No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a Met fan and having gone through this with Shea,you guys better get over to see her before the Stadium's unrecognizable. It's more emotional than you realize. You're going to wish you saw her one last time. Don't wait for April because she'll be gone by then. Anyway,I caught this guy taking pictures recently. He looks slightly familar:

Comment

• Pictures from yesterday...

A look down 158th Street at the point where the bleacher wall was taken down. The wall now "begins" at the Diamond Vision screen. (That horizontal white "strip" on top has always been there, it's not demolition-related.)

The underside of the porch in right field...

An extreme zoom-lens view of the left field end of the upper deck, at the very top...

A zoom-lens view of the area where the bleacher wall was removed. Incidentally, the apartment building is the one on the southwest corner of Gerard and 157th (I don't know the house number)... those windows that appear to look inside the stadium, in reality, directly face the parking garage. I don't think these buildings were ever able to look onto the field, not even in Babe Ruth's day...

Just for comparison's sake, here's a similar view taken just three days earlier...

And now we return to yesterday's photos and probably the ones you want to see the most... the sweeping views of the stadium as seen from the #4 train...

Here's a similar version of the photo I posted earlier showing the left field stands... it's not the exact same photo. This one is a little different, and it's in better quality, so this is the one you want...

Both of these shots were taken from (moving) downtown trains, whose tracks are closer to the field than the northbound tracks.

Here's a link to my entire Flickr photoset from yesterday.
      Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 02-19-2010, 12:05 AM.
      X
      What's THAT guy doing?
      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
        (That horizontal white "strip" on top has always been there, it's not demolition-related.)

The frieze frame, yes.

Super photos, Gary!

Comment

• Gary - what kind of camera do you use?
          www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Excellent photos!

With the wall down I think we now have the vantage point most have been looking for. Only issue is I assume you have to be quick on the camera!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
              The frieze frame, yes.

Super photos, Gary!
              Frieze frame
              I could see it was a rough-cut Tuesday
              Slow-motion weekdays stare me down
              Her lipstick reflex got me wound
              There were no defects to be found
              snapshot image froze without a sound
              Thursday morning was a hot flash-factor
              Her face still focused in my mind
              Test-strip proof-sheet love is hard to find
              Friday night we'll dance the spotlight grind
              Stop-time heart for me if she's not mine
              Frieze frame! Frieze frame! Frieze frame!
              Frieze-frame! Now frieze!
              Now I'm lookin' at a flashback Sunday
              Zoom lens feelings just won't disappear
              Close-up darkroom sweet-talk in my ear
              Her hot-spot love for me is strong
              This freeze-frame moment can't be wrong
              Frieze frame! Frieze frame! Frieze frame! Frieze frame! Now frieze!

Was Peter Wolf singing about Gary and Yankee Stadium this whole time???
              Last edited by JohnCropp; 02-19-2010, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43l61...eature=related

This demolition is kinda getting me sad again...

April 20th, 1987 was my first time at the grand ballpark...my 9th birthday. I was 1 of 20,111 in attendance that night. Rick Rhoden got the win against Jack Morris, Dave Righetti got the save, Don Mattingly hit a home run. I was hooked from then on.

Time is moving too quickly.
                Interesting, I was there also.....small world
                Attached Files

Comment

• Today Feb 19, 2010

\

Comment

• Originally posted by TJH1923 View Post
                    Interesting, I was there also.....small world
                    Thats pretty insane.

We also sat near each other, i was somewhere in section 16,18 or 20. Weird.
                    www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                      Pictures from yesterday...

A look down 158th Street at the point where the bleacher wall was taken down. The wall now "begins" at the Diamond Vision screen. (That horizontal white "strip" on top has always been there, it's not demolition-related.)

And now we return to yesterday's photos and probably the ones you want to see the most... the sweeping views of the stadium as seen from the #4 train...

Here's a similar version of the photo I posted earlier showing the left field stands... it's not the exact same photo. This one is a little different, and it's in better quality, so this is the one you want...

Both of these shots were taken from (moving) downtown trains, whose tracks are closer to the field than the northbound tracks.

Here's a link to my entire Flickr photoset from yesterday.
                      Great photos Gary, I'll try to stitch a panoramic shot of these two from the 4 train tonight
                      sigpic

Comment

• Now more than ever-The world's worst cell phone stadium photographer-And you know that.

Bobby Jackson Worlds worst stadium cell phone photographer

Comment

• Friday feb. 19, 2010 Bobby Jackson The worlds worst cell phone photographer-But you knew that

Comment

• Jon Lovitz?
                            Last edited by behm; 02-19-2010, 10:31 AM.
                            You talk sunshine- I breathe fire!

Comment

• Be that as it may Bobby, you might have captured the first shots into the the upper deck in nearly 35 years.

With that... seems like we can never catch a break on the things we really want to see. They rip up that one UD section in like two seconds and now seem to be going nowhere. Seems like they ripped down the RF loge (with the touch of green we were all waiting for) in an afternoon, and all we get is two months of exposed pink ladies restroom.

Comment

• Sean,sadly you are right. And Gary took the very last photo from between the right field stands and bleacher wall(#4 train).

CF Speakers are coming down next.
                                Bobby Jackson,Worlds worst cell phone stadium photographer-but you knew that already

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X