Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
    You're absolutely right, Mike. It's never been about just baseball. But too many people only remember baseball. They forget about football, soccer, three papal visits, NYU graduation, boxing matches, basketball, the Jehovah's Whiteness rallies, the circus, bike racing, Billy Graham, Billy Joel (and numerous other concerts) and perhaps most importantly in recent memory: 9/11.

I know I've posted this before, but I can't resist posting it again. Even if you don't care to watch the message from our committee about Gate 2, please watch the first few minutes to see photos of the Stadium's history.

Richard
    www.savetheyankeegate2.com

P.S. - To those who have taken some fantastic shots of the demolition, would you mind if I used them for a new video I'm working on? You would be credited, of course.

You have my permission to use any of my shots, Richard.
    ------------------------------------------
    www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
    www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
    www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• March 6,2010 @5:30 PM:

Comment

• Rendering, accent on buildings:
        Bobby Jackson,worlds worst cell phone stadium photographer:

Comment

• [QUOTE=Paul W;1700482]he lives in st. louis and has a life.

As opposed to living on the west coast and having no life ?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
            Well one thing for sure, this guy was way off the mark on Yankee Stadium, way off.
            Was this written by a great great uncle of Mike Lupica?

Comment

• Before & after (3/5/10 & 3/6/10)

About 24 hours between shots...........
              Attached Files
              www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• [QUOTE=Celerino Sanchez;1700677]
                Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                he lives in st. louis and has a life.

As opposed to living on the west coast and having no life ?
                very intelligent, it's almost too easy to get you guys riled up.
                a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent...
                the turd in the punchbowl
                reality really sucks.
                enjoy the game more...

Comment

• [QUOTE=Mike Wagner;1700611... for their total lack of respect towards people who met with them to save Gate 2..../QUOTE]

long rants and conspiracy theories are what made ted kaczynski famous, if you want those in power to take you seriously:

scale back the rehoritic and what you want done

get a realistic cost analysis for this and then come up with a way to pay for it from private sources that has backing (eg: money already in an account)

start this 3-4 years ago when the plans were formulated at nyc parks, you're standing on the dock and the ship has long sailed. nyc parks probably has
                  had contracts let out for this project for some time, these things don't happen overnight and if nyc parks dept. changes those legally binding contracts
                  the taxpayers can and will be liable for the costs of legal actions by the contractors and the monetary damages they will be awarded.
                  this is how it works in the real world...
                  the turd in the punchbowl
                  reality really sucks.
                  enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by secret77 View Post
                    From Today's Daily News:

Wow, those are great shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralf View Post
                      Wow, those are great shots.
                      Not to mention... ummm... catwalks!

Upside-down smashed and mangled catwalks

Comment

• This photo by Gary D nicely shows how they're bringing the sections down. After sectioning the deck, and attaching the cables that direct the fall toward the field, the support columns are being cut. Note how the upper columns seem to have been split vertically (probably an "S" cut) and lower ones cut horizontally. These are too clean to have just fractured that way- they have to have been cut. The workers probably leave a little bit of each column intact to keep it from coming down on them. Then all that's left is to give it a yank on the cables, and voila!
                        Attached Files
                        First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• I find it interesting that the whole old concourse level / new mechanical level was fenced off inside even though "the door" was there.
                          ------------
                          I have been to:

Citi Field, Shea, NYS, RYS, PNC, Fenway, AT&T, CBP, Rangers Ballpark, Minute Maid Park, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, PETCO Park, Coors, Chase Field, Turner, Miami, [email protected], U.S.F., Comerica, Nationals Park, GABP, Progressive, Trop, Miller, Oakland-A C., Dolphin, RFK, Olympic Stadium, Metrodome

Comment

• [QUOTE=Paul W;1700711]
                            Originally posted by Celerino Sanchez View Post

very intelligent, it's almost too easy to get you guys riled up.
                            a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent...
                            LOL ...... I went back and read some of your posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by CHiller View Post
                              This photo by Gary D nicely shows how they're bringing the sections down. After sectioning the deck, and attaching the cables that direct the fall toward the field, the support columns are being cut. Note how the upper columns seem to have been split vertically (probably an "S" cut) and lower ones cut horizontally. These are too clean to have just fractured that way- they have to have been cut. The workers probably leave a little bit of each column intact to keep it from coming down on them. Then all that's left is to give it a yank on the cables, and voila!
                              That's an interesting observation, CHiller.

When I was there on Friday, there was a guy in a cherry picker who was working a torch in the RF corner, just a few sections down from the RF catwalks thats I posted on Friday. I didn't post either of the two shots I took of him because the flame off his torch messed up my camera's focus, yielding blurry photos on both attempts. Here is the clearer of the two photos. Assuming that this guy is S-cutting the beams as you suggest, the RF corner deck might be the next one to be pulled down.
                              Attached Files
                              www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X