Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    No. That went up right around the midpoint of last season.

From these two pics of mine, I've narrowed it down to July 24 - September 8th...
    Maybe somebody else has a pic between those two dates, so we can narrow it down even more...
    Gary?

"We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Looks like they shifted the Hard Rock sign as well. Funny that there doesn't seam to be any sign of this move on the awning.

Comment

• Yes they did. The Hard Rock sign used to be dead center when it was all by itself.
        They probably replaced the awning metal frame cover when the NYY Steak sign was added...
        "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• I've got some old demolition pictures to share... these are from last week... March 18, to be precise...

This is the section of the upper deck that was directly behind home plate...

Quick, get your cameras... the security gate is open...

Taking a dump on hallowed ground (sorry, I couldn't resist)... notice how the guy with the camera is discreetly filming away from the, er, action...

A demolition man in the stands...

In case anyone's been wondering what this long vertical thing is, it's an elevator bank...

The dark blue part of the facade is where the "26 Time World Champions" sign used to be...

The portal between sections 15 and 13 is less than 30 seconds away from being destroyed...

They've started doing excavation work outside the Team Store at Gate 4...

A view from directly behind home plate... less than 24 hours later, this view would change forever...

Finally, a nice widescreen twilight view showing the left field concourses all lit up... I'm really pleased with how this came out...

All of my photos from March 18 can be found here. And after you've seen those, look around... you might find something else you'll like...
          X
          What's THAT guy doing?
          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Yesterday's Daily News - 3-23-10

Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
            I did a quick search on the Daily News web site and found nothing.....

Any chance you have the link?

I agree with meeting to watch the final piece come down.
            How about the ACTUAL story in print, YS 1923?

This story was located on Page 6 of a (new) secondary insert section they have called "AM New York" in my paper yesterday. This new insert section is basically an advertising section with a few articles mixed in to make it look less like an advertising section.

So basically, this story didn't even make it into the "REAL" newspaper.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by RichieA13; 03-24-2010, 05:01 AM.
            ------------------------------------------
            www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
            www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
            www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
              This story was located on Page 6 of a (new) secondary insert section they have called "AM New York" in my paper yesterday.
              This new insert sections is basically an advertising section with a few articles mixed in to make it look like a newspaper.
              Good read......... sad story.........

Comment

• It was in the Daily News, I think that is a pretty good accomplishment.

Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post

This story was located on Page 6 of a (new) secondary insert section they have called "AM New York" in my paper yesterday. This new insert section is basically an advertising section with a few articles mixed in to make it look less like an advertising section.

Comment

• I was in NO WAY demeaning Gate 2's effort to get their story out there & into the newspaper, sabbathunter. Congrats to them!! ANY ink is good ink (for the MOST part, anyway!!) I was taking a shot at the Daily News for not deeming the story important enough to run it in the "actual" newspaper.
                  Last edited by RichieA13; 03-24-2010, 05:14 AM.
                  www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                  www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                  www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Uploaded a batch from yesterday...

www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                      This is worse than Jones Town and the Hale Bopp Comet folks put together.
                      Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post

Dear RichieA13,

Thank you for posting this. It is a great story that should have been published quite a while ago in the normal section of the Daily News Sports section in NYC and Long Island. This way everybody buying the paper would have seen it and would have been aware as to what was going on.

If Gate 2 is knocked down and no portion of Yankee Stadium is left standing to represent the sheer magnitude of this sacred ballpark, somewhere along the line people are going to realize what has happened, and inundate the Mayor's office and the Yankees organization with protests for not saving anything of the Stadium. They won't be able to defend themeselves because there is no defense against fully obliterating this national/international shrine.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• From the demolitionofyankeestadium.com website, Drew writes:

What a great website and final tribute to the greatest and most historic ballpark ever, Yankee Stadium. I am a lover of the game and the ballparks it is played in. If you will permit me I have written some final thoughts on Yankee Stadium and I’d like to share them. Not everyone will agree I’m sure, but nevertheless it serves as my coming to terms with this very sad event.

Let’s face it, the argument over Yankee Stadium (the old Yankee Stadium pre 1973, the refurbished Yankee Stadium from 1976 to 2008 and the new Yankee Stadium 2009) boils down to in the final analysis whether or not you believe in unwavering tradition. The Yankees are tradition by their very nature, and they have a very special place in our American culture regardless of where you are from in America or what team you root for. That being said I personally believe the Yankees parted with tradition when they turned their back on the Yankee Stadium. My first inkling of this fact occurred in 1973 when the Yankees started what is commonly referred to as the renovation of the “House That Ruth Built”. I don’t know about you, but as far as I am concerned, this was an ominous sign of things to come!

