Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jim, Gate 2 is the only entrance left that closely resembles OYS. The bottom portion goes back to '23, the very top to '76, and everything in between to 1928. You'd have to go back to the old photos to see exactly what I mean, and I haven't seen any close-up shots from '23, only long or aerial shots. The other two entrances are long gone. They were removed and replaced with the escalator pods behind the plate and in RF. They are NOT hiding behind those pods, waiting to be revealed. I've always felt that the entire exterior wall should remain, minus the upper deck, and shops and restaurants be built there. It would be basically using the Field level concourse for new businesses, accessible from outside. Of course it would take away a bit of parkland, but I still think they could fit three fields there. And probably more important, fans would spend money there instead of inside NYS. I'm sure that's why it never happened. But wouldn't it be cool to walk past the exterior of OYS/RYS on our way to NYS?
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

    Comment


    • this thing is really coming down.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
        Hey Doc....Keep me up to date with the information you find out from your old girlfriend. We have requested the copies of the recnt proposed Parks plan via FOIL.
        Parks hired a private firm for The Commemorations aspects of the project. So far they have failed miserably. Thanks.

        Ask her if she knows anyone who works at the Arsenal in Central Park?
        I'll let you know. Sometimes it takes as long as a couple weeks for her to write back. She isn't addicted to the internet like I am.
        Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

        Comment


        • old gate 2 3.JPGYankee1961.jpgold gate 2.jpgold gate 2 2.JPG
          Originally posted by The Monument View Post
          Jim, Gate 2 is the only entrance left that closely resembles OYS. The bottom portion goes back to '23, the very top to '76, and everything in between to 1928. You'd have to go back to the old photos to see exactly what I mean, and I haven't seen any close-up shots from '23, only long or aerial shots. The other two entrances are long gone. They were removed and replaced with the escalator pods behind the plate and in RF. They are NOT hiding behind those pods, waiting to be revealed. I've always felt that the entire exterior wall should remain, minus the upper deck, and shops and restaurants be built there. It would be basically using the Field level concourse for new businesses, accessible from outside. Of course it would take away a bit of parkland, but I still think they could fit three fields there. And probably more important, fans would spend money there instead of inside NYS. I'm sure that's why it never happened. But wouldn't it be cool to walk past the exterior of OYS/RYS on our way to NYS?
          Here's Gate 2 from some different perspectives - though you're right it's hard to find closeups pre-extension. It's even harder to visualize since the old and remodeled bleachers are so different, but hopefully this can give the OP an idea of what you mean

          Comment


          • June 15, 1928:



            Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 03-06-2010, 05:30 AM.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
              Fridays steel structure revelations are so cool.

              Big thanks to those who've been providing the fresh pics.
              I'm sorry I forgot to say this also. You guys are doing a great job. Thank you also.
              Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

              Comment


              • I too was at the hearing and testified before the NYC Design Commission. It was completely unprofessional in every way. James Stuckey, the head of the committee should be embarrassed. I can confrim they spent more time on their BalcBerries and eating popcorn and eating cookies than they did listening to our testimony. They had clearly already decided before the hearing even started. 2 members did get up and leave the room during the testimony. They gave some fake, phony speeches at the end, talking directly about the wire seats and facade. These items will make a complete mockery of the stadium, and they never once asked about cost...one of the biggest arguments against saving Gate 2. It is really sad that politics will prevent the one original piece of Old Yankee Stadium from being preserved. Benepe, Bloomberg, and the entire Design Commission should be ashamed that they have decided not to save even one single piece from the greatest venue even built in the history of the United States. Only Gate 2 would have properly honored this great stadium.

                -----------------------------------------------------------
                Brad's Ultimate New York Yankees Website

                website - www.HistoryOfTheYankees.com
                blog - http://historyoftheyankees.blogspot.com/

                Comment


                • Gate 2 is in better shape than that Town Car at lower center frame. LOL!!
                  RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

                  NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

                  RYS: "No, I am your father..."

