Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Since I know nothing about the architecture and some of you seem to...a question. Are the cables pointed to below holding the upper deck in place? Does the UD collapse inward if they're taken out? I know a lot of the original structural steel remains in place lower down, but is there so much weight above that it would rotate, or would they have to do some cutting of that steel beforehand?
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
      Since I know nothing about the architecture and some of you seem to...a question. Are the cables pointed to below holding the upper deck in place? Does the UD collapse inward if they're taken out? I know a lot of the original structural steel remains in place lower down, but is there so much weight above that it would rotate, or would they have to do some cutting of that steel beforehand?
      Examine Below:

      Anything "blue" is stuff added/modified in the 1970s. The Additonal rows blance the old deck left of that new blue column. The cables running diagonally downward attach to a box-beam counterweight ring running around the full perimter of the new roof of the upper concourse. That combo serves to keep the upper deck from tipping forward under occupied/live loads. Original columns(to the left) in this photo no longer existed after 1975.

      If you cut *some cables* it will still stand up, albeit precariously so.

      Here, I posted the completed job for a good look at it complete.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 01-23-2010, 02:32 PM. Reason: Please Note: Spelling Errors No Longer Subject To Correction From This Poster - I Give up!
      RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

      NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

      RYS: "No, I am your father..."

      NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

      RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
        Eerie . . Authorities said the same thing 8 1/2 years ago at the other end of Manhattan. "Don't look down", "Move along", "Don't turn around as you walk away"...
        Really? :disbelief:
        Last edited by JohnCropp; 01-23-2010, 04:56 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by baseballman1243 View Post
          Construction workers are cool, deconstruction workers are not.
          The many fan photos in the Shea demo thread, through the final 5 months of Shea's existence would beg to differ!
          NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
          Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
          Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
            The many fan photos in the Shea demo thread, through the final 5 months of Shea's existence would beg to differ!
            because as us yankees fans know mets demo workers are the best and cool

            Comment


            • in fact I believe in the end the mets will have done a better job of what they preserved of shea and the history carried over to citi than anything the yankees will ever consider

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
                because as us yankees fans know mets demo workers are the best and cool
                Well, I don't know about THAT?!

                I CAN tell you that I witnessed first hand the Breeze guys (the company who took down Shea Stadium) give away stray plastic seat parts and stray bricks to Mets fans who were there at the site. It didn't happen all the time, but it did happen. How long do think it would take for an employee from Turner to stop laughing if you walked up to one of their 'compound gates' & asked one of them for something from inside the former "House That Ruth Built"?!

                When the final Shea Stadium ramp section was felled last February 18th, the Breeze guys spray painted this note on it for the Mets fans. I thought THAT was pretty cool of them. Unfortunately, it didn't help the Mets very much in 2009, but the thought was there!

                I may be wrong, but my GUT feeling is that we won't see a similar gesture made by the Turner guys.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by RichieA13; 01-23-2010, 06:45 PM.
                ------------------------------------------
                www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

                ------------------------------------------

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
                  [B]Well, I don't know about THAT?!

                  I CAN tell you that I witnessed first hand the Breeze guys (the company who took down Shea Stadium) give away stray plastic seat parts and stray bricks to Mets fans who were there at the site. It didn't happen all the time, but it did happen. How long do think it would take for an employee from Turner to stop laughing if you walked up to one of their 'compound gates' & asked one of them for something from inside the former "House That Ruth Built"?!
                  Actually when I was at the Yankee Stadium site last year, I was given a cup holder from the old stadium's championship seats just by talking to a few of the workers- granted it was nothing big, but chances are Steiner would have sold that for $200.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
                    Well, I don't know about THAT?!

                    I CAN tell you that I witnessed first hand the Breeze guys (the company who took down Shea Stadium) give away stray plastic seat parts and stray bricks to Mets fans who were there at the site. It didn't happen all the time, but it did happen. How long do think it would take for an employee from Turner to stop laughing if you walked up to one of their 'compound gates' & asked one of them for something from inside the former "House That Ruth Built"?!

                    When the final Shea Stadium ramp section was felled last February 18th, the Breeze guys spray painted this note on it for the Mets fans. I thought THAT was pretty cool of them. Unfortunately, it didn't help the Mets very much in 2009, but the thought was there!

                    I may be wrong, but my GUT feeling is that we won't see a similar gesture made by the Turner guys.
                    yea cant make this up- yes of course the yankees hired a different breed of demo worker-ahhhh

                    Comment


                    • On a totally unrelated note, Citi doesn't look half-bad (in the above photo) without those tacky billboard ads plastered in, out and all around the entire ballpark. You almost forget that there's brick and steel behind those ads.
                      Last edited by Rob R; 01-24-2010, 05:02 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
                        as long as you do "thats" all that matters
                        look "mastermind", the stadium is where my parents met when they worked in the front office, so that place coming down is a part of my family history. but they would both say - move on!
                        what i wrote was not as a partisan mets follower but as someone who sees the reality of the situation that the politicians and nyy franchise don't care unless they get something out of it (votes or $$$$"s).
                        the turd in the punchbowl
                        reality really sucks.
                        enjoy the game more...

                        Comment


                        • leave the mets out of the YANKEE STADIUM demolition thread. They are a garbage organization who shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath as the Yankees.
                          www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                            leave the mets out of the YANKEE STADIUM demolition thread. They are a garbage organization who shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath as the Yankees.
                            I, like you, am a Yankee fan. But I draw the line at the above.

                            Uncalled for. And unsportsmanlike.

                            Back to the YS urinal fire sale, folks!
                            RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

                            NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

                            RYS: "No, I am your father..."

                            NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

                            RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                              leave the mets out of the YANKEE STADIUM demolition thread. They are a garbage organization who shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath as the Yankees.
                              Garbage organization, huh?

                              Your insults are as well thought out as the content on your website.

                              Messageboard screenshots? C'mon, now.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by YanksRule View Post
                                Actually when I was at the Yankee Stadium site last year, I was given a cup holder from the old stadium's championship seats just by talking to a few of the workers- granted it was nothing big, but chances are Steiner would have sold that for $200.

                                Really?!
                                That was very cool of whomever gave you the cup holder then.
                                NICE job, Turner!
                                Last edited by RichieA13; 01-24-2010, 09:50 AM.
                                ------------------------------------------
                                www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                                www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                                www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

                                ------------------------------------------

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X