Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    Hello All,

Just wanted to let everyone know the New York City Parks Departments plan for the Existing Yankee Stadium site.
    On February 22, 2010 the plan was giving preliminary approval by the New York City Design Commission, subject to further review and final approval at a later date.

The plan does not include the Preservation of Gate 2 or anything tangible from the original Yankee Stadium structure.

The plan will include :

-an outline of the post renovated field in dark green grass or artificial turf.

-Two pieces of the concrete frieze from the Modernization of Yankee Stadium, as well as the smokestack bat.

-The pedestrian walkway along Ruppert Place will include historical moments imbedded within the sidewalk.

-Viewfinders located within the park that will depict photographic slides of the Stadium at or near home plate.

-A few sections of replica WIRE friezes placed on top of poles and running in the general area of the location of the bleachers.

-A WIRE fence in the general area of the post renovated outfield with famous Yankee quotes.

-Clusters of WIRE seats mounted on poles and placed around the park

The photo enclosed is not a Joke....I repeat not a Joke. The New York City Design Commission loved the idea and approved it!

A higher power has been working agianst Saving Gate 2. He lives in Tampa. He thinks his name carries more significance than the Yankee name. The removal of the scaffolding has me worried about what may happen to Gate 2 along with that yellow rope riding along the exterior wall. Speak up now

I for one will not except flying seats to carry the legacy of Yankee Stadium.

We are still actively fighting to Save Gate 2. Without any media attention the Gates fate is doomed!
    That looks like hell. And an artificial turf field? What are they smoking???

Comment

• Originally posted by MarcianoNY View Post
      That looks like hell. And an artificial turf field? What are they smoking???
      I was in attendance for the New York City Design Commission meeting on February 22, 2010. The original slides shown have not been provided to the public as of yet.
      The photo enclosed in my past post represents the Parks idea and resembles the slides actually shown at City Hall.

Flying Clusters of seats are part of the plan to represent the immense size of Yankee Stadium.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 03-05-2010, 03:09 PM.
      Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• I honestly didn't even notice the yellow cord/rope until I downloaded the photos on my computer. It looks more like a power line to me, else maybe a thick rope to me. With that said, the point raised by Bobby & others that the removal of the black screen & scaffold that it was attached to could indeed mean that they are planning on taking down Gate 2 very soon. Having to leave it up & work around it, I'm sure, is NOT something Turner & Company will want to do. So you KNOW the minute they have a chance to legally knock it down, they will. Once it's down, the movement dies & they don't have to worry about it anymore. Problem solved.
        ------------------------------------------
        www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
        www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
        www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

I was in attendance for the New York City Design Commission meeting on February 22, 2010. The original slides shown have not been provided to the public as of yet.
          The photo enclosed in my past post represents the Parks idea and resembles the slides actually shown at City Hall.

Flying Clusters of seats are part of the plan to represent the immense size of Yankee Stadium.
          Sounds more like a CLUSTER F**K to me!! If this plan winds up being the final tribute to "The House That Ruth Built", everyone who runs both the City of New York & the Yankees who COULD have demanded better but didn't fight hard enough for a better tribute, thus letting THIS plan be the 'winner', should be hang their head in absolute shame. All the wire fences sound SO beautiful & 'park-like', don't they? Also, wonder how many HOURS (not days) it will take for the two facade pieces to get 'tagged' if you place them right there on the ground?!

Dumb Asses!
          Last edited by RichieA13; 03-05-2010, 02:27 PM.
          www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Swoboda4 View Post
            No doubt about it. While opponents would (did) focus on the architectural changes, the historical significance trumps them.

A winning argument could still be made to landmark gate 2, in my opinion. That would stop demo on gate 2, but I am sure the Board is in the tank for full demo. The minute a landmark request was filed on behalf of gate 2, I envision an "unfortunate accident" befalling gate 2. Yonkers Raceway demolished their original grandstand the moment there was suggestion that someone would file a landmark request, rather than have to deal with maintaining it.
            We tried landmarking Nationally and recieved messages stating that Based on the information
            received to date, we do not believe the stadium meets
            the criteria for Landmark designation.
            Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• I was looking thru the rest of the photos I shot at Gate 2 today & after blowing one image up a bit, the "yellow rope" appears to be just a water hose, not something that is getting ready to pull the gate down.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by RichieA13; 03-05-2010, 02:44 PM.
              www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Sorry to say, but I also think Gate 2 is doomed, taking down the black veil is not a good sign. I hope I'm wrong also, those Gate 2 proposals look awesome.

Comment

• Fridays steel structure revelations are so cool.

