Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
    again, who's gonna pay for this? the taxpayers?
    They are going to have to install sidewalks around Gate 2 and/or Heritage Park, right? What if the City went the "DisneyWorld route" & offered fans a chance to buy a brick engraved with whatever message they want on it (within reason, of course)? I've heard the number $10M kicked around here as what it would cost to save Gate 2, so if they sold & installed 100,00 pavers @ $100.00 a pop (sans the cost of the brick, engraving & installation), you'd have your $10M right there. At $125.00 per brick, you'd only need to sell 80,000 bricks .... at $150.00 per brick, about 67,000, etc. Or you could charge a flat rate of $99.00 per brick, then say $20 extra if you want to add the Yankee "NY" logo, $20.00 extra if you want an extra line of writing, etc.

What would be even cooler would be to preserve the actual footprint of the Stadium with these pavers, sort of like what they did in Atlanta in the parking lot of Turner Field, except instead of preserving Atlanta Fulton County Stadium's diamond in brick (photo below) .... they could preserve Yankee Stadium's footprint. Running rows of bricks around the perimeter of a parkland that are going to be laid out in three baseball fields could be tricky at best & impractical at worst .... but IF there was a way to do it, I think it would be awesome & Gate 2 would have a nice complement! Yankee fans would have a place to meet & gather before games, check out there bricks, take pictures with them, etc. Season ticket holders and/or fans who had seats in a certain section of the old Stadium would probably want their paver to be placed in the area where their seats used to be, etc.

Now .... this is an even LONGER shot, but what if the YANKEES footed the $10M bill & then offered season ticket holders ONE FREE BRICK per season ticket seat that that buy in 2010. If they have two seats & want to have three bricks on the walk, they can pay extra for it. If they want a second (identical paver) that they can keep in their home, they can pay extra for that as well. Same for fans who don't own a season ticket, but want to have a brick on the walkway as well. If they got enough non season ticket holders to buy these bricks, they'd probably even MAKE on the deal, as a brick/paver only costs a buck or two & engraving one can't cost all that much either, especially when you're dealing in thousands of them being done.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RichieA13; 02-06-2010, 10:59 AM.
    ------------------------------------------
    www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
    www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
    www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Old concourse!!!
      Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

Comment

• Originally posted by baseballman1243 View Post
        Old concourse!!!

I THINK we need someone on the subway platform, armed with a good camera lens who can zoom into the old concourse opening? If we only KNEW someone who was talented enough to handle such a task? Someone who's keen eye & ballpark experience would be able to get a good shot looking into that old concourse?

SOUND LIKE A JOB FOR GARY (dum, dum, duuuuuuuum)!
        Last edited by RichieA13; 02-06-2010, 11:06 AM.
        www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
          Why not - the taxpayers largely footed the bill for the new stadium?
          why is that right? when schools, roads, sewers, water system, parks, bridges are crumbling under your feet??

the clock is tick, tick, ticking, don't complain when a pothole blows out your tires
          the turd in the punchbowl
          reality really sucks.
          enjoy the game more...

Comment

• I seem to be like the guy who sells knock-off DVD's in the Chinese restaurants. Not good quality but you but 'em anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
              I seem to be like the guy who sells knock-off DVD's in the Chinese restaurants. Not good quality but you but 'em anyway.
              and you don't watermark them like they are a valuable shot.

Comment

• I.R.P.>INSTANT RESPONSE PHOTO
                (Accuracy through volume)
                IRT Subway platform 2/6/2010 @ 1400 hrs:

Comment

• Want clear pictures? I'll give you clear pictures. Here's my favorite Yankee Stadium demolition photo
                  JUNE 17,1997

Comment

I.R.P.>INSTANT RESPONSE PHOTO
                    (Accuracy through volume)
                    IRT Subway platform 2/6/2010 @ 1400 hrs:
                    Based on these holes in the back wall of the bleachers, will the demo crews be yanking it down...don't know how they'd collapse it otherwise
                    sigpic

Comment

• Long live Don Mattingly. (Video alert)Bleechers ,I'm told, will be PULLED down in sections and AWAY from the subway and in towards the warning track. This is what I hear,but you didn't get it from me.

Demo question:
                      Gun to the head :You have the option of taking a clone of Mattingly or A-Rod as a rookie . Who do you pick?

Comment

Want clear pictures? I'll give you clear pictures. Here's my favorite Yankee Stadium demolition photo
                        JUNE 17,1997
                        GOOD one, 410!!
                        I was AT that game in the nosebleeds along the 3B side of the Upper Deck.
                        By the 9th inning, it was like I was at a game at Shea Stadium!
                        That was a great night, indeed!
                        www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
                          Someone who's keen eye & ballpark experience would be able to get a good shot looking into that old concourse?

Originally posted by mets16 View Post
                          and you don't watermark them like they are a valuable shot.
                          :flow:
                          X
                          What's THAT guy doing?
                          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Almost went to the Stadium on friday to photo and video the tower coming down, but decided that I couldn't spare the 4-5 hours needed to travel back and forth, shoot, and of course eat lunch. Now I regret it, as the tower is all down and I missed it. Today, however, I spoke to an acquaintance that works at the site and this is what I found out-----
                            1. The scaffolding that 410 saw is not new scaffolding waiting to go up, but old stuff that was taken down from the bleachers. We can clearly see in some of the above photos that only scaffolding remains behind the LF bleachers. This is because.....
                            2. The bleachers are coming down next, possibly starting next week and it will be about 2 weeks in duration.
                            3. The blue X's on the outer walls, on the decorative panels, are there to indicate that the caulking has been removed from them. My guy said that they are only vents, but the louvered vents are clearly above and below the panels in question. I'll have to ask him about this again.
                            4. We haven't seen any pix from inside because permits are needed from the Mayors Office, and only a select few have been granted permission. Don't know who the few are.
                            5. There is apparently little hope for Gate 2.
                            Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                              2. The bleachers are coming down next, possibly starting next week and it will be about 2 weeks in duration.
                              Will that include the wall?

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                              4. We haven't seen any pix from inside because permits are needed from the Mayors Office, and only a select few have been granted permission. Don't know who the few are.
                              Do you know where one would need to apply?
                              X
                              What's THAT guy doing?
                              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                                Will that include the wall?

Do you know where one would need to apply?
                                Many months ago i was told by someone from the Dept of Parks & Rec who is in charge of this whole operation (i dont have the name handy) that nobody from the public would be granted access inside because of liability issues. Only people with press credentials would be allowed in at designated dates during the demolition. I was told that i would be considered when they released these 'dates'...havent heard anything.

Im sure maybe 1 permit was issued....to the New York Yankees, so they can sell their books and video.
                                www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X