X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad, Welcome to BF- finally!

Comment

• Originally posted by HistoryOfTheYankees View Post
      I too was at the hearing and testified before the NYC Design Commission. It was completely unprofessional in every way. James Stuckey, the head of the committee should be embarrassed. I can confrim they spent more time on their BalcBerries and eating popcorn and eating cookies than they did listening to our testimony. They had clearly already decided before the hearing even started. 2 members did get up and leave the room during the testimony. They gave some fake, phony speeches at the end, talking directly about the wire seats and facade. These items will make a complete mockery of the stadium, and they never once asked about cost...one of the biggest arguments against saving Gate 2. It is really sad that politics will prevent the one original piece of Old Yankee Stadium from being preserved. Benepe, Bloomberg, and the entire Design Commission should be ashamed that they have decided not to save even one single piece from the greatest venue even built in the history of the United States. Only Gate 2 would have properly honored this great stadium.

I also forgot to mention that one of the slides shown during the power point presentation had a slogan on the replica wire fence that is supposed to have Famous Yankee quotes.
      However, the slogan mounted on the fence was "sometimes it rains sometimes it pours sometimes it......"

When this slide was shown a few Design Commission members stated "Oh we love that slogan"
      When I heard them say that I knew the fix was in. I bet the firm in charge of the Commemoration Program had been in contact with the DC before the meeting to work out some kind of aesthetically pleasing plan that would receive preliminary approval.

Also one of the DC members stated that" baseball spans generations" and "sometimes having an illusion of what actually existed on the site was better then seeing the real thing"

Do you remember hearing this at the Meeting historyoftheYankees?
      Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
        welcome to the real world of government. did the thought ever occur that maybe there are those who don't care about sports, baseball or the nyy's? they do exist and have power...
        This is the problem with the Yankee Stadium issue.

Yankee Stadium has never just been about Baseball!

Yeah....Maybe during the Steinbrenner era....And that was evident with the lack of respect given to other great moments at Yankee Stadium during the Final season.

You would have thought that the Yankees could have set aside a Saturday afternoon in late August to celebrate other significant events that were hosted at Yankee Stadium.
        I'm not going to mention all, however seems pretty simple to me that the Yankees or the City could have honored members of the 1958 Championship game played at Yankee Stadium. It was the 50th Anniversary!

The Mets honored the 40th Anniversary of the Jets at Shea Stadium during the 2008 season.

Anyway Yankee Stadium was more than a baseball Stadium. It was also a gathering place that was an intricate part of the growth of New York City and the Bronx Community.

Besides, what does liking baseball have to do with anything.....As a public member you have to have an open mind.

You might fit in quite nicely with the Design Commissioners....Do you like Popcorn?
        Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 03-06-2010, 03:05 PM.
        Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• You're absolutely right, Mike. It's never been about just baseball. But too many people only remember baseball. They forget about football, soccer, three papal visits, NYU graduation, boxing matches, basketball, the Jehovah's Whiteness rallies, the circus, bike racing, Billy Graham, Billy Joel (and numerous other concerts) and perhaps most importantly in recent memory: 9/11.

I know I've posted this before, but I can't resist posting it again. Even if you don't care to watch the message from our committee about Gate 2, please watch the first few minutes to see photos of the Stadium's history.

Richard
          www.savetheyankeegate2.com

P.S. - To those who have taken some fantastic shots of the demolition, would you mind if I used them for a new video I'm working on? You would be credited, of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
            Anyway Yankee Stadium was more than a baseball Stadium.
            Besides, what does liking baseball have to do with anything.....As a public member you have to have an open mind.
            You might fit in quite nicely with the Design Commissioners....Do you like Popcorn?
            getting a little testy, eh?
            to many in the nyc metro area it is just a baseball stadium and you have to accept that fact, because it is.
            just because you have immersed yourself in this does not mean that the whole world will also.

as far as "open minds" go, when a mayor who says that he holds no allegiance to anyone and then strong-arms the legislature into abolishing rules that other mayors lived by, don't be surprised if local government isn't responsive to what you want.
            by nyc voters allowing their representatives to abolish term limits, the door is now open to local government run by and for those with biggest checkbooks.