Never mind that the greatest and most famous sports stadium in the world is being demolished as I write this! What the profit driven sports progressives did to Yankee Stadium in 1973 thru 1975 was akin to painting over a Rembrandt with glitter paint. Yes Yankee Stadium was showing its age in 1973, but so was Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. Those two sports icons are still with us today. God forbid they should meet the same fate as Yankee Stadium!

Understandably, by today’s high standards Wrigley and Fenway can’t come close to the amenities offered by the new retro ballparks with their luxury boxes, restaurants, picnic areas, spas, hairdressers, massage therapists, and continual assault on the ears with every manner of music known to man, and not to mention the commercials blaring at us. I guess I just don’t understand why baseball has to be such an extravagant and intense assault on the senses. It is bucolic in its nature. As it proceeds it is a pastoral poem. Just by walking out through the stands into the seating area one is struck by the beauty of the grass and white lines on brown soil.
                          I don’t understand why such a sports cathedral with as hallowed ground as Yankee Stadium possessed had to be completely made over in the first place, and I’ll never understand why it had to be destroyed. You cannot tell me that all the ways to update Yankee Stadium were exhausted. With the technology that existed in 1973 and today any one of a million things could have been done to preserve that amazing and historic ballpark and made it as comfortable as possible for fans. Think about it. You sit for a couple of hours, eat hot dogs, and watch baseball, the greatest game that was ever invented. Why do I need leather upholstered chairs, a television and a window in front of me when I’M AT THE BALLPARK? I want to be outside. And if it’s too warm or too cold I’m intelligent enough to dress accordingly!

But the winds of progress, driven by greed and lack of imagination swept through and defiled what was once a magnificent edifice. Player’s salaries became so exorbitant, that the owners sought new ways to raise revenue. Among them were amenities, such as luxury boxes. Rather than put money into an old decrepit (you say it was by no means decrepit and I agree) building, let’s just tear it down and replace it. That’s what we do so well in America. Out with the old and in with the new! With few exceptions and conservation committees who are active in their communities, we unlike Europe fail to cherish and revere our architecture and cultural icons. If we did Yankee Stadium might still be in pre 1973 existence. Prior to 1973 the opportunity existed to sit in a box seat at ground level (I mean at ground level), and to walk across the outfield grass at the end of the game and linger at the monuments for a few moments and to stand in awe at the expanse of death valley before exiting under the bleachers in center field. Remember the monuments were on the field in those days.

Baseball is a spectator sport with ebbs and flows. It explodes with bursts of action and excitement and then there are moments to savor in the lull of activity or between innings, when in years past one could hear himself think. It is a time when one should be able to smell the cut green grass and marvel at how a white sphere gently bounces and skips over the same. Older ballparks and stadiums that were built within the confines of city streets and integrated into the neighborhood were special places. Some like Yankee Stadium should have been preserved. However sadly this is not the case. The House That Ruth Built and the Home of Champions is no more. The new “Yankee” stadium that has been constructed on McComb’s Dam Park across the street from 161st Street and River Avenue is but a meager attempt to capture the magnificence of what was the greatest ballpark of all time. Now it is lost to the ages.

Out with the old and in with the new. Shame on us!
                          sigpic

Comment

• Dear locke40,

Thank you for posting this. Drew hit the nail on the head and did so in a stunningly elegant letter!!! What makes it worse is NOT to save Gate 2 or another section of wall.
                            SOMETHING of the Stadium should be preserved so people of future generations will be able to grasp an idea as to its true magnificence. To leave nothing of the original ballpark is a terrible injustice to old Yankee Stadium and future generations. They will ask "Why was nothing saved of it? There will be no justifiable answer.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• I have more fun riding my bike with my son on the back down to the local high school baseball game. And on the way home my wallet isn't sobbing from the full-on butt pounding it received from Major League baseball.

Eff 'em! Eff 'em all!
                              Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                                Dear locke40,

Thank you for posting this. Drew hit the nail on the head and did so in a stunningly elegant letter!!! What makes it worse is NOT to save Gate 2 or another section of wall.
                                SOMETHING of the Stadium should be preserved so people of future generations will be able to grasp an idea as to its true magnificence. To leave nothing of the original ballpark is a terrible injustice to old Yankee Stadium and future generations. They will ask "Why was nothing saved of it? There will be no justifiable answer.

-Mike Wagner
                                Hi Mike,

No problem at all. I thought it was an excellent read that would be appreciated on this website; Drew definitely has a way with words. And I agree, if nothing substantial is saved (please spare me the hideous bat/vent/whatever that thing is), future generations will look down on the Yankees, just as I look down on those responsible for the renovation.

I feel sorry for Teixeira/CC/Burnett, who never got to experience what it feels like to win at the real Yankee Stadium. It must have felt weird for the older players to celebrate on their home field, and not having the deafening crowd noise right on top of you. Sad state of affairs.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X