No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is any of this rubble able to be picked through? I want a nice sized chunk of Yankee Stadium. I know you can't get inside but are there any dumpsters outside waiting to be taken away?
    Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
      And there used to be a ballpark where the field was warm and green
      And the people played their crazy game with a joy I'd never seen
      And the air was such a wonder from the hot dogs and the beer
      Yes, there used a ballpark right here

Wow, you read my mind Gary, i was looking at the pictures above your post and starting thinking of Ole Blue Eyes singing this song, and then i scroll down and there it is in your post!!! Awesome, but sad, very sad. I wish i could stop looking at these pictures because all they do is make me sad, but i cant stop.
      I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

• Good job Gary. I see you finally got your rooftop shots. I have some from Feb that you guys haven't seen yet. Final two Tier sections fall today between 10AM-3PM.
        Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

(Surprisingly, it's been almost a week but I haven't seen any stills of the area behind home plate coming down... just a sequence from outside... please don't tell me Bobby and myself were the only Baseball Fever people to get shots of any kind...)
          Gary, unfortunately, it seems like you and Bobby are the only baseball-fever guys that are able to get up to the Bronx on a consistent basis. Just think, without you two, we probably would only have random demolition photos, and not know what is going on up there at all. I predict that baseball fans 200 years from now will know your name.
          Last edited by locke40; 03-25-2010, 06:41 AM. Reason: OYS >>>>>>>>>> NYS
          sigpic

Comment

And there used to be a ballpark where the field was warm and green
            And the people played their crazy game with a joy I'd never seen
            And the air was such a wonder from the hot dogs and the beer
            Yes, there used a ballpark right here

HBO used this classic to close out "The Ghosts of Flatbush." They showed Pig Town today. The Ebbets Field Apartments. Erskine Street exit on the Belt. Signs to the Jackie Robinson Parkway. Murals painted showing Brooklyn Dodger legends.

Very moving, indeed.
            20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
              Gary, unfortunately, it seems like you and Bobby are the only baseball-fever guys that are able to get up to the Bronx on a consistent basis. Just think, without you two, we probably would only have random demolition photos, and not know what is going on up there at all. I predict that baseball fans 200 years from now will know your name.
              It's possible. It could definitely happen if the consensus in the casual baseball community is that the old stadiums (Tiger Stadium, Yankee Stadium) shouldn't have been demolished. I don't think we're quite there yet, but we will be.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                It's possible. It could definitely happen if the consensus in the casual baseball community is that the old stadiums (Tiger Stadium, Yankee Stadium) shouldn't have been demolished. I don't think we're quite there yet, but we will be.
                Very true, the public is not quite there yet. The members of baseball-fever are so far ahead of the casual fan that we are not a true reflection of how the public thinks; however, the overall consensus on this site is that those stadiums should never have been demolished, and it is only a matter of time before the public/casual fan catches up. It could take a long time, however.
                sigpic

Comment

Very true, the public is not quite there yet. The members of baseball-fever are so far ahead of the casual fan that we are not a true reflection of how the public thinks; however, the overall consensus on this site is that those stadiums should never have been demolished, and it is only a matter of time before the public/casual fan catches up. It could take a long time, however.
                  Sounds kinda elitist.

Comment

• Please help. I have been fortunate (I guess) enough to take some pictures of the tragety that is taking place on 161st Street and don't know how to post them. Can I please get some guidance so I can share them and future pictures. Thank you,

Comment

I tend to agree with that. I take a class on New York City history, and we happened to discuss historical preservation as a result of Penn Station. while discussing this, I brought up Gate 2 and everyone in the class (nearly 40 people) didn't even know they had started demolition yet. Even on a forum like NYYfans (which I enjoy and frequent quite often), they are always a day late and a dollar short, and only get demolition news from here.
                      ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

• I think you guys are going to like the new look and functionality of doys, going with a totally new system that is going to catalog these pictures dating back to november 2008 to the extreme. I have a lot of reuploading to do.

Also, if anyone is interested in doing some writing ie. writing descriptions of pictures...id like to put a small staff together to handle this large job. You will be given a admin name and all that. PM me for details.
                        www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• I could have sworn that the request to preserve the balconies and terra cotta motifs (among other "decorative" elements of Gate 2) came from the COMMITTEE TO COMMEMORATE OLD YANKEE STADIUM. I know that it was that Committee which proposed renaming the park, OLD YANKEE STADIUM PARK (as opposed to Heritage Park) to which the Parks Department and Design Commission gave a "thumbs up."

I commend the COMMITTEE TO COMMEMORATE OLD YANKEE STADIUM for making a difference...Congratulations!
                          Last edited by Chris Jones; 03-25-2010, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SvobodaIT View Post
                            Sounds kinda elitist.
                            You are saying that like it's a bad thing. We are elite. I've been on stadium tours where I know more than the tour guide.

Originally posted by Gehrig27 View Post
                            I tend to agree with that. I take a class on New York City history, and we happened to discuss historical preservation as a result of Penn Station. while discussing this, I brought up Gate 2 and everyone in the class (nearly 40 people) didn't even know they had started demolition yet. Even on a forum like NYYfans (which I enjoy and frequent quite often), they are always a day late and a dollar short, and only get demolition news from here.
                            Wow, that is surprisingly sad. It's jarring to think that others honestly don't care about stadiums, given how much we invest in it. I guess it's like any other hobby. I couldn't tell you the first thing about stamp collecting, and a stamp collecting expert would probably laugh at my incompetence. The same is true on this site.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by kornraging19 View Post
                              Got this in the mail today from NYC Parks and Recreation Department...

Anyone else seen these?
                              I suggest we all call Liam and ask him to reconsider.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
                                I suggest we all call Liam and ask him to reconsider.
                                I say we ghostwrite a letter from the '27 Yankees thanking Liam for his help in keeping their memory alive.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X