the ball (it doesn't have to be only a homerun), he will make contact fairly earlier and send the ball to left field. When a righty-batter hits the ball to the opposite field, he will make contact fairly late and send the ball to rightfield. Conversely, when a lefty-batter pulls the ball, he will send the ball to rightfield; an opposite field hit for a lefty would send the ball to leftfield.
                          sigpic

Comment

To condense it into one sentence, pulling the ball means the hit ball travels toward the side of the plate on which the batter is standing (batting from). ie a righty hits toward left field, and vice versa. When I was a kid it used to help me visualize the direction by imagining hitters pulling the bat toward their chests to indicate the direction of the ball (and maybe that's where the term came from).

On the other hand, you have probably also heard instances where a batter hit to the opposite field or "went the other way", which is the opposite of pulling.

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsean View Post
                              To condense it into one sentence, pulling the ball means the hit ball travels toward the side of the plate on which the batter is standing (batting from). ie a righty hits toward left field, and vice versa. When I was a kid it used to help me visualize the direction by imagining hitters pulling the bat toward their chests to indicate the direction of the ball (and maybe that's where the term came from).

On the other hand, you have probably also heard instances where a batter hit to the opposite field or "went the other way", which is the opposite of pulling.
                              Oops an hour too late on that reply

Comment

• Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
                                The reason the Phillies left Shibe Park is because the place was a decrepit fire hazard and rat trap. I've talked to folks who saw the place in person...it was literally a house of horrors. Shibe Park went to seed and the Phillies left, not the other way around, but revisionist romantics here never seem to want to believe such a scenario.
                                You're talking to someone who saw the place in person now. I sat in those seats many times, and it was falling apart. Like many of the older outdated ballparks, no one wants to put out the money for upkeep, especially Shibe Park that was built to accommodate only 30-33,000 people.
                                My point was how they allowed it to sit dormant for six years, allowing the field to be used as an auto junkyard. It had nothing to do with the Phillies wanting to leave, the place being infested with rats, or it being a fire hazard. It wasn't "literally a house of horrors", it was an old beat to hell ballpark. Anything else that was read into that was probably from some bad stuff.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X