Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    Removing the facade? Do you mean the exterior wall? If you are questioning their destruction efforts, It looks like they are following a methodology of how to destroy a hollowed piece of American history. Field, seats, lower level, loge level, outfield, upper deck and exterior wall. Anyone of youze peoples who disputes that this is a piece of American history is clearly disillusioned!
    I used to say 'facade' to mean the copper thing that wraps around the stadium. The BBF people corrected me and said thats called a 'frize' and the 'facade' is the outer wall which you are calling 'exterior.' So yes, exterior, fine. I'm not disputing anything I'm just wondering why they are destroying it the way they are....does anybody else wanna try giving my question a shot?
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
      I used to say 'facade' to mean the copper thing that wraps around the stadium. The BBF people corrected me and said thats called a 'frize' and the 'facade' is the outer wall which you are calling 'exterior.' So yes, exterior, fine. I'm not disputing anything I'm just wondering why they are destroying it the way they are....does anybody else wanna try giving my question a shot?
      http://www.turnerconstruction.com/co...tent.asp?d=176

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
        if steiner/nyy can't or don't sell it, nobody will get it...
        the turd in the punchbowl
        reality really sucks.
        enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
          Everytime I watch the Indians, I always think of this movie. Do the locals like or despise that movie??

lol, thats one of my favorite movies of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EpLQ...eature=related

I remember how awesome it was that the Yankees were good and playing in the meaningful games in the movie. I was a kid, i had never witnessed good Yankee baseball before.
          www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• NYC Parks Dept sending this out...

Got this in the mail today from NYC Parks and Recreation Department...

Anyone else seen these?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Here is some amazing aerial footage of RYS from the intro of The Babe
              Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post

Here is some amazing aerial footage of RYS from the intro of The Babe
                I happened to be listening to "Ecstasy of Gold" when I hit the play button on this video. I put the Youtube vid on mute and kept "Ecstasy" playing. The two go well together - powerful stuff!
                sigpic

Comment

• Today March 24,2010 at about 12:30:

The wires have been attached to the two remaining upper deck pieces and they will come down ,I hear" in the morning.

Old paint on the front steel pieces?:

What's left of the upper deck:

The best from todays 50 shots:

Last edited by 410 FT; 03-24-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Hey guys. I was around Yankee Stadium today. Took soom pics of the demolition. There are more cracks around the top portion of the exterior walls. The thing that really hit me coming up from the major deegan is how unrecognizable the place is. The first though that came to mind was this place is no longer a stadium. I notice NYS a lot more now.

Sorry for the bad quality. I took them with my blackberry. Enjoy:
                    Attached Files
                    Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
                    Ernest Hemingway
                    “The Old Man and the Sea”

sigpic

Comment

• Here's a few morepics zooming in to some of the holes made in the wall:
                      Attached Files
                      Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
                      Ernest Hemingway
                      “The Old Man and the Sea”

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                        lol, thats one of my favorite movies of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EpLQ...eature=related

I remember how awesome it was that the Yankees were good and playing in the meaningful games in the movie. I was a kid, i had never witnessed good Yankee baseball before.
                        I love hating the tribe, but this movie almost converted me. Luckily I prayed to Jobu and I was cured.

Joe you weren't around in the early 80's? Winfield, Donnie Baseball?

Comment

• What's missing from this picture?

Comment

• Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
                            What's missing from this picture?
                            And there used to be a ballpark where the field was warm and green
                            And the people played their crazy game with a joy I'd never seen
                            And the air was such a wonder from the hot dogs and the beer
                            Yes, there used a ballpark right here

X
                            What's THAT guy doing?
                            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                              And there used to be a ballpark where the field was warm and green
                              And the people played their crazy game with a joy I'd never seen
                              And the air was such a wonder from the hot dogs and the beer
                              Yes, there used a ballpark right here

Fine reply! I had to break that ole standard out and listen to it about 3 times. I remember someone mentioning it last season when Shea came down and doing the same thing. I also remember 2 years ago on a Sunday in July, walking through Times Square listening to Bobby Darin's "Sunday in New York" (I know, it's a touristy thing to do, but hell, we are all just visitors) on the IPod and then later, taking the train down to Brooklyn and listening to Frankie's "Ballpark right here" tune whilst taking photographs of the apartments where old Ebbets Field used to be. Very fitting tune when a ballpark is not there anymore or is getting ready "not to be" . . .

Comment

• My photos from last Friday (3/19)...

Here's a digital-zoom closeup showing the escalator on the Tier level, that would lead you to/from the Gate 4 escalator pod... to the left of those three hanging red things you can see one of the escalator handrails...

Another digital-zoom closeup, this one showing a moving construction vehicle in the Tier concourse...

On the 161st Street platform - two painters painting for two different purposes...

The exterior view from directly behind home plate...

Rubble on the steps of Gate 2...

...which most likely came from here...

And now for something completely different... a few shots from a very special vantage point...

Finally... I had to save this one for last... as I've posted earlier, I had intended to be there when the upper deck section directly behind home plate came down... unfortunately, due to bad planning I got there just in time to see the cloud of dust as the uptown #4 train approached 161st Street... based on Bobby's video, my train got there at least one minute after the section actually fell - his video, which ran for a little over a minute, shows a downtown #4 train passing by, but not an uptown train... here's the photo I got, from a moving uptown #4 train...

(Surprisingly, it's been almost a week but I haven't seen any stills of the area behind home plate coming down... just a sequence from outside... please don't tell me Bobby and myself were the only Baseball Fever people to get shots of any kind...)

Here's a link to the rest of my photos from the 19th, except for the ones from the roof of 845 Gerard Avenue (the "very special vantage point," in case you didn't figure it out)... those will get their own place of honor in my Flickr photostream...
                                X
                                What's THAT guy doing?
                                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X