No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My guess is that more people hated it, especially traditionalists. My father wasn't the type to be devastated over things like this, but he did tell me that he much preferred OYS and that the renovation pretty much destroyed its classic look and soul. He always thought it looked and felt like a different stadium, regardless of how much of the original remained. According to everyone I spoke with who went to OYS, the frieze and Gate 4 where big deals even then; they pretty much defined OYS, as did the old playing field and dimensions.

Comment

• it was typical government-inspired "brutalist" architecture, cheap and functional without any inspiration.
      ever look at nyc subway stations that weren't gutted in the 60's/70's? the detail that private co.'s like the i.r.t. and b.m.t. (which was the brooklyn/manhattan transit co., the collectivist inspired phrase "mass transit" was not used) knew that interesting and intelligent design would attract riders/customers.
      brutism is an outgrowth of the "international" "style" embraced in post-wwii europe when the suppression of individualism was the hot idea of the day and it later caught on here after the war and lasted through the late 70's.
      it was championed by elitists as futuristic, but it was simply brutal.
      the turd in the punchbowl
      reality really sucks.
      enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
        it was typical government-inspired "brutalist" architecture, cheap and functional without any inspiration.
        ever look at nyc subway stations that weren't gutted in the 60's/70's? the detail that private co.'s like the i.r.t. and b.m.t. (which was the brooklyn/manhattan transit co., the collectivist inspired phrase "mass transit" was not used) knew that interesting and intelligent design would attract riders/customers.
        brutism is an outgrowth of the "international" "style" embraced in post-wwii europe when the suppression of individualism was the hot idea of the day and it later caught on here after the war and lasted through the late 70's.
        it was championed by elitists as futuristic, but it was simply brutal.
        The period from the late 1950's thru the 1970's was a period of 'everything old must go' and 'new must be better'. I, too, preferred OYS to the RYS . I have already posted that it reminded me of avocado kitchens and shag carpets from the 70's...what were they thinking. Think Brady Bunch kitchen.

OYS, Ebbets, the Polo Grounds....either ruined or demolished. Penn Station demolished. (Thank Jackie O for saving Grand Central !)

Saratoga Race Track was nearly demolished in this period too. Much of the Saratoga Racing meet was held at Jamaica Race Track because people hated the long trek to such an ancient place...and the gate and handle were higher at Jamaica. Thankfully, Jamaica was razed and going to the Spa came back in style later on.

Here in Goshen, old timers tell me how 50,000 folks would show up for the Hambletonian at the classic mile track, Good Time Park. Back in the late 50's, it was replaced by the half mile enclosed with a/c track called Monticello. Today, maybe 20 people go to Monticello, and Good Time Park is an empty field. What a shame.

The one reason I don't get worked up about RYS being torn down is that they ruined OYS in the 1970's. Ideally, NYS would have been put up on the same site, but they did not do it.

For the record, I did go to OYS 1970-1973 via Con Edison tickets and I loved going there ! Thank you Con Ed !

BTW, when I worked in downtown Brooklyn circa 2000, whenever I was asked directions by a 'yuppie', I gave correct detailed instructions....but I always used "Brooklyn speak". i.e "take the Interborough two stops and switch over to the BMT. don't take the Independent because it does not connect to the IRT" I would get that glazed look that they had no clue what I was saying, and usually they asked someone else.:noidea

Comment

• GET OVER HERE FAST
          SAT 0830 hrs

Comment

• They're blocking off streets,so something is going on. Anyone with video get over here.
            THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Comment

• CODE RED -REPEAT- CODE RED
              Saturday 2/13/2010 0900 HRS

Comment

• Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
                CODE RED -REPEAT- CODE RED
                Saturday 2/13/2010 0900 HRS

Dude it was a baseball stadium. Code Red Seriously?

Comment

• Do I spy a catwalk?

Comment

• Originally posted by tscotter View Post
                    Dude it was a baseball stadium. Code Red Seriously?
                    It may seem like overkill to the casual observer, but for those who've been watching this snail's paced demo for the past year; today is pretty darn exciting.

People get chubbies around here anytime original elements of OYS are revealed.
                    Last edited by RfkFedEx; 02-13-2010, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• is that the UD with a gaping hole through it?
                      www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• It sure is

Comment

• Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                          It may seem like overkill to the casual observer, but for those who've been watching this snail's paced demo for the past year; today is pretty darn exciting.

People get chubbies around here anytime original elements of OYS are revealed.
                          That I can understand. It has been bizarre how slow they have been moving with the demolition. The stadium should have been gone quite sometime ago.

As for the revealed elements I agree that is rather interesting and I have been watching to see those as well. Anyway on with the show. : )

Maybe I'll swing down to the Bronx and have a look over the long weekend. I have a feeling however it will not be a dramatic as the visit or two I made to the Shea demo. Watching two whole sections of upper deck slide down at once was really cool.

Comment

1. "These things go down... These things go down"

Charles Grodin
                            Midnight Run

Comment

• He doesn't like to demolish?????!!!! I gave you 4 days, Jack, FOUR DAYS to get that stadium taken down. You could've taken it down backwards.

- Eddie Moscone

Comment

• Left field Loge boxes 536 to 544 are being removed now.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X