Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
    How about giving the land back that you took away from your "neighbors"?
    Please Mr Met explain to me how including Gate 2 impedes on the proposed parkland slated for the Bronx Community?

I purposely proposed keeping the Gate as a grand entranceway to the new park because of it's location bordering 161st and it's vicinity to the new Stadium...All the while knowing the sensitive issue regarding the Cities legal responsiblity to replace parkland. I have seen the proposed plans for the site. The plans have an extension of the sidewalk leading to a staircase where Gate 2 presently stands. It does not impede on any parkland and will only serve to enhance the beauty and design of the new park while preserving a tangible piece of Americana for future generations to enjoy!

The real crime was the when the Yankees seized Macombs Dam Park illegally and behind the backs of the Bronx Community before they had a chance to challenge the states land grab orchestrated by Randy Levine.

And lets not forget there was nothing but subway tracks bordering a dumping ground owned by the Waldorfs that became the site of Yankee Stadium. The surrounding Bronx Community was a direct result of the building of Yankee Stadium.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• The renderings look amazing guys. Seeing this proposal gives me hope that there is a solution that would make pretty much anybody with a heart happy. You can definitely count me in for a brick.

Comment

Last edited by Rob R; 01-27-2010, 12:17 AM.

Comment

How about giving the land back that you took away from your "neighbors"?
          Just because your stadium got knocked down and paved over without a trace dont be jealous...again, this all goes back to my crappy mets organization comment.

Seriously, the bases they put in the pavement arent even where the bases actually stood.

Fail.
          www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
            Seriously, the bases they put in the pavement arent even where the bases actually stood.
            Sorry Joe, but I have to call you out on this one.

There was extensive discussion on the accuracy of the markers in the Shea Stadium Demolition thread, and the general consensus was that the markers do, indeed, accurately represent the actual locations of the bases and pitcher's plate. My post from 5/10/09 and islandextreme26's post from 5/22/09 pretty much closed the case on that issue.

If you have any solid evidence to the contrary, please share it in the Shea Stadium Demolition thread.
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
              $10 million from bricks? how much are they going for $10,000 a piece?

time to move on...
              On the contrary I think they would get a ton of fan support/interest, especially if the Yankees get on board and advertise it on YES and at NYS during the season. Also, you can line the entire footprint of the old stadium with the pavers for x amount, and for the area in front of gate 2, make it a little bit more $ since its prime real estate. Bet they could get a million+ fans if the Yankees joined the movement
              sigpic

Comment

• Heck, I'd probably buy a brick... I've got two at Citi Field!
                X
                What's THAT guy doing?
                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Well, those are two completely different things. A waste of space (Gate 2, heritage park) vs. something that will drive people away. The city gave the Willets Pt. people time to bring their places up to par for the past 2 decades, and they sit stubborn with a huge black eye for the city. I don't agree with forcing business away from people, but it needs to be done to further develop the area. It has been done in Washington, Baltimore, etc.
                  Willet's Point isn't driving people away. The actual team and the incompetence of the organization is driving people away.
                  sigpic

Comment

The city gave the Willets Pt. people time to bring their places up to par for the past 2 decades, and they sit stubborn with a huge black eye for the city. I don't agree with forcing business away from people, but it needs to be done to further develop the area. It has been done in Washington, Baltimore, etc.
                    willets point iron triangle area is not a "black eye", every city needs areas like that for industrial/automotive needs - such as hunts point etc. most mets fans didn't care about this place because it was not right next to shea and now because it's right next door it's a blight?

those businesses have been paying nyc taxes without the benefits that other city based outfits expect - paved roads and sewer services etc..
                    starting with robert moses in the 60's, politicians and their appointed bureaucrats have been trying to get that land without success. remember mario cuomo (who defended the triangle occupants as a young lawyer) trying to land grab for the jets stadium in the 80's?

the washington, st. louis and san diego mallpark neighborhood "development" schemes have stalled or failed because of the retail recession (over expanded brands scaling back) and bad locations for non baseball visitors. after all, businesses in those places can't be open just 81 times in a year.
                    the inner harbor works because it is adjacent to the downtown baltimore area and the others (including willets point) are not.

to add to all that, these mallparks are filled with retail/restaurants that syphon off business from neighborhoods, case in point - the new yankee stadium.
                    Last edited by Paul W; 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM.
                    the turd in the punchbowl
                    reality really sucks.
                    enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                      the washington, st. louis and san diego mallpark neighborhood "development" schemes have stalled or failed because of the retail recession (over expanded brands scaling back) and bad locations for non baseball visitors. after all, businesses in those places can't be open just 81 times in a year. the inner harbor works because it is adjacent to the downtown baltimore area and the others (including willets point) are not.
                      I cannot speak for St Louis nor Washington DC, but the GasLamp District in San Diego has stuff going on all year, especially with the Convention Center right across Harbor Drive. It's busy on game days.

Granted, the recent economic downturn has hurt some businesses, but compared to the pre-PetCo days, the 'Lamp' is thriving.

Cheers!
                      -Doug
                      20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimn/4286158897/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimn/4286150973/
                        I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                        - Walt Whitman

Comment

• oh my..........
                          www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• WOW. Amazing find.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Great pics, about time we got to see something happening inside
                              sigpic

Comment

• Where about is that? Left field Gate 2 area?

It seems they marked off the whole right section with "STAY" in red.
                                Last edited by cringey; 01-27-2010, 01:10 PM. Reason: mistake on side.
                                ------------
                                I have been to:

Citi Field, Shea, NYS, RYS, PNC, Fenway, AT&T, CBP, Rangers Ballpark, Minute Maid Park, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, PETCO Park, Coors, Chase Field, Turner, Miami, [email protected], U.S.F., Comerica, Nationals Park, GABP, Progressive, Trop, Miller, Oakland-A C., Dolphin, RFK, Olympic Stadium, Metrodome

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X