Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    Still, because of that counterweight/tension cable principle, the simple - and logical, at least to a Vulcan - solution would be to replace at least some of the column locations with jackposts. then, they could just demo the old upper deck top > down.
    Probably not some...more likely all of the column locations will have to be put back in. Can they really afford the guesswork once they start cutting into this monstrosity?

How exactly would they go about demoing the concrete from the top down? Are there machines that could reach the top of yankee stadium to crush concrete?

Im really interested in how theyre going to go about this without killing anyone.
    www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• [QUOTE=JoeDOYS;1678480]Probably not some...more likely all of the column locations will have to be put back in. Can they really afford the guesswork once they start cutting into this monstrosity?

How exactly would they go about demoing the concrete from the top down? Are there machines that could reach the top of yankee stadium to crush concrete?

Im really interested in how theyre going to go about this without killing anyone.[/QUOTE]

At the pace they are going, Joey, the building might just fall down from gravity & WELL after WE'RE all GONE!
      Attached Files
      ------------------------------------------
      www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
      www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
      www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
        Probably not some...more likely all of the column locations will have to be put back in. Can they really afford the guesswork once they start cutting into this monstrosity?

Im really interested in how theyre going to go about this without killing anyone.
        Well, let's take a look at the weights involved. The blue column in my illustration below was added in 1974 to act as the balancing point for the new cantilevered decks. The blue stringers(and seating sections) to the right actually weigh as much as everything to the left of that blue column.

Would it be as simple as demoing it from the far left & far right, until they met at that column? Probably not. The exact behavior/balancing of that upper grandstand would be difficult, at best, to predict. This is simply an unknown that will remain more unknown than some unknowns that are known.

Also, demoing the cantilever first would result in the section to the right of the blue column becoming too heavy and tilting out onto Ruppert Place, 157th street, and who knows where else it might land!

Placing temporary columns(red) as I suggest below would allow a more conventional top-down dismantling to take place. Gotta love my "Pre-demolition construction" phrase - a Rumsfeldism if there ever was. The awning & light array - compared to how I rendered them below - are actually scantling compared to that massive stringer and back wall and probably didn't figure into the weight calculations, pre-construction.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 01-16-2010, 08:20 AM.
        RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
          Well, let's take a look at the weights involved. The blue column in my illustration below was added in 1974 to act as the balancing point for the new cantilevered decks. The blue stringers(and seating sections) to the right actually weigh as much as everything to the left of that blue column.

Would it be as simple as demoing it from the far left & far right, until they met at that column? Probably not. The exact behavior/balancing of that upper grandstand would be difficult, at best, to predict.

Also, demoing the cantilever first would result in the section to the right of the blue column becoming too heavy and tilting out onto Ruppert Place, 157th street, and who knows where else it might land!

Placing temporary columns(red) as I suggest below would allow a more conventional top-down dismantling to take place. Gotta love my "Pre-demolition construction" phrase - a Rumsfeldism if there ever was. The awning & light array - compared to how I rendered them below - are actually scantling compared to that massive stringer and back wall and probably didn't figure into the weight calculations, pre-construction.

When in doubt, hire this guy to get the job done ......................

Attached Files
          www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• I posted awhile back that Steiner is done at the site. They took what they could before demo started, and they're done. Whatever is left belongs to either NYC or more likely Turner. As for the UD, I believe that the concrete will be broken up first to release the tension, then the steel will come down. Mattingly, that stained glass came from the Stadium Club, correct? How were you lucky enough to snag that?
            Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
              I posted awhile back that Steiner is done at the site. They took what they could before demo started, and they're done. Whatever is left belongs to either NYC or more likely Turner. As for the UD, I believe that the concrete will be broken up first to release the tension, then the steel will come down. Mattingly, that stained glass came from the Stadium Club, correct? How were you lucky enough to snag that?
              im pretty sure the stained glass was on the steiner auction

Comment

• Correct, steiner had their second Yankee Stadium auction last month which included other stained glass pieces from the Sony Stadium club (which are actually made of plexiglass) and player lockers, and a lot of other cool items. Only one of the lockers hit its reserve price, so maybe they'll auction off the rest again but at a lower reserve, would love to get one of those

Here's some pics of the stained glass while in use

top left photo courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanprose/2876785889/
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

• Stained glass in the big window openings of the Great Hall would look 100% better. I'm surprised they haven't thought of it yet.

I wonder if the Gate 2 preservation slowed things down. That's wishful thinking of course.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                    Stained glass in the big window openings of the Great Hall would look 100% better. I'm surprised they haven't thought of it yet.

I wonder if the Gate 2 preservation slowed things down. That's wishful thinking of course.
                    I totally agree. i think it would look amazing in the sunlight. granted, you somewhat loose that open air, i think the great can become that much more majestic with the colors.

Comment

• Originally posted by yankies4life View Post
                      I totally agree. i think it would look amazing in the sunlight. granted, you somewhat loose that open air, i think the great can become that much more majestic with the colors.
                      that would be awesome to see...would be cool to see if they depicted great Yankee moments w/ player images, wishful thinking
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly85MVP View Post
                        that would be awesome to see...would be cool to see if they depicted great Yankee moments w/ player images, wishful thinking
                        It's possible that could happen in the future. I'm sure over the next few years we will see changes here, additions there, at NYS. Stained glass in the Great Hall would be an excellent idea.

Comment

• 1/15

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                            Stained glass in the big window openings of the Great Hall would look 100% better. I'm surprised they haven't thought of it yet.

Absolutely agreed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach Bombay View Post
                              1/15

Wow. This almost reminds me of NYS before they put the seats in and lay down the grass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
                                Wow. This almost reminds me of NYS before they put the seats in and lay down the grass.

"The Circle Of Life" for a baseball stadium, Rob.

www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X