No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh oh, the great Bengie Molina who had to have a 3 year contract in order for him to sign with the Mets, signs for one year with the Giants.

That Flushing-based Long Island team that plays somewhere between billboard advertisements (if you look hard enough, you'll find the field) is further humiliated a couple of days after Beltran. Can it get any worse for this team and their sorry excuse for ownership and management?

Ready yourselves for some harsh demolition posts going for the raw nerve, my unsuspecting Yankee brothers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
      Uh oh, the great Bengie Molina who had to have a 3 year contract in order for him to sign with the Mets, signs for one year with the Giants.

That Flushing-based Long Island team that plays somewhere between billboard advertisements (if you look hard enough, you'll find the field) is further humiliated a couple of days after Beltran. Can it get any worse for this team and their sorry excuse for ownership and management?

Ready yourselves for some harsh demolition posts going for the raw nerve, my unsuspecting Yankee brothers.
      I don't think he had a 3 year deal with the Mets, it's been reported they offered him 1 year/$5 million, appears he decided he would rather not move across country for only $500K more. Blessing in disguise for the Mets, Molina is awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach Bombay View Post
        I don't think he had a 3 year deal with the Mets, it's been reported they offered him 1 year/$5 million, appears he decided he would rather not move across country for only $500K more. Blessing in disguise for the Mets, Molina is awful.
        I believe the Mets got it up to two years, but he wanted a third. I don't think Molina is worth it either, but he's the man the Mets targeted and lost. Nothing goes right for this inept team.

As an aside, now Gammons is reporting that the Mets didn't have insurance on Beltran. The Mets would be hilarious if they weren't so pathetic.
        Last edited by Rob R; 01-19-2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

As an aside, now Gammons is reporting that the Mets didn't have insurance on Beltran. The Mets would be hilarious if they weren't so pathetic.
          Unlike all those other 7 year contracts that insurance companies have readily agreed to cover? You can't get insurance on contracts over 3 years for pitchers, while I'm sure it's stricter for pitchers, I'm pretty sure no insurance company in their right mind is insuring a 7 year contract anyway so I think it's just the typical media making something out of nothing.

Comment

• To pull this thread back from the rather strangely Met-obsessed hangers on, here's a great pic from August, 1922 - when Ruth and the Yankees were still playing across the river at the Polo Grounds.

I wonder how much of this original steel structure - last seen in the mid-70s - we'll get to see in the dismantling, for the final time?

Here's another - will they pull off all the cladding and concrete flooring to expose the steel - when they took down Shea there were times you could glimpse the skeleton in places:

Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

For those who didn't see my masterpiece in the Wrigley Thread:

IN THE YEAR 3000.....
              "Obviously, no one wants to fail. But who's to say that failure's not a good thing masked in the wisdom that you can't see at that point? I just try to look at the positive." - Khalil Greene

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post

To pull this thread back from the rather strangely Met-obsessed hangers on, here's a great pic from August, 1922 - when Ruth and the Yankees were still playing across the river at the Polo Grounds.

I wonder how much of this original steel structure - last seen in the mid-70s - we'll get to see in the dismantling, for the final time?

Here's another - will they pull off all the cladding and concrete flooring to expose the steel - when they took down Shea there were times you could glimpse the skeleton in places:

Well the roof steel is all gone, as is the bleacher steel and poles. But other than that, the rest of the steel should be there.

The rest of the demolition will be interesting, for sure.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
                  To quote Johnny Hooker from The Sting, "If we ever get to it."

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
                    Well the roof steel is all gone, as is the bleacher steel and poles. But other than that, the rest of the steel should be there.

Some of this steel is shown HERE

www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                      Some of this steel is shown HERE
                      Well technically... none of THAT steel (that's the RF extension) :P But now is not the time to quibble. I wish we could see more. It really ticked me off to see that the whole loge/mezz got pulled down without giving us even a glimpse of the original facing (white would be fine, though green was the holy grail, no doubt). I'd pay real money for a cross-section.

Comment

• Looking at the pic shows that that is one of the most aggressive cantilevers of all time!

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ Starion View Post

IN THE YEAR 3000.....
                          O'Brian looks more sinister in that photo than does Ricardo Mantalban in Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan! :applaud: :applaud:
                          RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsean View Post
                            Well technically... none of THAT steel (that's the RF extension) :P But now is not the time to quibble. I wish we could see more. It really ticked me off to see that the whole loge/mezz got pulled down without giving us even a glimpse of the original facing (white would be fine, though green was the holy grail, no doubt). I'd pay real money for a cross-section.
                            I would like to see that white panel removed from the side of the grandstand so we can see the old upper deck concourse.
                            No one can make you
                            Do what they want to
                            You know you're stronger
                            Than the lies
                            That they tell you

Comment

Uh oh, the great Bengie Molina who had to have a 3 year contract in order for him to sign with the Mets, signs for one year with the Giants.

is the unsuspecting Yankee brother Jose Molina? I thought he was a free agent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
                                Yes the Giants did play home games at Shea. I believe it was 1975, 1976, or maybe both. Someone else I'm sure here can confirm the year(s).
                                How did they schedule Sundays at Shea in 1975 when both teams had to to play 7 of their home games in 3 just months?

They must have given each team a couple of MNFs.

You can answer in the Shea Photos thread.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X