No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First of all I'm standing on Babe Ruth Plaza when I took this. Not the sidewalk,not the street,- on the Plaza. The Constitution allows me to take this photo from across the street,Photobucket allows me an IMG code to download,whats the problem? The only problem is workers believing this and other photos showcase them not being in position during demo. On the contrary,I've observed them being professional, moving outside the fence protecting passersby when demo may fall possibly to the sidewalk or when trucks come in and out(there is a great insurance risk). They stand on perimeter and do their job. Everyone and everything is fine- relax.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
      Yeah - this is why:
      LOL, i updated the post to include this one. Good stuff.
      www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• [QUOTE=David Atkatz;1695085]Thought I'd post a few I took today, 21 February 2010

Look at the holes punched through the risers, and the cables that goes through them, wrapping around the girder. I wonder what they're holding up?
        First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
          Yeah - this is why:

Well, I'll tell you this - one of the waste removal trucks at the Shea Stadium demolition did have a Yankees logo on it. Not sure if I've got a picture of it but even if I did I can't access Flickr right now, so I can't post it.

And while I'm posting, I've got to comment on what RichardLillard1 said about people not wanting to be identified as having taken part in the demolition of Yankee Stadium, specifically where he writes about "the poor souls that have no choice but to slowly dismantle the House That Ruth Built."

I have no factual knowledge on the hiring and employment practices of the demolition industry, but "the poor souls that have no choice but to slowly dismantle the House That Ruth Built" implies that the men doing the actual demolition work had no say in whether or not to accept the assignment. I would think a company big enough to receive the assignment to demolish Yankee Stadium would be big enough to have more than one job at a time, so wouldn't there be some people who (by virtue of title or seniority) could turn down the assignment?

Conversely, there might be members of the crew who wanted to be part of the project, and the reason I say that is because they might be of the opinion that 'if they're going to tear down Yankee Stadium anyway, I want to be a part of it.'
          X
          What's THAT guy doing?
          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• With no disrespect to anyone involved in this and the manager of the demo project, GIVE ME A BREAK!

Gary above pretty much stole my thunder, but if any workers didn't want to be associated with the demo of YS, THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO TAKE THE ASSIGNMENT!

This is still America right? We have the rights by law to photograph as we will as long as were not trespassing or doing it illegally.
            Its quite ridiculous how people are being treated in this.
            I've said my part

Comment

• What can I say?

Gary, when you're right. You're right.

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• [QUOTE=CHiller;1695174][QUOTE=David Atkatz;1695085]Thought I'd post a few I took today, 21 February 2010

Look at the holes punched through the risers, and the cables that goes through them, wrapping around the girder.
                I wonder what they're holding up?

Looks like they are holding the upper supports the upper part of the deck, David, to prevent it from POSSIBLY falling backwards & towards the street and/or Gate 2. It's PROBABLY just precautionary, though the 'Gate 2 Camp' COULD read into it as the demo crew being EXTRA careful around Gate 2, should their effort to save it actually come to fruition. I'm guessing it's probably the first reason, but MAYBE the second one, too? Who knows?!
                Last edited by RichieA13; 02-22-2010, 07:14 AM.
                ------------------------------------------
                www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• It just dawned on me. You guys are a group of ungrateful Bast***!!!

George Steinbrenner in his infinite wisdom is tearing down all the renovated garbage the city of New York added to the Original Yankee Stadium in 1973-1976. He's having the loge and field level seats ripped out now so he can replace the columns with new strong safe steel. He's going to pour brand new cement. He's going to put good clean dirt on the field and build up the ground level 7 feet. He's tearing down the monstrosity of left field they added in 1928. Then he will tear down the monstrosity of rightfield they added in 1938. He's going to move the field seats back and remove the extra ten rows from the upper deck and replace the roof and facade. All this will be done then they will tear down that crappy stadium across the street. And he will do this out of the goodness of his heart for us Yankee fans. It will only cost 2 Billion but he has it. He borrowed it from Bernie Madoff!!!!

