No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickly, I'll state Bill Jenkinson's findings on Babe Ruth.

1-Babe was the greatest power hitter of all-time.

2-His power was, unbelievably slightly LEFT of dead center where all the parks in baseball at the time were very deep.

3-He lost some HR to the rule of a ball landing foul even after passing the foul pole fair being called foul. He got a couple "cheapies" though.

4-Whenever and wherever Babe played against the Black ballplayers he did very well. The idea of it being an "Exhibition" was refuted in the book. Many of the black ballplayers played very hard against Babe.

5-No night games.

6-No Air Conditioning in the hotels. Players slept outside sometimes in local parks to "cool" off.

7-No conditioning programs. Babe was actually told NOT to run and "Waste" his legs during the season towards the end of his career.

8-Travel by trains. Again, NO AC!!!!!!

9-Off days? NOT. The Yankees scheduled up to about 15 exhibition games a season -that all the players HAD TO PLAY IN- between real games.

10-A weekend series in Boston? Boston had blue laws. No games allowed on Sunday. Day off? No, the yankees traveled to say Washington DC to get a game in on Sunday then trained back to Boston for a game on Monday.

11-He batted against the same pitcher four times a game? No relievers? How about facing Lefty Grove at the end of a game against the Philadelphia A's. Grove was a releiver whenever Babe came up at the end of a game.

12-Babe swung a 50 ounce bat, he didn't understand bat speed. One time he used a smaller bat and hit a rocket. He called the bat a toothpick and threw it aside.

Here's a passage from Jenkinson's book regarding bats (I believe, I copied it from the History threads so I"m not sure).

I once saw Jose Canseco take a few swings in batting practice with an old bat that someone handed him. He disgustedly threw it down, and said: "I don't know how those old guys hit with those things!" Ruth played in a time when it was considered proper, even manly, to use a heavy bat. He, too, intuitively understood that he could do better by progressively dropping down in weight. But he started at such an extreme that he never really adjusted enough to maximize his ability. Putting it simply, Babe never used the right tools. What he might have done with more efficient equipment, we can only guess.

However, we do know about one specific event that is very revealing. Entering the game in St. Louis on May 25, 1921, Ruth was unhappy about his recent 2 for 22 slump. He impulsively grabbed teammate Aaron Ward's 32-ounce bat, while discarding his regular 54-ounce war club. So, what happened? Babe lined a double to right center, launched a 460-foot fly out to the center field fence and then blasted an epic 535-foot home run into the center field bleachers. Those results pleased Ruth, but they also confused him. Afterward, he mockingly referred to Ward's bat as a "toothpick" and wondered how far his homer would have flown if he had used his normal tree trunk. My belief is that the ball would not have traveled as far. Babe was so saddled with the contemporary bias about sluggers using heavy bats that he had a hard time getting past it. He went right back to his 54-ouncer.

13-The equipment is better now, especially the gloves, so the defense is better now, which helps the Babe, as opposed to hurting him.

14-Babe was around 6 foot and 195 pounds when he broke in. He was an imposing figure for his time.

15-The Strike zone was much, much larger, which hurt him as a hitter but definitely helped his pitching.

16-Higher mounds, which again, hurt his hitting but helped his pitching.

The book is very good. It is well worth reading.
    "The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs: Recrowning Baseball's Greatest Slugger" by Bill Jenkinson

Also, one last thing you have to remember when talking about the Babe. He was a dominant left handed pitcher and after five or six years gave up pitching (89-46, 2.19 ERA) to become one, if not the best hitter of all-time. Think about Andy Pettitte after the 2000 season (100-55, 3.99 ERA) saying, "You know what, I want to play right field from now on". Then hitting 665 home runs to finish out his career. NOT POSSIBLE. That's what the Babe did though.

