No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To those of you discussing the hitting of Babe Ruth in any era, I would like to gently suggest the following;

Please check into a fantastic book by Bill Jenkinson, titled "The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs" (about his 1921 [sorry Yankeefan90, I need to correct you there] season and what could have been if he played in modern parks with modern rules) and do not make assumptions based upon Ruth's abilities or any advantages or disadvantages he faced from Yankee Stadium, the Polo Grounds or even Fenway, without first educating yourself on the truth of pull-hitting and the Bambino. Just because several players pull their home runs down the line today, does not mean that it was so when Ruth was changing the game.

If you prefer to take things a step further, I would suggest heading over to the History section of this forum and checking out the thread "Would Babe Ruth really have hit 104 home runs?" or something to that effect. There is a very in-depth analysis of the book and the flat out facts it presents in that thread.

If you would like to question pitchers of Ruth's day, you may also find that in the History section. Quite an eye opener to say the least.

I also offer a post I did a while back about the same subject. One that I think I will keep copied for the several instances that this subject so falsely comes up.

Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
    I really get tired of statements like these and I mean no disrespect to you. I just feel that the record must be set straight.

Ruth was NOT a pull hitter. In fact, the bulk of his homers went to right center field where the park was much deeper.

He also had to deal with a bigger strike zone, higher pitcher's mound and pitchers that would throw low and outside, making it very difficult to pull one down the line. His benefit from that 296 foot line was only a few per year...less than five.

So please, take the time to educate yourself on Ruth's home run prowess before making an accusation him being left handed with such a short line.

It also bears mentioning that Ruth hit a fair number of home runs to center and left center in Yankee Stadium...this includes the 1923 season when it was probably more than 500 feet to the center field wall.

Also check out the home run in he hit in Detroit in 1923 sometime, estimated to have gone somewhere between 575 and 600 on the FLY. His abilities were far beyond what many people commonly think they were.

Richard
    I've discussed these things (albeit briefly) in person with Mr. Jenkinson and I am in total agreement with him. Ruth simply is one of the most talented hitters to have ever played the game.

Incidentally, during Ruth's day, it was looked down upon to be called out on strikes, Ruth was one of the first to disregard this. He swung at a lot--some of it bad--and still managed to come within .007 of .400 in 1923 and a lifetime of .342. It amazes me to think of what his batting average could have or would have been if he had played the same type of hitter's game everyone else was doing at the time.

He probably would have broken .400 on several occasions.

Again, I don't mean any disrespect when it comes to posting something like this and I am fully aware that it can very easily be construed as such.

I am simply trying to offer a sliver of light in an area where so many assumptions are made by comparing him to modern players.

He wasn't a modern player.

He wasn't a modern player for his time, either.

He was bigger than the game and a talent that has not been seen on the field since.

Richard

P.S. - We now return to our regularly scheduled program.
    Last edited by RichardLillard1; 12-31-2009, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsean View Post
      Oops an hour too late on that reply
      But thanks 2 all who 'splained it to me!
      RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
        You're talking to someone who saw the place in person now. I sat in those seats many times, and it was falling apart. Like many of the older outdated ballparks, no one wants to put out the money for upkeep, especially Shibe Park that was built to accommodate only 30-33,000 people.
        My point was how they allowed it to sit dormant for six years, allowing the field to be used as an auto junkyard. It had nothing to do with the Phillies wanting to leave, the place being infested with rats, or it being a fire hazard. It wasn't "literally a house of horrors", it was an old beat to hell ballpark. Anything else that was read into that was probably from some bad stuff.
        It's a shame not just because of how they treated it after closure, but that they didn't save a lick of it. Shibe had such a beaufitul exterior - probably heresy on this forum but I found the original section of the facade much more attractive than that of any other old park, even OYS (which from the outside began to show it's age much sooner IMHO)
        Last edited by giantsean; 12-31-2009, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Remote Control Plane

I've been away and haven't caught up with this demolition thread. But there's always a lack of photos as opposed to the Shea Demo thread. Now there's some real good reasons for this. Access,speed of demolition,and the inability to get a constuction or security person to take photos. Well,I have an idea. Even with all the good photos of the Shea demo we still had in addition,this guy: YouTube's "Softee64". Get him on board and I'm willing to bet at least one run from a nearby lot can be arranged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJaPoIyZMY

Comment

• Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
            I've been away and haven't caught up with this demolition thread. But there's always a lack of photos as opposed to the Shea Demo thread. Now there's some real good reasons for this. Access,speed of demolition,and the inability to get a constuction or security person to take photos. Well,I have an idea. Even with all the good photos of the Shea demo we still had in addition,this guy: YouTube's "Softee64". Get him on board and I'm willing to bet at least one run from a nearby lot can be arranged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJaPoIyZMY
            Flying RC planes in the boroughs of Manhattan and the Bronx is illegal...ive already inquired about it.
            www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Well I can understand Manhattan. But why did the Bronx get factored in as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                To those of you discussing the hitting of Babe Ruth in any era, I would like to gently suggest the following;

