Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
    if you're coming from work in midtown and taking public transit home afterwards nowhere near midtown you can't leave the bag at work because you need it the next morning before work.

again, it's a combination of them not wanting to pay for minimum wage burns goons to check bags and a elevated sense of importance. oys was not any more of a terror target than the empire state building, carnegie hall, the garden etc., but that's the excuse used to barr the bags.

btw - it's obvious if you really were able to get all that stuff in that the burns goons weren't doing their jobs...
    Baby bags were allowed in at all times after being checked
    anything else all you needed was a clear plastic bag
    I thought security did a great job
    and to be honest the old stadium just couldnt handle 50,000 a night and check thousands of bags
    waiting to get into games took for ever at the oys even with limited bags
    unlike the new stadium which I never seemed to be on line for more than a minute no matter how big the game was
    and though you dont seem to hold security as a top priority if it inconveniences you- I followed the rules and was happy they took all precautions especially having been to all those games after 9/11 in 2001

Comment

• most ticket holders don't walk around with "baby bags", especially after work

the ban on the business sized bags for adults was in force right through last year

enough with the excuses
      the turd in the punchbowl
      reality really sucks.
      enjoy the game more...

Comment

• no excuses a policy is a policy- I adapted in fact for all these years I was never aware it was such a big problem
        however for those who dont like it - we here in NY are lucky that we can always go to shea or now citi instead to get our baseball fix

Comment

• I'm fairly new to BF and I've not had NEAR enough time to go through all the threads on this forum. Holy moly there's a lot of info and conversation on here! Anyway I have a question: why the focus on saving Gate 2 of renovated Yankee Stadium. I mean, I understand wanting to save a gate, what a nice feature and piece of history to have in the park they're planning for that piece of land. What I mean is, why Gate 2 instead of the other gates?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheTraveler View Post
            I'm fairly new to BF and I've not had NEAR enough time to go through all the threads on this forum. Holy moly there's a lot of info and conversation on here! Anyway I have a question: why the focus on saving Gate 2 of renovated Yankee Stadium. I mean, I understand wanting to save a gate, what a nice feature and piece of history to have in the park they're planning for that piece of land. What I mean is, why Gate 2 instead of the other gates?
            Because it was relatively untouched after the renovation.
            Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• The other gates were pretty much gutted when they added the escalator "pods". The original gate designs aren't hidden behind the pods, just a gaping hole.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MarcianoNY; 02-10-2010, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarcianoNY View Post
                The other gates were pretty much gutted when they added the escalator "pods". The original gate designs aren't hidden behind the pods, just a gaping hole.
                thats the first time ive ever seen that picture and the first words out of my mouth were "holy sh*t, what were they thinking?"

Comment

• OK, well that makes sense then. Thanks guys.

Comment

• Gate 2 is also the closest to new Yankee Stadium and would be the most visible.
                    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by yankies4life View Post
                      thats the first time ive ever seen that picture and the first words out of my mouth were "holy sh*t, what were they thinking?"
                      if you lived through the 1970's, it's not surprising...
                      the turd in the punchbowl
                      reality really sucks.
                      enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                        if you lived through the 1970's, it's not surprising...
                        Look what that decade did to Elvis!

At least Yankee Stadium survived to see three more decades!

Comment

• Does anyone know if there's been any progress? I wouldn't think so, with the weather and all that, but you never know...
                          X
                          What's THAT guy doing?
                          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• not sure if these have been posted yet but kaminski has some updated pics from 2/8/10
                            http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/6320773.php

Comment

• Originally posted by yankies4life View Post

Yep, removing Gate 4 and replacing it with an eyesore, one of many concrete escalator pods. Also removing the frieze, destroying the upper portion of OYS and replacing it with an exposed upper deck - concrete, spidery-designed monstrosity.

What they did to OYS was more criminal than building a new stadium, in my opinion.

So sad:
                              This:

For this:

Comment

• To be fair when old stadium was renovated I am guessing they were trying to go for the futuristic look (what was futuristic for folks way back).

Many people probably liked it back in the day.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X