Big thanks to those who've been providing the fresh pics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celerino Sanchez View Post
                    Sorry to say, but I also think Gate 2 is doomed, taking down the black veil is not a good sign. I hope I'm wrong also, those Gate 2 proposals look awesome.
                    A lot of hard work has been put in by the efforts of all trying to Save Gate 2. Anymore effort and we would have to be placed on the payroll.

Flying seat clusters was the best they could do to Commemorate Yankee Stadium. If the Design Commission and or Parks department didn't have the issue of preserving Gate 2 the Parks original proposal would have been rubber stamped. This was mentioned by one of the members of the Design Commission during the meeting on February 22. The original plan had something like painting light posts to replicate foul poles and using the same font used on the Yankee Stadium outfield walls to replicate wall distances, speakers in key spots throughout the park that would tell Yankee history with the press of a button, the concrete frieze, and other poorly planned tributes I just don't recall at the present time. I have them saved on the computer and will check sometime Saturday.

By the way......The Design Commissioners eat popcorn and teach others how to work there blackberries while people of the public give there 3 minute testimony. And the ones that don't choose to eat popcorn get up and go to the bathroom.
                    8 members of the public spoke totaling 24 minutes. How hard would it be to treat people with respect for 24 minutes.
                    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 03-05-2010, 04:22 PM.
                    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

• the best ideas are the simplest ones - k.i.s.s.
                      the turd in the punchbowl
                      reality really sucks.
                      enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                        the best ideas are the simplest ones - k.i.s.s.
                        I agree. I think everyone would be happy with just the gate, and then a nice park that is just that, a park; not a theme park of kitschy post-renovation crap stuck out of the ground all over the place like random birthday cake decorations. If they do "accidentally" knock down Gate 2, I'd rather they just put up a nice plaque, like one of the monument park ones, and save the corny stuff.

Comment

Hello All,

Just wanted to let everyone know the New York City Parks Departments plan for the Existing Yankee Stadium site.
                          On February 22, 2010 the plan was giving preliminary approval by the New York City Design Commission, subject to further review and final approval at a later date.
                          Hey!
                          I'm on this breaking story! My old girlfriend from high school is a landscape architect for the city of NY parks dept. I'm pretty sure she is designing the landscaping for this project. I have an email into her. I'll see what she knows.
                          Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• I drove by the stadiums the other day while on my down to NYC. I haven't had a chance to stop down since fall. Its sad to see it go but its kind of cool to watch the demolition. So far I haven't been too surprised with much. It seems alot of the original stadium was gutted in 74. The red catwalks should be saved, atleast a few of them. I would have been cool if the yankees kept certain things and put them on display in NYS, there certainly have the room. I still don't understand why the frieze in RYS wasn't transfered to NYS. As a kid I honestly believed for a while that the frieze was a section of the original. The towers around the staidum was what failed RYS. The exterior never should have never been touched. I always saw RYS as a 70s stadium. It was boarded up with cinder blocks. From the pictures ive seen of OYS the concourses were open. But the 70s was a werid decade for designs.
                            The issues I have with NYS is that there are too many screens everywhere. I like an old fashion score board, 1 reasonable size jumbo screen, and video boards like RYS on each deck. But its bombards you with lights and sounds. It looks tacky with the video board on the face of the entire upper deck. And center field should be just monument park with a nice black batters eye like OYS. Other wise I enjoy the new venues like more bathrooms, open concourse & food options (the prices are very inflated though!). I think im going to miss the pitch of the upper deck, the sea of seats, seeing the court building in the back round. But I always thought RYS was not too appealing from the outside. I think once RYS is down, hopefully gate 2 is preserved. I would be a nice gateway into the park and it really doesnt take up much room. We have nothing left standing of the polo ground, ebbets, comisky, tiger stadium, it seems people dont want to remember history to teach to future generations. The new park across the street will make NYS stand on it own and give the area a nice atmosphere. At least there not building apartment buildings on top of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
                              Hey!
                              I'm on this breaking story! My old girlfriend from high school is a landscape architect for the city of NY parks dept. I'm pretty sure she is designing the landscaping for this project. I have an email into her. I'll see what she knows.
                              Hey Doc....Keep me up to date with the information you find out from your old girlfriend. We have requested the copies of the recnt proposed Parks plan via FOIL.
                              Parks hired a private firm for The Commemorations aspects of the project. So far they have failed miserably. Thanks.

Ask her if she knows anyone who works at the Arsenal in Central Park?
                              Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

• Sorry for coming off a little naive on this because I'm sure it's been written about before and I just haven't taken the time to read it, but what is the significance of Gate 2 and saving it? Is it also not a part of what was the additions added on several years after the stadium was first constructed? If it was wouldn't more people be interested in saving the main gate entrance in back of home plate as opposed to gate 2?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X