No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my pictures of Gate Two, while we're on the subject -- I was looking at it yesterday, it is pretty imposing, and representative of the Stadium in all its incarnations, including the renovation, an irrevocable part of its long history.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by petemig View Post
      For all the people that have knowledge of the "Save Gate 2" proposals I am going to ask this question again. Gate 2 is a feature of the entire Yankees Stadium and as such it really only had 2 walls, the one facing 161st St. and the other facing towards the bleachers. The other side was completely open to the concourse and had no actual walls to separate it from the open concourse. What was the proposal to remedy this and how much was that going to cost? I always loved the idea of saving Gate 2 but always wondered how that whole lack of a 3rd wall was going to be answered and I also suspect that this may be the reason why the city is against saving the gate.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
      Good morning, petemig,

While you make an interesting point about the lack of walls once past the entrances of Gate 2, you must remember that the weight that is borne by most structures is contained in the framework.

Any preservation of Gate 2 should (and I believe, would) include the internal pillars going to either at least the original grandstand/concourse line or, at most, the 1976 box girder line (the back row column line of the field and loge levels). Neither of those column lines would impose upon the proposed field areas, which is one of the primary DUMB reasons that opponents cite to prevent saving Gate 2.

Dennis
      BrooklynDodger14
      Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 03-21-2010, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by quagmire View Post
        So if one day the President decides to to build a new White House, you wouldn't mind the demo of the old one? Would you have any problem if the Greeks tore down the Parthenon, or the Italians tearing down the Colosseum? Why should the Egyptians maintain the great pyramids? ]You may say Yankee Stadium can't be compared to those, but I argue it can.After all the Colosseum was a sports arena just like Yankee Stadium.
        No on all accounts.

I also would not jump off of a bridge just because someone else did.
        Last edited by JohnCropp; 03-21-2010, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsean View Post
          Lop off the top section and it's still a structure no older than 1928. That's old enough to cause most not to quibble.
          The ballpark across the street is enough to cause most not to quibble.

Most.

Comment

• Is 5 years really that big a deal? Regardless, it still was there for Ruth, Gehrig, Dimag, and Mickey. The lower portion is the actual gate itself and people have been going in and out of it since 1923.
            ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gehrig27 View Post
              Is 5 years really that big a deal? Regardless, it still was there for Ruth, Gehrig, Dimag, and Mickey. The lower portion is the actual gate itself and people have been going in and out of it since 1923.
              Well, if you're going to fight to preserve something, why not pick something that was there from the begining?

Anyway, this is really a discussion for another thread. Let's get on with the topic at hand... who's got some pictures???
              Last edited by JohnCropp; 03-21-2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
                The ballpark across the street is enough to cause most not to quibble.

Most.
                The argument was that it's not worth saving because it's not "original". Well, not really the case as most of it is pretty old. Whether or not it's worth saving at all is another matter entirely and one on which I already know is futile to waste electronic breath. Personally I would have liked to have something left of the old park, but whaddyagonnado?

Comment

The argument was that it's not worth saving because it's not "original". Well, not really the case as most of it is pretty old. Whether or not it's worth saving at all is another matter entirely and one on which I already know is futile to waste electronic breath. Personally I would have liked to have something left of the old park, but whaddyagonnado?
                  And despite it not being fully in place in 1923, it was always planned to expand the stadium.

It was to be fully enclosed as well, but that never did happen.

Comment

• Dear Gehrig27,

No, 5 years is not a big deal. The big deal is that the Steinbrenners and Mayor Bloomberg don't want to save Gate 2 - or any other part of the original Yankee Stadium. NYC has been giving all sorts of BS excuses to people trying to save Gate 2 for not saving it because of politics &/or a deal between the Steinbrenners and NYC so as not to impede on the George Steinbrenner memorial (new Yankee Stadium). Plain and simple. Any of those &/or other reasons.

The new Yankee Stadium is a beautiful building from the photos I've seen on Baseball Fever. I have not yet visited it. Both the old and new Yankee Stadiums have their own qualities, so they really don't compete with each other. For instance, the exterior of the original Yankee Stadium was made of concrete, whereas the new Yankee Stadium is made of limestone. The original Yankee Stadium has its proud history as to who played there and the events held there. The new Yankee Stadium already has a World Series under its belt, with much more history to be made.

The whole Gate 2 structure is still from the original Yankee Stadium. It will not take away from the beauty or the growing history of the New Yankee Stadium. Both Yankee Stadiums will have their own chapters in baseball and world history. What will happen, if Gate 2 or another good sized portion of old Yankee Stadium is not saved as a monument to the world's greatest baseball stadium, is that people will forever know that it could have been saved for current and future generations, but was not due to any or all of the above reasons.

And, if nothing is saved of the original building, which we all know has witnessed so many historical events, the names of Bloomberg and Steinbrenner will forever be JUSTIFIABLY blamed for this crime against historical preservation. Or, if they are wise and save Gate 2 or a good sized portion of original Yankee Stadium, they will be thanked for their benevolence and wisdom. Other names of decision makers and political leaders involved will also receive the same fate throughout history. It's already started.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

Personally I would have liked to have something left of the old park, but whaddyagonnado?
                      Haha, this is the first time I've seen someone other than myself use that colloquialism. ...and I've been putting it into action on occasion for many years! Very cool, sir. :cap:
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

• I wonder what the catwalks look like internally for the 70's renovations portals. I have never seen it referred to as such, but if you think about it, the walkways through the new portals are structurally probably no more than enclosed catwalks themselves, just as the old catwalks ended as entry portals. I wonder if we can spot one in a side view of the upper deck demolition.

Comment

• Just left and will download later. Yesterday at 1230 PM just made it after hearing mist machines droning from River Avenue and caught the only upper deck piece coming down ,by seconds. Video taped it and will also download soon. At work two days straight. After video took photo of dust settling:

Remaing pieces of right field upper deck "sliced"and ready to come down. Apparently from the last two upper deck removals,these all happen after 12 noon. Does anyone know if that's a union or city regulation where major demo must occur after AM? I would say extremely good chance for one or two right field upper deck pieces to fall tomorrow.

Having problem with uploading this video from my documents to YouTube. Isthere a limit per month? Done it this way before.

Comment

• Good afternoon "petemig"...the initial figure tossed around was 10 million; but after a wave of great proposals (Volunteer Worker Program), fund raisers (Commemorative Brick Drive...similar to the one at Citi Field), plus an incredible amount of engineers, architects, contruction workers, etc., all donating their services, the price tag dropped to one million (possibly less..and that included the sidewall).

Everytime we spoke with the Parks Department, the price went higher...10 to 13 to 15 million; and the Parks Dept. never allowed any of "our" experts on site for a "free" defenitive assessment.

Comment

• Originally posted by kobathecat View Post
                              I wonder what the catwalks look like internally for the 70's renovations portals. I have never seen it referred to as such, but if you think about it, the walkways through the new portals are structurally probably no more than enclosed catwalks themselves, just as the old catwalks ended as entry portals. I wonder if we can spot one in a side view of the upper deck demolition.
                              Circled in red.

Comment

• ...to "giantsean"...my thoughts and words exactly...if no one wants to save the entire Gate because of the "originality issue," which really isn't an "issue" at all, then just "lop" off the top 3/4's of the Gate and the street level (17 feet) of Gate 2 is 100% original to Opening Day / April 18, 1923.

Of all the great questions that torment humanity...the reasoning (or lack thereof) for not reserving Gate 2 (or at least a part of it) baffles me the most.
                                Last edited by Chris Jones; 03-21-2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X