Please check into a fantastic book by Bill Jenkinson, titled "The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs" (about his 1921 [sorry Yankeefan90, I need to correct you there] season and what could have been if he played in modern parks with modern rules) and do not make assumptions based upon Ruth's abilities or any advantages or disadvantages he faced from Yankee Stadium, the Polo Grounds or even Fenway, without first educating yourself on the truth of pull-hitting and the Bambino. Just because several players pull their home runs down the line today, does not mean that it was so when Ruth was changing the game.
                You've got to wonder if players like Ruth and Mantle played in today's game, would they even be All Stars? Or would they even make it to the majors? As you know, Babe Ruth wasn't exactly a fitness fanatic. He'd stay out all night drinking. Would have a six pack and 3 steaks for dinner. 10 hot dogs for lunch. Mantle frequently came to the park hung over with no sleep.

Today's players spend their lives committed to fitness. The players today are more fit than at any other point in history.

I'm not sure that many of the early records would have been approached in today's game. It's not likely they would have had the same careers. They would have faced different pitching, different kinds of people, different expectations from managers and a different knowledge of health and fitness. I can see other players like Dimaggio, Ted Williams, Ty Cobb and Willie Mays (and a few others) who could have made it on the same level. But I can't believe Ruth would even compete in today's game.

It's impossible to really say for sure.
                Last edited by doctor_gogol; 01-01-2010, 08:40 AM.
                Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                  Flying RC planes in the boroughs of Manhattan and the Bronx is illegal...ive already inquired about it.
                  I don't think that true there is a rc clubs in the bronxs and i have seen rc planes in central park!

Comment

• Originally posted by RICHIECOQUI View Post
                    I don't think that true there is a rc clubs in the bronxs and i have seen rc planes in central park!
                    Sure, there are legally designated areas for insured, registered clubs. And im also sure that any reputable flight club would frown upon taking a plane into a highly congested residential area such as the likes of the Yankee Stadiums.

From what i heard (from an NYCPD detective) is that you cannot take a RC plane to the soccer field next to yankee stadium and launch it. If you are caught you get your gear confiscated and if you give an attitude you might end up in the city lockup.

Helicopters and low flying planes are all over the area at all hours. Its unsafe. And in my opinion the guy who made those videos over shea isnt very smart. All you need is that LiPo battery getting caught up in the engine of a 747 coming into LaGuardia and you have a big problem on your hands.

I know all this because im a very amateur RC enthusiast. Heres a video i made with my cell phone attached to the fuselage...(warning...not for the sea sick...lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ftvTn8mIKQ
                    www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Ruth and Mantle most certainly would have made it to the majors in this day and age. Not all players are bastions of fitness, David Wells, John Kruk, Tony Gwynn, Cecil Fielder, Prince Fielder, to just name a few.

In fact in this day and age, Mantle may have had an even more prolfic career, given the modern surgical techniques that could have repaired his knees better, the DH, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by sabbathunter View Post
                        Ruth and Mantle most certainly would have made it to the majors in this day and age. Not all players are bastions of fitness, David Wells, John Kruk, Tony Gwynn, Cecil Fielder, Prince Fielder, to just name a few.

In fact in this day and age, Mantle may have had an even more prolfic career, given the modern surgical techniques that could have repaired his knees better, the DH, etc.
                        Mantle would of never hurt his knee in today's game... the drain pipe cover he tripped would never of been there.

Comment

• Mickey Mantle was built like an ox in an era when just about all the guys were either skinny or out shape. If he played today he'd belt over 60 homers a year. Anybody remember how Mickey did as a broadcaster for Sportschannel?

Comment

• A few friends and I stopped by the stadium last night (I guess this morning, it was about 5 AM) and took a lap around the stadium.

I never got to see a game here (I HAVE been to NYS, though), and that really frustrates me, but it's just amazing being at Yankee Stadium, and looking at the architecture, thinking of the history behind it. Seeing the seating torn out was pretty damn heart breaking, and also pretty unbelievable.

It was nice to get the opportunity to get a good look before she's gone.
                            Ya Gotta Believe!

Yes, I'm a Flyers and Eagles fan, too.

Comment

• Ruth and Mantle not making it in today's game? Are you kidding?? They're two of the greatest talents ever to play! Of course they would be All-Stars. The stories of gluttony and drunkenness have become legendary--and exaggerated--over the years. Neither of them would have accomplished what they did if they were completely out of shape or hung over every day.
                              Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• I have to wonder if they would make it.

Read Mickey Mantle's autobiography. He was a pretty serious partier. Mick himself tells many stories about going to the park plastered or hungover with no sleep.

And remember these guys played other people who's main preoccupation wasn't fitness.

I maintain that these outrageous records of the first part of the 20th century weren't because players were better. It was because there were a few seriously dedicated athletes playing against people who weren't the same caliber.
                                Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X