I posted the spray charts of Babe for 1915-1921 in the History of the Game section. The thread is Would Babe Have Hit 104 Home Runs? post number 418. You may want to read post 417 also.
    Last edited by cgcoyne2; 01-03-2010, 10:18 PM.
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankee1965 View Post
      Here Ya Go Locke40. I tried to photoshop the pile driver out of the pic as well. I was...ok at best. Good luck. If you would please repost the photoshopped pic.

BTW, The original pic is about 3mb. I had to reduce it to 1MB to fit the attachment limit.

Thanks!
      Did this quick in paint...
      Attached Files

Comment

• Hey gang, can we please move the Babe Ruth discussion to another thread? Whether the "Babe" would have flourished as well in today's game as he did in his era is a worthy topic of discussion, but not in a thread devoted to the demolition of Yankee Stadium.
        X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
          Hey gang, can we please move the Babe Ruth discussion to another thread? Whether the "Babe" would have flourished as well in today's game as he did in his era is a worthy topic of discussion, but not in a thread devoted to the demolition of Yankee Stadium.
          Thanks for the new images gary.
          www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Smails View Post
            Did this quick in paint...
            Nice work Judge Smails! Thanks. I have my talents....photoshop, however, isn't one of them!!

Comment

• Wow, nice work Judge! Here is my attempt in photoshop. I see that the Judge had a different take on the lowest half of the pile driver/black gate. Also, I removed the white car at the bottom of the picture, it was bothering me.

Yankee Stadium - Revised.jpg
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                Wow, nice work Judge! Here is my attempt in photoshop. I see that the Judge had a different take on the lowest half of the pile driver/black gate. Also, I removed the white car at the bottom of the picture, it was bothering me.

[ATTACH]79960[/ATTACH]
                equally nice work Locke40!

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankee1965 View Post
                  equally nice work Locke40!
                  Great job Locke40! We should see what else we can take out of that picture...

Comment

• new pics

Don't know if everyone here has seen these cameraphone pics from Newsday's Jim Baumbach - mid-December, inside the stadium.

http://twitpic.com/photos/jimbaumbach
                    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• I've heard that Newsday was not authorized to publish the photos that it ran in the paper and they may be in some legal trouble.
                      Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                        I've heard that Newsday was not authorized to publish the photos that it ran in the paper and they may be in some legal trouble.
                        If the photos were taken by an employee of the paper, I don't know what the big stink is. If the images were from another source - and not credited accordingly(CBS radio, JoeDOYS, etc), then I could see a problem arising.

OTOH, we're talking about something that in less than 12 months won't (mostly) even be there, so I don't understand all this legal handwringing. Seriously! h
                        RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Legal trouble...? This makes me laugh. Is the demolition a work of art that is being copyright violated? Or does someone plan on putting out a book after the stadium is gone so they can make a buck?

Makes me want to sneak into the stadium and pretend I'm Gary Dunaier for an hour...photographing EVERYTHING. Then posting it on a proxy overseas server under an assumed name from a blocked IP address. For the whole world to see. The last picture in the set, specifically for the legal eagles, would be this.....

Last edited by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock; 01-05-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Smails View Post
                            Great job Locke40! We should see what else we can take out of that picture...

I tried shopping out the other cars, but it just didn't look good at all lol. I want to see that lightpost out of there. I'll post it here when I get around to it. It's actually kind of relaxing.
                            Last edited by locke40; 01-06-2010, 05:55 AM. Reason: RYS
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                              OTOH, we're talking about something that in less than 12 months won't (mostly) even be there, so I don't understand all this legal handwringing. Seriously! h
                              You have no idea what some people will have major cow about. No idea.

I speak from experience.
                              X
                              What's THAT guy doing?
                              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post

I tried shopping out the other cars, but it just didn't look good at all lol. I want to see that lightpost out of there. I'll post it here when I get around to it. It's actually kind of relaxing.
                                You should photoshop IN some Model T's. Looks very much like that angle from the famous 1923 opening day shot.
                                Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X