Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
    Never once heard it refered to as a joke. I've heard many "welcome to the cathedral of baseball" through the years on TV though. Ah those over head night time blimp shots of a WS game as it was about to begin... The broadcasters fawning over the beauty a packed real Yankee Stadium (Large s). Look, Yankee Stadium was added on to and changed many times since 1923. Should have continued that way. Talk about cheap and garish... Just look at that new piece of garbage. No way that puppy lasts 50 years.
    Think both extreme positions are hyperbole. New Yankee Stadium is in no way cheap and although some features may be a bit over the top it is hardly garish. It is beautiful and elegent. Some things could have been done better but all in all it is a beautiful stadium regardless of the resentment it gets for replacing something irreplaceable. RYS was dated but never a joke. It was an historical ballpark that although changed, retained 75% of its' original structure and 100% of its' history plus 33 more seasons on top of the original 51. OYS was a dated ill-maintained palace but a palace nontheless that I will always regret being to young to go to when it still existed.

Regardless of what you think of the 70's renovation, no way do we get to 2010 with OYS still standing as it was in 1973. Sure, the Laws of Physics don't preclude it but every possible outcome from the Yankees leaving the region to Steinbrenner building a new stadium earlier or moving to the Meadowlands or an even more extreme renovation, choose your poison, are the likely outcomes.

OYS is where my dad attended games growing up. RYS is where he took me and I first took my daughter. NYS is where I have and will take my son (his first Yankee game) and daughter. Each one is special in their own right to me for different reasons. Although my preference was to retain RYS, that didn't happen and I am not going to spend the second 40 years of my life pissing on it!

Comment

• You're going to miss this place when it's gone. I can't believe I'll never in my life be able to go to Shea Stadium-ever. So all you Yankee fans go there now(RYS-OYS) before it's too late. I hate the Yankees with all my heart,but there's something wrong with destroying this place. My hat is off to the Cubs and the Red Sox,and the Dodgers,for keeping their home. There's something right with doing that.

Comment

• Originally posted by kobathecat View Post
        Think both extreme positions are hyperbole. New Yankee Stadium is in no way cheap and although some features may be a bit over the top it is hardly garish. It is beautiful and elegent. Some things could have been done better but all in all it is a beautiful stadium regardless of the resentment it gets for replacing something irreplaceable. RYS was dated but never a joke. It was an historical ballpark that although changed, retained 75% of its' original structure and 100% of its' history plus 33 more seasons on top of the original 51. OYS was a dated ill-maintained palace but a palace nontheless that I will always regret being to young to go to when it still existed.

Regardless of what you think of the 70's renovation, no way do we get to 2010 with OYS still standing as it was in 1973. Sure, the Laws of Physics don't preclude it but every possible outcome from the Yankees leaving the region to Steinbrenner building a new stadium earlier or moving to the Meadowlands or an even more extreme renovation, choose your poison, are the likely outcomes.

OYS is where my dad attended games growing up. RYS is where he took me and I first took my daughter. NYS is where I have and will take my son (his first Yankee game) and daughter. Each one is special in their own right to me for different reasons. Although my preference was to retain RYS, that didn't happen and I am not going to spend the second 40 years of my life pissing on it!
        Very well said , I thank you, I feel much like you about the two ball parks. Take that Maxlugar!!
        :gt:gt

Comment

• Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
          You're going to miss this place when it's gone. I can't believe I'll never in my life be able to go to Shea Stadium-ever. So all you Yankee fans go there now(RYS-OYS) before it's too late. I hate the Yankees with all my heart,but there's something wrong with destroying this place. My hat is off to the Cubs and the Red Sox,and the Dodgers,for keeping their home. There's something right with doing that.
          Until the Red Sox plow Fenway which they will

Comment

• Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
            Until the Red Sox plow Fenway which they will
            Keep dreaming, Gordo.

Fenway will be underwater before the Red Sox leave.

Not that Yankee fans will be able to appreciate it:
            Last edited by JohnCropp; 03-03-2010, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
              Keep dreaming, Gordo.

Fenway will be underwater before the Red Sox leave.

Not that Yankee fans will be able to appreciate it:
              You could have said that about Yankee Stadium, too.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
                You're going to miss this place when it's gone. I can't believe I'll never in my life be able to go to Shea Stadium-ever. So all you Yankee fans go there now(RYS-OYS) before it's too late. I hate the Yankees with all my heart,but there's something wrong with destroying this place. My hat is off to the Cubs and the Red Sox,and the Dodgers,for keeping their home. There's something right with doing that.
                honestly, i wont miss the old stadium. ive said it once and ill say it again, the only thing ill miss about the old stadium is the history. besides that, i love the new place. as commercial as everyone else feels it is, i think its a grand ballpark and there is none like it. its the same exact game that was played across the street and its the same game thats being played across the world. i enjoyed going to the old ballpark, but i love the new one. two years ago, i was at the final game and i was there when the gates opened to when the cops told us to leave the stadium. i just stood in the upper deck looking out and taking everything in. ive let go of the old place and have accepted the new ballpark.

Comment

• A Glimpse Into the Future

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                  I liked this view, showing what the place looks like without the outfield wall...

With apologies in advance for the amateur Photoshop work, here's what the House that Ruth Built will likely be reduced to in a few weeks... Too depressing!

Comment

• Originally posted by mhh222 View Post
                    With apologies in advance for the amateur Photoshop work, here's what the House that Ruth Built will likely be reduced to in a few weeks... Too depressing!

That's cheating!!!

Comment

wow, great job. i wish it was just that easy and it was gone tomorrow. just rip it off like a band aid. get it done with already

Comment

• Really the thing should have been done last year. I know its not like Shea where the space was needed for a parking lot, but they could have had this thing done last year, and already had a beautiful park as well as a memorial area to the place completed.

I understand people sentiments and I understand the logistics involved with getting stuff out, auctioned, the politics involved, as well as perservationists looking to save parts, but the sooner the better. Now for what for will be close to 1 and 1/2 years, the shell of a once great ballpark that is now nothing more then steel rusting away and concrete crumbling has to sit as an eyesore. Get it over with already.

Comment

• .... Spoken like someone who doesn't understand hazardous materials and structural engineering.

Comment

What... couldn't even PRETEND to save Gate 2? :o

Comment

I was scrolling through quickly (I stop by every few days) and I thought to myself, 'WOW...they've done a lot over a few days!'

It pays to go through this thread slowly....

I'd love to see some more REAL pictures, and since I don't post often, I'll also offer thanks to Gary and all others who occasionally trek up there to keep us satiated!

Comment

• Always wished I'd gotten the chance to go to the old stadium before it was demolished, but I have been to the new on and it is amazing. With the Red Sox would scrap that turd known as Fenway Park and update. It's LONG over due.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X