Hold up, am I the one losing my mind and not Steinbrenner?
                  Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• [QUOTE=RichieA13;1695181][QUOTE=CHiller;1695174]
                    Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
                    Thought I'd post a few I took today, 21 February 2010

Look at the holes punched through the risers, and the cables that goes through them, wrapping around the girder.
                    I wonder what they're holding up?
                    My guess would be that they are there to pull the structure forward when it's time to come down.
                    Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
                      With no disrespect to anyone involved in this and the manager of the demo project, GIVE ME A BREAK!

Gary above pretty much stole my thunder, but if any workers didn't want to be associated with the demo of YS, THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO TAKE THE ASSIGNMENT!

This is still America right? We have the rights by law to photograph as we will as long as were not trespassing or doing it illegally.
                      Its quite ridiculous how people are being treated in this.
                      I've said my part

All i have to say is, how pathetic would anyone really be to be mad at someone for doing this job. Its a job nothing more. Most of these guys im sure dont care either way..
                      Now as a Huge sports fan and my passioin for contsruction and demolition, i besides the great memories shed no tears for a Building, Its a building. Now Can any one of us Picture mongers who brave the elements to get the great shots that you get and the rest come hear to view them gonna seriously tell me that you woudl turn down the job to tear down either of these two stadiums, love them or not?? SERIOUSLY?? What better ways to get inside and see the history up front and center of how the stadium came together then torn apart. Id for one woudl Volunteer to get inside.. But maybe thats just me.. I doubt these guys are losing sleep over it. They are working and collecting a paycheck, and in a down economy thats way more important then some love affair with a building. Theres new stadiums now , go make new memories and more history.
                      Last edited by nymTom; 02-22-2010, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• New aerials of demo today from WCBS

http://www.wcbs880.com/Yankee-Stadiu...Update/6415193
                        http://www.twitter.com/chrisswann26

My Citi Field & Shea Gallery - 27 Albums - 3,091 pictures - 15 videos
                        Citi Field Interior Construction Pics, Citi Field Game Pics, Shea Demolition Pics
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/islandxtreme26

Comment

• Originally posted by islandxtreme26 View Post
                          New aerials of demo today from WCBS

http://www.wcbs880.com/Yankee-Stadiu...Update/6415193

I sure hope the crane in these new photos doesn't contact WCBS & requesting that his image NOT be shown on their site? He may not be able to show his face among the other cranes when they learn that HE was responsible for tearing down Yankee Stadium!
                          Last edited by RichieA13; 02-22-2010, 08:33 AM.
                          www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Here's one of Kaminski's shots showing the cables. Looks like there are several, punched throught the risers at different levels. But they are only over the area above Gate 2, the section to the left does not have them. I wonder if they are there to stiffen the deck above Gate 2 so that it can be brought down in a controlled way, and protect the Gate from damage. (hopeful thinking....)
                            Attached Files
                            First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• Originally posted by CHiller View Post
                              Here's one of Kaminski's shots showing the cables. Looks like there are several, punched throught the risers at different levels. But they are only over the area above Gate 2, the section to the left does not have them. I wonder if they are there to stiffen the deck above Gate 2 so that it can be brought down in a controlled way, and protect the Gate from damage. (hopeful thinking....)
                              Yep .... that was my point in post #4942 above, CHiller.

Otherwise, As Dr Gogol also surmised, they MAY just be planning on pulling it forward, whether it be the section over Gate 2, or any other section, section by section.
                              Last edited by RichieA13; 02-22-2010, 08:50 AM.
                              www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• The cables are also over the isolated section only - it could be to help hold the trusses in place while they're demolished, with all the pounding and grappling. You're dealing with a handsome amount of cantilever (even by today's standards) and you can never be too careful.
                                Last edited by Aviator_Frank; 02-22-2010, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X