Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dpcv8 View Post
    Do you belive in the tooth fairy as well?

The only "intangibles" they Yankees have over the rest of MLB is their revenue stream that allows them to buy the best players at contracts that are unreasonable for any other team to match.

All those "intaginbles" didn't mean a thing in the 80's when Georges meddling prevented a good team from being put out on the field.

If "intangiles" were worth anything, then Notre Damn football would be competeing for a championship every year.
    Ok, I will use your Notre Dame example to prove the existence of "intangibles". You will remember a few years back when Notre Dame actually had a decent team, they were the biggest college football story, and the whole country seemed to rally behind them. I am not saying that a team with intangible qualities automatically means a championship. If Notre Dame ever fields a championship team, they will be a much, much bigger story than just about every other team because of the history, and the intangible quality of both the team and their stadium. I am saying that with the demolition of Yankee Stadium, the team is losing a large part of their intangible appeal.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
      No. You don't toast OYS/RYS inside of NYS. The Yankee Tavern goes back to the days of The Babe, so it's an appropriate lication.

We should be toasting OYS/RYS AND NYS on that day..
      Besides, the Babe abandoned RYS, in October of 2004.. :P
      "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by JE Piper View Post
        "The Destruction of Yankee Stadium with the Theoretical Rescue of Gate Two," a classic engraving by Giovanni Battista Piranesi.
        Hey! Original catwalks! Oh...oh no... sorry... those are catacombs.

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsean View Post
          Is it in that section because it IS a paid piece? Maybe Richard can weigh in.

I didn't realize it was a paid piece.....that may indeed be why it was placed there instead of the regular section.
          ------------------------------------------
          www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
          www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
          www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by dpcv8 View Post
            Do you belive in the tooth fairy as well?

The only "intangibles" they Yankees have over the rest of MLB is their revenue stream that allows them to buy the best players at contracts that are unreasonable for any other team to match.

All those "intaginbles" didn't mean a thing in the 80's when Georges meddling prevented a good team from being put out on the field.

If "intangiles" were worth anything, then Notre Damn football would be competeing for a championship every year.
            During the 80s into the early 90s the Yankee finanical advantage wasn't nearly as over-powering as it is today and as a result smaller market teams were able to maintain a presence on the free agent market. Guys like Greg Maddux could use the Yankees to raise the price of the team they wanted to play with. No one uses the Yankees any more because the Yankees are financially capable of absolutely blowing away all competing teams on the free agent market. This wasn't as evident in 1993. I don't believe George's meddling had all that much to do with it. He fired Yogi Berra a couple weeks into the season in 1985 and saved the season. I don't believe the 1985 team would have won 97 games if Billy Martin wasn't the manager. And it wasn't George's fault that Dave Righetti blew copious amounts of big games knocking the team out of contention during the second half of the 1987 and 1988 seasons.
            Last edited by scooterfan; 03-24-2010, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Any updates on today?
              X
              What's THAT guy doing?
              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by tugger View Post
                CC experienced what it feels like to win at the real Yankee Stadium in 2007.

The last ever "playoff" game in OYS/RYS history...
                "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by DN4L View Post
                  ...and I'm so glad that my Tribe could "poop" in the Yankeea pool for a change. Between that and the lambasting of NYS opening day last year and the game with the 14 run inning a few days later...well, it just feels good.
                  Yeah, I know 27 blah, blah, blah. You guys sound like a broken record. Someday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eyeshade View Post
                    ...and I'm so glad that my Tribe could "poop" in the Yankeea pool for a change. Between that and the lambasting of NYS opening day last year and the game with the 14 run inning a few days later...well, it just feels good.
                    Yeah, I know 27 blah, blah, blah. You guys sound like a broken record. Someday.
                    Everytime I watch the Indians, I always think of this movie. Do the locals like or despise that movie??

Last edited by locke40; 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM. Reason: 27 blah, blah, blah.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DN4L View Post
                      I was at the last game played at Yankee Stadium by an AL East division leader: Sept 14, 2008 Yankees v. Rays

When I bought those tickets the previous February, I had no idea how significant that match-up would be!

Comment

• Anyone have any old pictures of Yankee Tavern?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                          will you-all up on the subway station platform, the mta deficit must be drying up...
                          $9 in Metrocard fees, plus 6 bridge tolls ($30 on my EZPass?) from me alone!
                          StadiumPage.com
                          Stadium Google Map

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                            How come the demo team has to remove the entire grandstand first before removing the facade? Wouldn't it be faster if they knocked down the remaining parts of the grandstand while at the same time tearing down Gate 2 on the opposite side of the stadium? I don't see how the two can possibly interfere with one another, and I would think it could make the entire process much quicker.
                            Removing the facade? Do you mean the exterior wall? If you are questioning their destruction efforts, It looks like they are following a methodology of how to destroy a hollowed piece of American history. Field, seats, lower level, loge level, outfield, upper deck and exterior wall. Anyone of youze peoples who disputes that this is a piece of American history is clearly disillusioned!

Comment

• That picture is actually from when the Indians won the central division that year, not the ALDS and nowhere near Yankee Stadium....sorry, couldn't resist.
                              ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

• Originally posted by TnNYYfan View Post
                                Anyone have any old pictures of Yankee Tavern?
                                How about the Pine Tavern on Bronxdale Avenue in The Bronx?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X