No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We all know the Jay Z line"I made the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can"

Actually no. While the name 'Jay Z' is remotely familiar he and his music are not relevant to me even in the slightest of ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by kobathecat View Post
      We all know the Jay Z line"I made the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can"

Actually no. While the name 'Jay Z' is remotely familiar he and his music are not relevant to me even in the slightest of ways.

I don't think YankeeStadium1923 meant the Jay-Z thing literally. But the point still stands that it going to games at Yankee Stadium is now much more of a social event as it was even 10 years ago. Attendance starting spiking around 2002 and then big time in 2004 after A-Rod arrived. I remember listening to the radio even in the late '90s-early '00s and hearing Michael Kay point out when the left field bleachers would be opened up for a regular season weekday game, because that signified a good attendance number overall. I'm only 24 but have been going to games in the Bronx for about a decade now, and while I like to have my few beers, the most important thing is always on the field. I think we can all agree that there have been many more people there in recent years (especially of my age group) that are there more to hang out than to watch their team play up close.

Comment

• Haven't been down in a while, decided to head over for a bit this morning. From what I can see there doesn't seem to be enough reach on the cranes to get to the top unless they make those long gashes into the sections. Also definitely no expert but think I got some good shots of the old walkways under the upper deck? Anyway, enjoy, posting 2 sets.
        Steve

Comment

• Set two from today:

Comment

• Originally posted by kobathecat View Post
            Probably to prevent an accidental, rolling collapse of the entire upper deck as they pull down one end. This way if an unintended collapse starts at one end, these cuts would act as a firewall to it continuing. Just my guess.

That is exactly what happened with the upper deck at TIger stadium. The whole upper deck collapsed.
            Last edited by doctor_gogol; 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM.
            Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• I'm back from my trip to The Bronx. The first thing I noticed today is that the black veil DIRECTLY in front of Gate 2 has been removed. I take that as being, quite possibly, a GOOD sign. Why would they remove the veil (which is supposed to contain airbourne construction debris) from outside a building that is supposed to be razed, UNLESS that part of the building is NOT going to be razed. right? I think it's encouraging for the 'Save Gate 2' camp, anyway. There were a couple workers working on the outside scaffolding way up top & just past Gate 2. Couldn't tell for sure what they were doing up there. A large orange crane was tearing another hole thru the upper deck along the 3rd base side of the building. From River Avenue, you can now see under the belly of the RF upper deck, as the end of the right field stands is now exposed. So all you 'cat(walk) people' are going to be in your GLORY, as you can see inside!!

Pics to follow by day's end.
              ------------------------------------------
              www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
              www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
              www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Originally posted by kobathecat
                Probably to prevent an accidental, rolling collapse . . ..
                Those cuts are probably along expansion joints to not only do as you suggested but also to isolate vibrations form a section being demolished to those still standing. To call this demo a high-wire act with that cable-supported cantilever would be an understatement.

Comment

• Nice pics Secret77. A closer look at the catwalks and I'm still not convinced they're from OYS 1923-73.

BTW, where is that half Yankee logo located?

Comment

• Originally posted by Swoboda4 View Post
                    I used to be the chairman of a local Landmarks Preservation Board, so I can give a little insight to the process. The age of the building is not a hard and fast disqualifier, necessarily. This is copied from our FAQ:

"What is a Landmark?
                    A landmark is an individual property that has been designated by the City Council.
                    Under the Landmarks Ordinance, a landmark must:
                    - be associated with persons or events of significance to the city, region, state, or nation;
                    - be illustrative of historic growth and development of the city, region, state, or nation;
                    - embody specific characteristics of a type, period or method of construction, or
                    represent the work of a master; or
                    - contain unique architectural, archeological, or artistic qualities."

So if we go line by line, YS 1973
                    - be associated with persons or events of significance to the city, region, state, or nation;
                    Babe Ruth alone would get this box checked
                    - be illustrative of historic growth and development of the city, region, state, or nation;
                    Definitely a pivotal development in Bronx history
                    - embody specific characteristics of a type, period or method of construction, or
                    Yep,
                    Yep, again. First triple decked stadium, and the frieze would get the unique architectural box checked

So, obviously, 1973 YS would have been a slam dunk landmark candidate.

The $64,000 question is whether 1976 YS is a landmark. Well, based on the above criteria, it would, but a very credible counter argument would be brought about the extensive renovations. Another criteria is whether the building was "substantially altered" sufficient to either "render it unrecognizable to its original occupants" or (and this might be the killer) whether it was stripped of its "unique architectural, archeological, or artistic qualities"

RYS might be considered "recognizable", but only barely. You would have to focus your argument to the board on its historical significance. RYS would get hooted out of the building on purely architectural grounds. Every "unique architectural, archeological, or artistic qualities" was removed in the renovation.