                  NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

                  RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by HistoryOfTheYankees View Post
                    I too was at the hearing and testified before the NYC Design Commission. It was completely unprofessional in every way. James Stuckey, the head of the committee should be embarrassed. I can confrim they spent more time on their BalcBerries and eating popcorn and eating cookies than they did listening to our testimony. They had clearly already decided before the hearing even started. 2 members did get up and leave the room during the testimony. They gave some fake, phony speeches at the end, talking directly about the wire seats and facade. These items will make a complete mockery of the stadium, and they never once asked about cost...one of the biggest arguments against saving Gate 2. It is really sad that politics will prevent the one original piece of Old Yankee Stadium from being preserved. Benepe, Bloomberg, and the entire Design Commission should be ashamed that they have decided not to save even one single piece from the greatest venue even built in the history of the United States. Only Gate 2 would have properly honored this great stadium.


                    Absolutely beautiful! It makes PERFECT sense to do this, so that's why the City of New York WON'T!!!!
                    I am SO glad I am not a NYC resident anymore ..... probably the WORST run city in the country!
                    ------------------------------------------
                    www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                    www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                    www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

                    ------------------------------------------

                    Comment


                    • The video is completely doable!

                      A little more reinforcement of G2 from behind probably necessary, and I don't know if as much of that Frieze could extend around it, but I don't know what the city's problem is. The Bat/smokestack is not enough to memorialize Yankee Stadium. Nowhere else could such a small piece of YS impart so much scale to what used to stand there as could Gate 2.

                      Bravo!
                      RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

                      NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

                      RYS: "No, I am your father..."

                      NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

                      RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
                        I'm sorry I forgot to say this also. You guys are doing a great job. Thank you also.

                        My pleasure, guys .... I am happy to do my part to help 'the team' here.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                        www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                        www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

                        ------------------------------------------

                        Comment


                        • Dear Friends,

                          As we all know, George Steinbrenner has wanted a new stadium for years. I wonder if he and Hal and Hank Steinbrenner feel that saving Gate 2 would detract from the new Yankee Stadium, which could also be seen as a monument to the Steinbrenner family. And, I wonder what sort of deal they have with Mayor Bloomberg, since they are both rich and powerful.

                          Common sense dictates that Yankee Stadium's Gate 2 should be saved as a permanent monument, since it's arguable that Yankee Stadium is perhaps the most historic building in New York City, and one of the most historic in the United States. Even though the full Gate 2 is not from 1923, it should ALL be saved because it's ALL from the original Yankee Stadium. It represents the true majesty and grandeur of The House That Ruth Built.

                          With the lack of respect by the NYC Design Commission paid to intelligent people who have put their hearts and souls into creating a very intelligent and working solution that would be reasonable for all sides, that's proof that they're in on this political conspiracy. Going to the bathroom and playing with their Blackberries is not the way to treat anyone who has reasonable solutions to problems. That, and the TRASH design thought up by the Parks Department that will not last are blasphemous to historic preservation, and the honor that Yankee Stadium has given to the Bronx, New York, and the United States.

                          -Mike Wagner

                          Comment


                          • I was up at YS this morning and took a bunch of pics. Nothing really new to report. Regretfully, the Manhattan bound 4 platform was closed, so I couldn't get any of the real good angles.
                            I'm uploading them to the website (www.stadiumpage.com) now, they should be available by 3:30/3:45PM Eastern Time.
                            StadiumPage.com
                            Stadium Google Map

                            Comment


                            • Everything is up on www.StadiumPage.com now. Nothing too groundbreaking, but with the sunny day the pictures came out quite nice.
                              Feel free to repost whatever you want here.

                              I also ventured across the East River and found the Old Polo Grounds stairwell and home plate marker. Cool stuff. That will be on the site later today.
                              StadiumPage.com
                              Stadium Google Map

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                                With the lack of respect by the NYC Design Commission paid to intelligent people who have put their hearts and souls into creating a very intelligent and working solution that would be reasonable for all sides, that's proof that they're in on this political conspiracy.
                                welcome to the real world of government. did the thought ever occur that maybe there are those who don't care about sports, baseball or the nyy's? they do exist and have power...
                                the turd in the punchbowl
                                reality really sucks.
                                enjoy the game more...

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X