Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
    Another section of the upper deck was torn down. Pictures from the WCBS site.
    Well, somewhere in that mass of twisted metal and broken concrete is the location of the seat I had at the last game I attended at the old Stadium. It was the game vs. the Mets on 6/27/2008 when Delgado had 9 RBIs, and nearly hit the back wall of the bleachers (behind the black section) on a fly with one of his two homers.

    I loved how you felt like you were floating out over the field in the YS upper deck. Nothing else like it anywhere. The steepness of the deck contributed to that feeling. It also contributed to one of the most horrifying things I ever saw at a ballpark. Some guy coming down the stairs tripped near the top of the deck, and started cartwheeling downward. He was bouncing off people and seats on the way down, cartwheeling the whole way. He would have gone right over the edge, but on the last bounce he managed to turn himself lengthwise and he landed in the laps of people sitting in the second row. I don't think he was seriously hurt, as he got up and walked away with the security guards.
    First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Paul W View Post
      i did, sorry i couldn't bet back to you sooner but i was out makin' a livin'...

      you guys are so emotionally invested in this that you make it easy to poke.

      why so much emotion? did your parents work there? did you? i have more of a direct connection because of my parents, but i have learned to let go...
      Are you kidding me? You're "Mr. Met on the left coast". The people posting here are Yankee fans, many of whom have always lived in New York area. For their entire lives, they have had Yankee Stadium and being a Yankee fan as an important part of theiir daily lives. Maybe you're jaded because you worked there. We associate the Stadium with attending baseball games as fans with our friends and families.

      If you've "let go", then why can't you let go of visting this thread?
      sigpic

      Comment


      • Has anyone ever said if the large medallions could possibly be under the upper left and right renovated portions of the gate?

        [IMG][/IMG]
        Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

        Comment


        • What was in those little balcony/planter box like thingies on gate 2?

          They're on the third story of the three middle vents.

          Looks like they were always there and the other two gates had them at OYS.

          I assume they were just for looks and had no actual function.

          Comment


          • Dear Bobby,

            You've done a great job of photographing Gate 2. And, with a cell phone yet!!! To me, it looks as though you've done a fine job of capturing what Gate 2 looks like as a permanent monument. It's tall and imposing, and gives a great representation of the majesty of Yankee Stadium. It looks great!!!! Thank you, Bobby.

            Sincerely,
            Mike Wagner

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
              Has anyone ever said if the large medallions could possibly be under the upper left and right renovated portions of the gate?
              Max,

              I think when they showed the renovation pictures of the upperdeck everything above the top windows was cut off.

              Especially from the video on this page: http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...73-1975/page54
              ------------
              I have been to:

              Citi Field, Shea, NYS, RYS, PNC, Fenway, AT&T, CBP, Rangers Ballpark, Minute Maid Park, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, PETCO Park, Coors, Chase Field, Turner, Miami, [email protected], U.S.F., Comerica, Nationals Park, GABP, Progressive, Trop, Miller, Oakland-A C., Dolphin, RFK, Olympic Stadium, Metrodome

              Comment


              • Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                What was in those little balcony/planter box like thingies on gate 2?

                They're on the third story of the three middle vents.

                Looks like they were always there and the other two gates had them at OYS.

                I assume they were just for looks and had no actual function.
                I was able to look into them from the escalator pod back in 2008 and one had a baseball in it and some paper debris.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by cringey View Post
                  Max,

                  I think when they showed the renovation pictures of the upperdeck everything above the top windows was cut off.

                  Especially from the video on this page: http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...73-1975/page54
                  Yes you're right. There is a clear shot of it and they are gone. Oh well. Thanks.

                  The curse begins this year. 100 year WS draught starts nowr. You don't tear down the House That Ruth and not expect this. The old girl wanted to hear one more WS victory before she died. Now it's over.

                  It's true!
                  Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by CHiller View Post
                    Well, somewhere in that mass of twisted metal and broken concrete is the location of the seat I had at the last game I attended at the old Stadium. It was the game vs. the Mets on 6/27/2008 when Delgado had 9 RBIs, and nearly hit the back wall of the bleachers (behind the black section) on a fly with one of his two homers.

                    I loved how you felt like you were floating out over the field in the YS upper deck. Nothing else like it anywhere. The steepness of the deck contributed to that feeling. It also contributed to one of the most horrifying things I ever saw at a ballpark. Some guy coming down the stairs tripped near the top of the deck, and started cartwheeling downward. He was bouncing off people and seats on the way down, cartwheeling the whole way. He would have gone right over the edge, but on the last bounce he managed to turn himself lengthwise and he landed in the laps of people sitting in the second row. I don't think he was seriously hurt, as he got up and walked away with the security guards.
                    You answered your own question. His ashes sit on George's desk as we speak. After he was "helped" by security!!!! LOL
                    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by HistoryOfTheYankees View Post
                      ...
                      I just saw this video.

                      WOW

                      You guys are unbelieveable. I really liked that the old ticket booth was thrown in there in red. WOW WOW WOW!!!!:bowdown:

                      Great job guys. Truly a work of art.
                      Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

                      Comment


                      • Here's a close up on one of the three boxes on Gate 2. All three 'tablets' on all three planter boxes are configured exactly the same. On each side is a tablet with two baseballs on a scroll. The middle tablet is an interlocked "NY" on a scroll, resembling the early Yankee cap logo.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by RichieA13; 03-09-2010, 08:06 AM.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                        www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                        www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

                        ------------------------------------------

                        Comment


                        • I would like to buy an escalator pod and convert it into a house. Or maybe a Chirpin' Chicken. Yeah, go laugh. I'm the one that will be stylin' in a Pod. There are 2 left right?
                          Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                            Yes you're right. There is a clear shot of it and they are gone. Oh well. Thanks.

                            The curse begins this year. 100 year WS draught starts nowr. You don't tear down the House That Ruth and not expect this. The old girl wanted to hear one more WS victory before she died. Now it's over.

                            It's true!



                            Wouldn't the Yankees 2009 WS win sort of disprove your "truth"? When the Yankees won the WS, demolition of the stadium was well under way........

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by quagmire View Post
                              Wouldn't the Yankees 2009 WS win sort of disprove your "truth"? When the Yankees won the WS, demolition of the stadium was well under way........
                              Not really.....You can say that Yankee Stadium was the Yankees Good Luck charm and the Stadium was still standing and still intact in November 2009.
                              Maybe it was Ruth's last laugh....I guess we will see what the future holds for the New York Yankees franchise.
                              Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

                              Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

                              Comment


                              • A case could be made that the building itself was still standing, even if the seats and field had been removed... so the old girl did, in fact, "hear" one more World Series victory... albeit on her deathbed...
                                X
                                What's THAT guy doing?
                                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X