i learned long ago that what i want and what is attainable in the real world are not always gonna be the same.
            as i've stated before, my parents met there (stadium), got married while working there but even they would now say - it's time to move on.
            they also made sure that their kids knew that major league baseball and the nyy are a business and oys is a place of business.
            but they also instilled in us the joy of playing the game, which i still do...
            Last edited by Paul W; 03-06-2010, 04:21 PM.
            the turd in the punchbowl
            reality really sucks.
            enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Has the Gate 2 movement tried contacting Bob Costas ? He is the unofficial keeper of baseball's golden age. He would be someone who may be able to help the cause.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                Jim, Gate 2 is the only entrance left that closely resembles OYS. The bottom portion goes back to '23, the very top to '76, and everything in between to 1928. You'd have to go back to the old photos to see exactly what I mean, and I haven't seen any close-up shots from '23, only long or aerial shots. The other two entrances are long gone. They were removed and replaced with the escalator pods behind the plate and in RF. They are NOT hiding behind those pods, waiting to be revealed. I've always felt that the entire exterior wall should remain, minus the upper deck, and shops and restaurants be built there. It would be basically using the Field level concourse for new businesses, accessible from outside. Of course it would take away a bit of parkland, but I still think they could fit three fields there. And probably more important, fans would spend money there instead of inside NYS. I'm sure that's why it never happened. But wouldn't it be cool to walk past the exterior of OYS/RYS on our way to NYS?
                Gotcha Momument, thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celerino Sanchez View Post
                  Has the Gate 2 movement tried contacting Bob Costas ? He is the unofficial keeper of baseball's golden age. He would be someone who may be able to help the cause.
                  he lives in st. louis and has a life.
                  btw - the joke around nbc sports for years was "want to empty a room fast? have costas walk in...."
                  reality really sucks.
                  enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                    You're absolutely right, Mike. It's never been about just baseball. But too many people only remember baseball. They forget about football, soccer, three papal visits, NYU graduation, boxing matches, basketball, the Jehovah's Whiteness rallies, the circus, bike racing, Billy Graham, Billy Joel (and numerous other concerts) and perhaps most importantly in recent memory: 9/11.

I know I've posted this before, but I can't resist posting it again. Even if you don't care to watch the message from our committee about Gate 2, please watch the first few minutes to see photos of the Stadium's history.

Richard
                    www.savetheyankeegate2.com

P.S. - To those who have taken some fantastic shots of the demolition, would you mind if I used them for a new video I'm working on? You would be credited, of course.

Hey Richard.Nice video....

Check out the thread Brad just started on Baseball fever.

Gate 2 at Old Yankee Stadium and the Battle Against New York City
                    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

• While I do not like that the stadium is being torn down in its entirety, I will support the preservation of Gate 2.

Ideally, it would be great if they could restore the stadium to its original 1923 dimensions and reduce it to a two level stadium( keep the outer walls at its current height. And the upper deck is unrealistic to save anyway). The community has the park, the kids get to play on the same field as many legendary Yankees, and Yankee Stadium is left standing though with a partial demo.

In a more realistic plan if they kept Gate 4 and 6 the same during the renovation, it would be keep Gates 2,4, and 6 as entrances to Heritage Park.

It disgusts me though how many historic stadiums have been demoed with nothing much to remember them by. Even Baltimore tore down the Memorial section of Memorial Stadium. It disgusts me Baltimore did that and it will disgust me that NYC is not willing to save any part of Yankee Stadium.

And thanks to everyone here who has gone to the stadium and has taken pics of the demolition.
                      Last edited by quagmire; 03-06-2010, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                        he lives in st. louis and has a life.
                        btw - the joke around nbc sports for years was "want to empty a room fast? have costas walk in...."
                        But he grew up in NYC (at least some). He told a story in Ken Burns' Baseball that on one of his first trips to OYS, he was inconsolable because he thought there were really people buried in Monument Park.

Comment

• The upper deck seating sections between 20 and 24 are down. Strangely, the seating sections between 24 and 32 are still standing. Pictures to come, including some night views... be patient and they will come.

I presume these sections came down yesterday (3/6/10) but it could have happened the day before.
                          X
                          What's THAT guy doing?
                          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Costas is collecting a big check from MLB for his work on MLB. The days of Bob Costas screaming from the rooftops taking controversial stands are probably over. He was wrong about the wildcard and the expanded playoff tier, but I always admired his principled stand. Except for the Olympics and 20 football games a year the sports division at NBC has been gutted and the MLB Network is now his grandest stage and I don't envision him upsetting the applecart.

I think he'd make a great commissioner. MLB desperately needs a strong commissioner. Outside of about 10 cities baseball is kinda hurting and the tv ratings substantiate this and baseball needs a shot in the arm in many, many parts of this country.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkAudit View Post
                              But he grew up in NYC (at least some). He told a story in Ken Burns' Baseball that on one of his first trips to OYS, he was inconsolable because he thought there were really people buried in Monument Park.
                              he was a small kid when that thought crossed his then undeveloped mind, i'm sure he knows better now.
                              btw - i don't this he ever grew tall enough to ever see over those monuments...

oh, and he grew up on long island
                              reality really sucks.
                              enjoy the game more...

Comment

• First batch of pictures from Saturday are now up on Flickr. Here's a sample...

More to come...
                                X
                                What's THAT guy doing?
                                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X