X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to NY 1 the upper deck will be gone in 3 weeks
    Click on the link to watch the video

http://www.ny1.com/6-bronx-news-cont...ium-demolition

As the old Yankee Stadium continues to be demolished, city and Bronx officials announced Wednesday that the surrounding neighborhood will soon receive enough replacement park land.
    The upper deck of the "House That Ruth Built" is being torn down piece by piece. Officials said today that the entire upper deck will come down in three weeks and the entire structure will be razed by June.

Park advocates are upset that the demolition has taken so long, but city officials said Yankee Stadium cannot be compared to Shea Stadium, which came down right away.

"You're in the middle of a neighborhood, you have major transportation structure right next to the stadium. We need to do this in a safe way," said Economic Development Corporation Chairman Seth Pinsky. "The good news is that in the meantime, we've accomplished an enormous amount. We've opened a number of parks, we've built the parking garages, we've built a new Metro-North station."

"This reason why this is taking so long is that I believe, and what the community believes, is that there was much for of a focus in making sure that the new stadium goes up across the street," said Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. "The Yankees did not know whether or not they were going they were going to be able to open the new ball field for the start of the new season, so they kept the footprint here just in case."

A new track, soccer field and tennis courts are soon opening a few blocks away from the old stadium. Yet advocates are still upset that the Yankees are entering their second season in a new stadium built on former park land, while the replacement parks are still incomplete.

"This community is losing two ball fields, at the end of the day, to make way for the New York Yankees," said Geoffrey Croft of New York Park Advocates. "It's a horrific deal and the elected officials just stood by and allowed it to happen."

Once the stadium comes down, it will be replaced by several baseball fields called "Heritage Park."

Some community members had previously asked for the city to preserve the old stadium's Gate 2 entryway, but city officials say it cannot be done.

(WHY THE HELL NOT?!?!?)
    Last edited by genop; 03-10-2010, 04:02 PM.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee - Joe Dimaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by genop View Post
      (WHY THE HELL NOT?!?!?)
      follow the $$$'s... - made famous during the watergate investigation
      the turd in the punchbowl
      reality really sucks.
      enjoy the game more...

Comment

• got some nice exclusives as another part of the UD comes crumbling down...heres one, the rest are at my site.

www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• It's like watching a carier sink...

Comment

• I see catwalks.

Comment

• (It's after 4.00pm now. Did anything happen that would make a visitor not be disappointed, as 410 FT implied? )

Nah,just a piece of the Upper deck crashing to the ground,that's all. Oh,then there was a spectator who ran onto what was center field and he was arrested:

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

For anyone who is new to baseball-fever, just look at this post and realize this is what we do here. This is the gold standard. That is all. Good day.

Stadium Related: Did we ever confirm with certainty that the dugouts were buried and not destroyed?

I (possibly) stand corrected, Locke:

I went looking thru the demolition photos & the last time I could see the Yankee dugout still there was 12/15. In one of those photos, it appreared that it had been filled up with dirt & in the process of being buried. The visitors dugout photographed on the same day appears to be the one that was smashed up, not the Yankee dugout. Wouldn't it be cool if Turner left it (pretty much) intact & buried some sort of time capsule inside of it? Workers working on Yankee Stadium IV might find it, as well as maybe some of the paint & logos on the roof still being readable, etc?

How cool would THAT be to unearth?!
                ------------------------------------------
                www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
                  (It's after 4.00pm now. Did anything happen that would make a visitor not be disappointed, as 410 FT implied? )

Nah,just a piece of the Upper deck crashing to the ground,that's all.
                  Saw that. Not the crashing down part, but the fact that it was taken down. (Went up there tonight after work.) Some of the external outfield wall was also removed, including the portion with the half-Yankee logo.
                  X
                  What's THAT guy doing?
                  - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• What are you doing up so late Gary? Guaranted the Yankee logo is smashed into pieces. Is it just our imagination that this place is important? And what the hell is a Met fan saying this? I just don't get it. Shouldn't that wall piece/ logo have been cut and saved to display in Cooperstown alongside a poster size photo of the the wall during it's heyday?

Comment

• Originally posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
                      The facts don't quite bear out your assertions regarding NYC as an "NL town". I'm familiar with the numbers that follow due to a project for a statistics class a few years back.

From the time Babe Ruth arrived in NY (1920) until the departure of the Dodgers and Giants to California (after the 1957 season), here are the percentages for all baseball tickets sold in NYC:

Yankees 41%
                      Dodgers 30%
                      Giants 29%

What the hell do I know, I'm a postal worker!!!
                      Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Here are some pictures from Tuesday...

And we begin with a zoom-lens view of the Yankee logo from a souvenir stand on the Tier level concourse...

Next, another zoom-lens shot, this one showing where the "26 Time World Champions" sign on the facade of the upper deck was located...

Staying with the zoom-lens shots, here's one of the portal between Tier sections 3 and 1. Interesting to see that the railings around the portals, as well as the ones just in front of them, were never removed...

Enough of the stadium has been removed that you can see right through to the Gate 4 escalator pod. You're looking through the Loge level in this shot...

As twilight arrives in the Bronx, the lights in the concourses become more prominent...

Here's a night view from inside the new Macombs Dam Park... little did I know the stands above the black netting would be gone less than 24 hours later...

Night view from 158th Street at River Avenue...

Gotta love the closeups those zoom lenses offer! Here's a twilight view of the ramps on the Loge level near the former Gate 2 escalator bank...

And here's another angle, looking at the ramp next to the wall...

Finally, a night view from the 161st Street subway platform... as was the case with the stands, little did I know most of the outfield wall would be gone the next day...

More photos from the 9th can be found on Flickr, and the link is right here.
                        X
                        What's THAT guy doing?
                        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• If they knock down gate 2 i will tear up my yankees fan membership card...
                          www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Form today's Daily News - four months and it's gone: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...d_stadium.html

Comment

• I'm not sure if these pictures were posted yet, but I just found these on line:

http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/6543729...tentId=5723438
                              Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
                              Ernest Hemingway
                              “The Old Man and the Sea”

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
                                The facts don't quite bear out your assertions regarding NYC as an "NL town". I'm familiar with the numbers that follow due to a project for a statistics class a few years back.

From the time Babe Ruth arrived in NY (1920) until the departure of the Dodgers and Giants to California (after the 1957 season), here are the percentages for all baseball tickets sold in NYC:

Yankees 41%
                                Dodgers 30%
                                Giants 29%
                                So, what you're saying is, 59% of all baseball tickets sold between 1920 and 1957 were to NATIONAL LEAGUE games.

Thanks for clearing that up......

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X