No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They started to take down the outside of the stadium this morning. My nephew works for the Yankees and just sent me a pic from his cell phone. Super depressing!

Comment

• Originally posted by PepperGamesAllowed View Post
      They started to take down the outside of the stadium this morning. My nephew works for the Yankees and just sent me a pic from his cell phone. Super depressing!
      I'm sure we will get others who will see it and take pictures but if you could post yours that would be great...

Comment

• I'm sure it is the escalator tower that is coming down. It was scheduled for last week but was delayed til this week.
        Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
          I'm sure it is the escalator tower that is coming down. It was scheduled for last week but was delayed til this week.
          What do you know about the demolition schedule?

Please share so that we don't have to speculate about what we're seeing and what they're doing!

Comment

• We need to sit dis Monument fella down in a chair, Mafia-style, and get him to tell us what he knows or we start bustin' kneecaps. :choke:

Comment

• It is the escalator tower.

Comment

• pictures anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by trueblue9441 View Post
                  pictures anyone?
                  no.............
                  www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by trueblue9441 View Post
                    pictures anyone?
                    I might head out tomorrow for a little camera session of the demo.

Comment

• Why?

I think the saddest thing about this, aside from the obvious and the Penn Station parallel, is that when one looks at photos of RYS one must wonder why anyone felt it needed to be replaced. It was immaculate. It was easy on the eyes. It was well-maintained. It was historic and modern all at the same time. In short, there was nothing wrong with it. It wasn't crumbling or falling apart or neglected or run down (like Penn Station), it wasn't obsolete and hadn't outlived the purpose for which it was built (like Penn Station), it wasn't uncomfortable or uninviting (like Penn Station in the early '60s), it wasn't an expensive white elephant that no one wanted or cared about anymore (like Penn Station).

I'm not a Yankee fan, but I can't see this for anything other than what it is, what the destruction of Penn Station 45 years ago was called: a "monumental act of civic vandalism."

Penn Station had to go, even though it probably shouldn't have. Shea Stadium had to go, and thankfully it did. Yankee Stadium did not have to go.

"Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves. ... And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed." - New York Times editorial, October 1963, as the jackhammers pierced the granite of Penn Station.
                      Last edited by GrafZeppelin127; 01-28-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrafZeppelin127 View Post
                        I think the saddest thing about this, aside from the obvious and the Penn Station parallel, is that when one looks at photos of RYS one must wonder why anyone felt it needed to be replaced.
                        Amenities...and a moat.

I guarantee if this recession hit before they broke ground on NYS the Yankees would still be playing in RYS with plans to renovate it.
                        www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Right now, all that I know is that the LF tower is coming down. No word yet on UD demo. Wish I could tell you more.
                          Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

In short, there was nothing wrong with it.
                            with the exception of it's underachieving revenue potential.

Comment

I think the saddest thing about this, aside from the obvious and the Penn Station parallel, is that when one looks at photos of RYS one must wonder why anyone felt it needed to be replaced. It was immaculate. It was easy on the eyes. It was well-maintained. It was historic and modern all at the same time. In short, there was nothing wrong with it. It wasn't crumbling or falling apart or neglected or run down (like Penn Station), it wasn't obsolete and hadn't outlived the purpose for which it was built (like Penn Station), it wasn't uncomfortable or uninviting (like Penn Station in the early '60s), it wasn't an expensive white elephant that no one wanted or cared about anymore (like Penn Station).

I'm not a Yankee fan, but I can't see this for anything other than what it is, what the destruction of Penn Station 45 years ago was called: a "monumental act of civic vandalism."

Penn Station had to go, even though it probably shouldn't have. Shea Stadium had to go, and thankfully it did. Yankee Stadium did not have to go.

"Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves. ... And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed." - New York Times editorial, October 1963, as the jackhammers pierced the granite of Penn Station.
                              Let it go.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
                                Let it go.
                                Seconded. At this point, your effort would be much better spent supporting the effort to preserve Gate 2.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X