No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's interesting that Seth Pinsky from the city's economic development corp thinks Turner is being more carefull in taking her down. Especially the part where vibrations have to be avoided due to the subway. He wasn't standing on the platform when a piece of the Upper deck comes down and a 3 on a Richter scale is felt for 4 seconds,with light fictures shaking. Do that approximately 12 times and you better have a city engineer check the subway when all is done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralf View Post
      So, what you're saying is, 59% of all baseball tickets sold between 1920 and 1957 were to NATIONAL LEAGUE games.

Thanks for clearing that up......
      That's awesome....
      Not Mommy, not Daddy.....METSIE, METSIE, METSIE.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralf View Post
        So, what you're saying is, 59% of all baseball tickets sold between 1920 and 1957 were to NATIONAL LEAGUE games.

Thanks for clearing that up......
        Like I said, What the hell do I know, I'm a postal worker. That one went right over my head. How did I miss that one?
        Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• A quote from the Daily News article cited above:

Unlike the Mets' old home - which came down in eight months - Yankee Stadium is yards away from an elevated train, preventing workers from using explosives or equipment that causes vibrations.

The article seems to have been written without basic fact-checking: It was Shea Stadium that was situated YARDS from the 7-train (if someone could follow-up on this and get a measurement via GoogleEarth from Gate E to the 7 tracks to get a precise fix) while Yankee Stadium is mere FEET away from the 4-train. I liberally estimate about 35 feet from the bleacher wall to the curbside track pillars (Again, a GoogleEarth verification, please?).

After watching the collapse of Upper Sections 24-28 1/2 yesterday and feeling the immediate ground impact from the subway platform, I am really curious as to what the cumulative effects will be for the apartment buildings in the immediate area from the repeated vibrations. While I am putting my faith in the integrity of their construction quailty, they were certainly not designed with serial earthquakes in mind, even if on a minor scale.

Look for someone to serve up a lawsuit based on that premise. Bets, anyone?

Dennis
          BrooklynDodger14
          Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 03-11-2010, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
            A quote from the Daily News article cited above:

Unlike the Mets' old home - which came down in eight months
            The last standing piece of Shea Stadium actually came down less than five months after the final game (9/28/08 - 2/11/09).

And you make some interesting points about a possible "earthquake" effect on the nearby apartments. The only actual YS fall I've had the "honor" of seeing was the remaining outfield wall, and I was surprised at how "quiet" it was - which just means I was expecting its fall to make more noise than it did. But I suppose falling concrete and steel, especially from a higher point, is louder and would have more than an effect.

This may be apples v. oranges, but I was there when the last standng piece of Shea came down and I don't recall feeling any kind of ground impact... but then again I was on the ground, not on an adjacent subway platform (and even if I was, the Willets Point platform wasn't as close to Shea as 161st Street is to Yankee Stadium).
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
              Here are some pictures from Tuesday...
              haunting image

Comment

• According to the NY Times, Gate 2 is doomed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/sp...11stadium.html

Comment

• Seeing these photos is like seeing the aftermath of the Manson murders or the Bataan Death March. Only worse. Much worse.

Oh dear God! What has the human race done!
                  Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                    Seeing these photos is like seeing the aftermath of the Manson murders or the Bataan Death March. Only worse. Much worse.

Oh dear God! What has the human race done!
                    You should write a book of all the statements youve made- very funny stuff

Comment

• YANKEE STADIUM
                      1922-1973 and 1974-2010
                      Rest in Pieces
                      Last edited by Chris Jones; 03-11-2010, 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• Originally posted by tdinan View Post
                        According to the NY Times, Gate 2 is doomed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/sp...11stadium.html
                        Great article except for the lies he decided to print.

"City Officials giving a press tour of the demolition said they had no intention of saving Gate 2, as preservation- minded advocates want, because keeping it would interfere with the location of the fields"
                        Attached Files
                        Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Originally posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
                          The facts don't quite bear out your assertions regarding NYC as an "NL town". I'm familiar with the numbers that follow due to a project for a statistics class a few years back.

From the time Babe Ruth arrived in NY (1920) until the departure of the Dodgers and Giants to California (after the 1957 season), here are the percentages for all baseball tickets sold in NYC:

Yankees 41%
                          Dodgers 30%
                          Giants 29%
                          While we wait for some more YS demo pictures, just a couple of quick comments to your post. I see you took 'statistics', then you probably heard of Harry S Truman's quote: "there are 3 types of lies; lies, damn lies, and statistics".

Let's say your attendance numbers are right. That just confirms 59% of tickets were to NL games.

You left out a few variables that skew your stats:

1) The capacity at OYS was much higher than either the Polo Grounds (56,000) or Ebbets (32,000). When teams like St Louis came calling, huge crowds at the NL parks were cut off. The Giants once drew 63,000 in 1936 vs the Cards. The best Brooklyn could do was squeeze 41,000 in. Big games at OYS could squeeze in maybe 80,000.

2) The Yankee games almost never competed directly with the Dodgers or Giants. When the Yanks were home, both NY NL teams were on the road. Conversely, when the NL teams were home, the Yanks were on the road and the NL teams went head to head. Check out pictures of the OYS scoreboard.

3) with the advent of TV, the Brooklyn Dodgers televised many more games than the Yankees and Giants did. The Yanks and Jints both shared Ch 11; Brooklyn had Ch 9 all to themselves. The novelty of TV kept people in their living rooms 1948-1957.

4)Brooklyn was the most profitable franchise in sports despite having such a small park.:flow:

5) winning had a lot to do with drawing as evidenced by the 625,000 1925 season attendance at OYS....about a 50% drop from the Polo Grounds 1921 NYY attendance. The NYY franchise did not break that Polo Grounds record until 1946 at YS.

So we agree that nearly 60% of MLB fans rooted for the NL during the Yankees glory days?

(And let's not delve into the ethnicity of the fan base....the Dodgers , then the Giants, aggressively tried to be inclusive in their ballparks. Let's not go into what NYY sent their ticket holders as part of their questionaire in the late 1940's....)

NOW>>>back to the demo please !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                            Let's not go into what NYY sent their ticket holders as part of their questionaire in the late 1940's....
                            1940s New York Yankees Ticket Holder Questionnaire.
                            1. Are you a rotten pool player?
                            2. Are you a rotten bowler?
                            3. Are you a rotten cornet player?
                            4. Can you speak French?
                            5. Do you pay your debts?

X
                            What's THAT guy doing?
                            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Gary,that approx 4' NY on the wall I believe is the entrance to the executive offices.

Comment

• Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
                                Gary,that approx 4' NY on the wall I believe is the entrance to the executive offices.
                                no office entrance for the upper ("tier") deck that's where the monogram is...

the euphemisms (tier, view, promenade etc.) used by sports teams to describe the upper decks reminds me of my mom's take on the neighborhood name - "bronxville manor".
                                "...it's bronxville upper deck, for those who want the name but can't afford the real one..."

oh, have i mentioned that she accidently got my dad his job at the nyy and their engagement party was the '56 world series party?
                                Last edited by Paul W; 03-11-2010, 01:06 PM.
                                the turd in the punchbowl
                                reality really sucks.
                                enjoy the game more...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X