An interesting argument could be made that RYS was a significant, unique, example of 1970's architecture. That would be fun to argue.
                    Yankee Stadium 1976

Although the building was renovated, the building still sits on the exact same plot of land.
                    I would think that Babe Ruth would still be relevant as well as other Yankee greats and events that happened on that plot of land within the confines of Yankee Stadium.

Again the existing plot of land and site never changed and the building of Yankee Stadium was a direct result of the growing Bronx Community.

The renovation was considered an engineering marvel with the removal of the columns and the cantilevering of the structure maintaining the unique characteristics and shape of Yankee Stadium.

Still maintained the first triple deck status and the concrete frieze would have to be considered a unique architectural element once it reached 30 years old. We may know it as a replica, however the original does not exist so this changes the status of the concrete frieze.
                    The "unique architectural, archeological, or artistic qualities" would be the concrete frieze. The past copper frieze should not be considered at all.

Another criteria is whether the building was "substantially altered" sufficient to either "render it unrecognizable to its original occupants"
                    I guess this would be a matter of opinion. If you were walking along the exterior of Yankee Stadium it would have to be recognizable to the original occupants. Minus the famous pods. The interior look had changed, however how would it have looked with the removal of the aluminum that was hiding the exposed steel structure.

Every "unique architectural, archeological, or artistic qualities" was removed in the renovation.
                    Not all.....The unique exterior walls including Gate 2 and the unique concrete frieze

Yankee Stadium was a Landmark. Whether is was granted Landmark status or not.
                    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM.
                    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                      Nice pics Secret77. A closer look at the catwalks and I'm still not convinced they're from OYS 1923-73.

BTW, where is that half Yankee logo located?
                      Yankee logo is on the outside wall of what's left of the bleacher section, facing the street. A good portion of the bleachers are now completely gone, and this section was being worked on, so should be next to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
                        I'm back from my trip to The Bronx. The first thing I noticed today is that the black veil DIRECTLY in front of Gate 2 has been removed. I take that as being, quite possibly, a GOOD sign. Why would they remove the veil (which is supposed to contain airbourne construction debris) from outside a building that is supposed to be razed, UNLESS that part of the building is NOT going to be razed. right? I think it's encouraging for the 'Save Gate 2' camp, anyway. There were a couple workers working on the outside scaffolding way up top & just past Gate 2. Couldn't tell for sure what they were doing up there. A large orange crane was tearing another hole thru the upper deck along the 3rd base side of the building. From River Avenue, you can now see under the belly of the RF upper deck, as the end of the right field stands is now exposed. So all you 'cat(walk) people' are going to be in your GLORY, as you can see inside!!

Pics to follow by day's end.
                        Richie

Can't wait to see your pics !

For some strange reason, I now think that Gate 2 will be saved. I have no proof, just my opinion.

It will at least be better than a sign on a crime ridden housing project like the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field!

Comment

• Nice pictures secret77! Maybe too nice, maybe I don't need to go up there anymore! :ooo:

Big revelations from those shots is that we see the first cracks in the "wall" on the right field end, and the removal of the rest of the bleacher structure closest to right field. It will be interesting to see what kind of views I can get from across River Avenue, although it may not be that big a difference because of the height of the blue wooden fence.
                          X
                          What's THAT guy doing?
                          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by secret77 View Post
                            Yankee logo is on the outside wall of what's left of the bleacher section, facing the street. A good portion of the bleachers are now completely gone, and this section was being worked on, so should be next to go.
                            Thanks man. The bleacher wall is what I figured. I'd love to see what that logo looked like in glorious color bf the renovation. Looks like it was quite detailed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                              Nice pictures secret77! Maybe too nice, maybe I don't need to go up there anymore! :ooo:

Big revelations from those shots is that we see the first cracks in the "wall" on the right field end, and the removal of the rest of the bleacher structure closest to right field. It will be interesting to see what kind of views I can get from across River Avenue, although it may not be that big a difference because of the height of the blue wooden fence.
                              Patience, my friend .... that's one place where I set up shop this afternoon, Gary.
                              www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                              www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                              www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                                Nice pics Secret77. A closer look at the catwalks and I'm still not convinced they're from OYS 1923-73.
                                I'm more convinced than ever that they are NOT. These look purpose built to tool around inside the upper deck. Why would there be perpendicular catwalks INSIDE the deck? AFAIK there was no standing room on the 3B side prior to the LF extensions... the lower wall did not extend higher than the field seats, unlike the RF side.

I think the catwalks are in there, but these ain't them.
                                Last edited by giantsean; 03-05-2010, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X